BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

08-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #67
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
It good to see this being discussed. Becuase this has never been discussed before in the forum. EVER.

Past: E30 M3 /// E28 M5 /// E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #68
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
on my porsche...i was told to "drive it like i stole it" and not to do any slow break in...let it warm up properly and once at full operating temps drive the shit out of it. That is what i did. Porsche employee even explained that when they buy back cars, they prefer cars that are driven hard, and not ones owned by grandpas...that the engine last onger, developed less build uo ect.

there are people who believe it is better to break cars in that way...as cars do adapt to driving styles ect...theyre are more in depth reason that got to due to the metals in the engine (pistons ect) shaping.
Thats exactly how my dad broke in his porsche and it runs superstrong today after two year ownership. I'm believing the myth about breaking it in hard, though sadly i was to much of a pussy to break in the M like my dad!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #69
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Maybe because the "break in oil" is not oil at all, pure penetrating metal lubricant that cannot handle the viscosity of real oil. Dont follow the break in rules if you want to.... just dont forget that that little key fob thingy you have..... stores all the info on your car to include highest rpms, last fill up and top speed you have driven. warranty VOID!!!!
      08-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #70
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
Maybe because the "break in oil" is not oil at all, pure penetrating metal lubricant that cannot handle the viscosity of real oil. Dont follow the break in rules if you want to.... just dont forget that that little key fob thingy you have..... stores all the info on your car to include highest rpms, last fill up and top speed you have driven. warranty VOID!!!!
I doubt this very much... lets see some proof.

The engines are run in at the factory, rings take seat within the first 20 minutes of run time... your car has had 5x that by the time you get your hands on it. One of the problems maybe that since they don't change the run in oil and it stays in the engines until the change at 1200 miles they may want you to keep the speeds down as the oil is contaminated.

Things that need to be broken in are the clutch, brakes, LSD clutches... there will be some additional wear in of the valvetrain and gears but really road/RPM speed should make much of a difference as long as you are being sane.

IMO drive the car normally from day one but avoid tracking it or high speed runs for 1500-2000 miles.

BTW bmw will not void your warranty for not following break in procedure, maybe if you tracked the car before 1200 miles... but even then I doubt that would happen. They don't like pissing off customers who just bought $70,000 cars a month before.
      08-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #71
Radar10
Rep
Drives: '11 ///M3

Having just bought my M3 here in germany, the dealer "im pretty sure" said not following the break in will void the warranty. As far as the Demo rides, they have over here, the M's have to have the dealer accompany them on test rides during the break in period. either for the INS company or per BMW. It might be diffrent due to the fact that it is a military program though, although i doubt it. ill contact my dealer and see what he has to say about the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #72
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post

The engines are run in at the factory, rings take seat within the first 20 minutes of run time... your car has had 5x that by the time you get your hands on it. One of the problems maybe that since they don't change the run in oil and it stays in the engines until the change at 1200 miles they may want you to keep the speeds down as the oil is contaminated.

Things that need to be broken in are the clutch, brakes, LSD clutches... there will be some additional wear in of the valvetrain and gears but really road/RPM speed should make much of a difference as long as you are being sane.

IMO drive the car normally from day one but avoid tracking it or high speed runs for 1500-2000 miles.

BTW bmw will not void your warranty for not following break in procedure, maybe if you tracked the car before 1200 miles... but even then I doubt that would happen. They don't like pissing off customers who just bought $70,000 cars a month before.
This is total bo**cks, BMW DO Log RPM and max speeds, IF the running in service is missed, they will NOT honour some repairs, the engines are NOT run-in prior to you getting the car they are "Warm-tested" big difference.
Contrary to what you say there have been many cases were BMW will fight blown engine claims to the point of court action.
PS) In the UK if the running in service is missed the car is just about worthless as no one wants them including the dealerships unless the price is "Way down".
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #73
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Maybe this has been asked in the past, but If i can get a detailed explanation of the consequences of an improperly broken in car that would be great. That is to say, what happens if someone doesn't follow the 1200 mile break in period? What happens if they don't break in the 3100 mile process properly? I bought the car used, and it is in mint condition as far as I can tell. The car had about 2400 miles on it, and according to a service guy, who bye the way compared car service records to medical records, the 1200 mile service was done on time, and the battery was changed recently (Didn't make extreme sense, but maybe someone was careless and left a light on). I couldn't get them to release the service records to me, but maybe if I talk to a local service agent I can get them. Anyway, back to the question, what are the consequences of a improperly "broke in" M?
One question, WHY have the service records not come with the car?????.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #74
Trill335
انا خارج الكلبه
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar10 View Post
Having just bought my M3 here in Germany, the dealer "I'm pretty sure" said not following the break in will void the warranty. As far as the Demo rides, they have over here, the M's have to have the dealer accompany them on test rides during the break in period. either for the INS company or per BMW. It might be different due to the fact that it is a military program though, although i doubt it. ill contact my dealer and see what he has to say about the warranty.
A Captain Rolled a Demo M3 by the Coca-Cola Plant in Einsiedlerhof... A while back, you were able to take the cars out alone; but you had to sign a waver that you were responsible if you shut down the traction control. At least this was how Pentagon handled it when I purchased my M and wanted to test drive a Demo.

