BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

2009 Cayman S

PAG finally gives the Cayman S the legs it always deserved:

Last edited by ruff; 01-11-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

More power, a limited slip diff... how many more reasons do you need til you fully rationalize your way to a new PORSCHE in the garage?? and how many times have you watched that video? Got cotton mouth over it yet? Then it's time.
      01-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
More power, a limited slip diff... how many more reasons do you need til you fully rationalize your way to a new PORSCHE in the garage?? and how many times have you watched that video? Got cotton mouth over it yet? Then it's time.
Ah NO, not hardly. The rear end of the Cayman is putrid ugly.
Now the 911 on the other hand.....beauty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
the rear end of the cayman is the sexiest shit ive seen on a porsche i love that shit... maybe not the sexiest, but it's awesome shit
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt beard View Post
Ah NO, not hardly. The rear end of the Cayman is putrid ugly.
Now the 911 on the other hand.....beauty.
you may have something there. ruff would never drive a car someone else deemed "putrid ugly"!

I'm not a fan of the '09 facelift, but the mechanical changes sound promising. I still wouldn't risk taking one on the track though..... between power steering failures and engines blowing... wait, I'm gonna ruin ruff's dream!!
      01-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
between power steering failures and engines blowing... wait, I'm gonna ruin ruff's dream!!
I've had both failures. Porsche overnighted a crate motor from Germany, I picked it up 4 freakin' days later, love my Porsche dealer. Break-in sucks twice as much the second time around.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

That's a pretty bold statement to call the the Cayman the best car in the world. I guess we'll have to wait until more people test it to confirm the validity of that statement.

I wonder, if Porsche upgraded the mechanicals with direct injection on the Cayman's mid cycle facelift, do you think it's possible the M3 could see the same changes?

Not trying to thread jack, just curious!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I wonder, if Porsche upgraded the mechanicals with direct injection on the Cayman's mid cycle facelift, do you think it's possible the M3 could see the same changes?

Not trying to thread jack, just curious!
Very very unlikely. The Cayman/911 3.4l DFI motor is new, at the beginning of it's lifecycle and Porsche keeps motors around for awhile. Our 4.0l is likely at it's last stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
curv etr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n63tu

I hate when car journalists use extreme superlatives to get noticed.

I don't think its the best sports car in the world, but for <100 grand, it's one of the most fun go cart like sports cars one can buy. But by no means best sports car in the world. Buying a car is such a personal choice.

Up to 2009, Porsche didn't offer LSDs for any porsches except the turbo(optional) and gt2/3 (standard). Good to see they are available for the 911s and 987s.

I love the rear of the cayman, but then again I'm biased.

On its way are a cf diffuser and a cf extended spoiler, looking forward to installing those pieces.

How can someone hate these sleek hips?

Edit: oops, this is m3post, for a second thought this was a porsche site
      01-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

^thats sexy hips.. like ur personal plate too
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

finally an LSD. This car begged for it.

Im pretty sure that the carerras have had an LSD for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
finally an LSD. This car begged for it.

Im pretty sure that the carerras have had an LSD for a while.
I'm surprised that the Carerra never had LSD before. I mean its supposed to be the "uber" track machine!

M3's have had LSD for years!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I'm surprised that the Carerra never had LSD before. I mean its supposed to be the "uber" track machine!

M3's have had LSD for years!
It didn't have LSD in the US, though it was a no cost option for the 997 Carrera S in Europe.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
zacbol
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Don't care for the facelift, but it's still a beautiful car. I think it's much better proportioned than the 911 which I've never found particularly aesthetically pleasing. In fact, back when I first started contemplating getting a new car the Cayman was top of the list. Took a test drive, though, and the complete lack of power (it was not the S) was really disappointing. My friend and I took it out and it just felt slow compared to both my lowly WRX and his 350Z. The rest of the package, as nice as it was, just couldn't offset that profound (for me) problem.

I wanted to try to the S, though I didn't think the minor HP upgrade would make a huge difference plus the guys at the Porsche dealership were real dicks.

This is a stunning car, though. It's definitely under consideration once my lease on the M3 is up (which I may still end up buying it out if I am as enamored of it as I currently am).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

power increase is great, handles great and good breaks, easy to drive fast, I think if they gave it more power then I'd be in one, but then that would bite into the 911 market share.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
you may have something there. ruff would never drive a car someone else deemed "putrid ugly"!
To make matters worse, our Brittish idol, the one with a shoddy singing voice, has the audacity to name the sad little love bug that could (without coronation but legitimate heir to the PAG throne, given the Kings blessing of a few more Lipizzaners strapped to the heirs mid engine carriage) the title of Prince "Gayman" of Zuffenhausen.

Less we forget the intrigue by older brother, Crown Prince Icon the 997th, who is burdened with a profusely large gluteus, only matched in proportion by his jealousy toward his younger brother for his grace and charisma with the Uusikaupunki Princess on the ballroom dance floor.

Last edited by ruff; 01-15-2009 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

What?!! I have no idea what you just said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
To make matters worse, our Brittish idol, the one with a shoddy singing voice, has the audacity to name the sad little love bug that could (without coronation but legitimate heir to the PAG throne, given the Kings blessing of a few more Lipizzaners strapped to his mid engine carriage) the title of Prince "Gayman." of Zuffenhausen.

Less we forget the intrigue by older brother, Crown Prince Icon the 997th, who is burdened with a profusely large gluteus, only matched in proportion by his jealousy toward his younger brother for his grace