I never followed the break in procedures and ran all of my BMW's in pretty hard. Ask Mathias at Pentagon... . Never any issues and the cars were always amongst the quickest in measured acceleration.

By the way, with Comfort Access... you might be able to get away with not following the procedures... simply keep the key in your pocket.
      08-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #75
Radar10
Rep
Drives: '11 ///M3

"It’s my understanding that your car has the ability to record and store the pertinent information that would be needed to prove if the car was driven beyond it’s recommended tolerances. The service techs that I worked with, back in the US, explained that this feature is not accessible by the dealer but can be accessed by BMW when service issues arise."

is the exact quote from my dealer when asked if not following break in voids the warranty.....seems like BMW my fight back if you try to claim a warranty issue and break in was not followed. While most wont experience any issues it seems that BMW is trying to cover their ass in the event something "DOES" happen.

Personally i can wait it out, wouldn't be worth it to me. Many miles ahead...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #76
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

I only read the first page, but basically before the engine gets to your new "m3", its tested and ran HARD. Break in periods are to make you feel good... but that engine has to settle in, rings and such. Parts need to be warmed up!! Get in that throttle.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #77
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

The title of this thread is a bit impresise but ok... (I was expecting to read something along the lines of a break in actually gone wrong)

Anyway, I have read numerous posts whereby people have not followed the BMW break in routine and others that did. I didn't find any conclusive trend showing if the former leads to any sort of (short or longer term) damage, mulfunction or underperformance. There are people that just beat the crap out of the car day 1 and others that go with the BMW discipline, both of which never experienced any issues. Even cases with increased oil consumption can hardly be attributted to "improper" break in (whetever this is).

Personally I would never beat the crap of a new car, let alone a brand new M3 with a high reving V8 engine. For whatever worth (even solely for emotional reasons) I would follow the recommended break in instructions - and this is what I did.

Indeed just about all data is longged and could potentially be used to void your warranty. Whether this will actually happen is probably dealer specific in combination with how badly limits have been exceeded.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #78
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
The all knowing key fob tells them EVERYTHING

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #79
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post

Go to a service center and watch a first service at 1200 on an M car.... the "oil" is CLEAR, not muddy, not black .... KY CLEAR!!!! Don't know about you... but I have never seen water clear oil....

And go take your car in for valve or lifter issues or any engine related problem, let them use the key fob to find out you broke the break in period recommendations and see if it is still covered under warranty. I will let you do that, as tossing a 70k car in the trash is not high on MY list of priorities
      08-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #80
Trill335
انا خارج الكلبه
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
The all knowing key fob tells them EVERYTHING

No it doesn't
... if you don't stick it into the slot; the all knowing key fob becomes a bleeping idiot.
      08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #81
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill335 View Post

No it doesn't
... if you don't stick it into the slot; the all knowing key fob becomes a bleeping idiot.
I was being a smart ass

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #82
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
I was being a smart ass
Even so, you are basically correct since you cannot refuse to let the dealership stick the key in the slot. They are going to do that as part of the standard procedure when taking you car for the service appointment.

That said I have no idea if the keyfob actually reads engine RPM data. It might be accessible only by attaching diagnostic equipment to the OBDII.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #83
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill335 View Post

No it doesn't
YES it does.... Your cars on board computer has a historical data file, so even if they dont use the "all knowing" fob as soon as they hook up the diagnostic computer to yours.... all the information is right there.

This thread is pointless..... don't adhere to your break in guidance or do... I dont give a shit either way. Just dont come back and waste band width making threads and bitching about issues with your cars or the shitty, cocksucker, douche bag, dealerships that wont make repairs under warranty.

OGTFO
      08-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #84
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
YES it does.... Your cars on board computer has a historical data file, so even if they dont use the "all knowing" fob as soon as they hook up the diagnostic computer to yours.... all the information is right there.

This thread is pointless..... don't adhere to your break in guidance or do... I dont give a shit either way. Just dont come back and waste band width making threads and bitching about issues with your cars or the shitty, cocksucker, douche bag, dealerships that wont make repairs under warranty.

OGTFO
Well put. This is up there with people who make threads bitching about poor mpg

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #85
ep99
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Same question had been asked and answered before.

And if you have to ask about the break-in period...that's mean you are dying to drive the heck out of it...and no one will blame you...that's why we all got the car in the first place.

But know this...the first and second break-in periods are what the BMW engineers are recommending...if you are thinking about keeping the car for years to come...then go through the break-in periods...if it's a leaser...then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #86
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Car computer records all your over-revs (i.e. not following the break-in procedure). Regardless of whether it is necessary or not, if something goes wrong with your car, BMW can use the fact you did not follow the required the break-in as an excuse not to fix your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #87
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Car computer records all your over-revs (i.e. not following the break-in procedure). Regardless of whether it is necessary or not, if something goes wrong with your car, BMW can use the fact you did not follow the required the break-in as an excuse not to fix your car.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000
      08-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #88
sid33
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
It will internally combust ... LOL ... just kiddin man .. im sure your fine.. besides even if the first owner punched over 5500 rpm under 1200 miles im sure its ok. I wouldnt worry too much unless your having issues
Appreciate 0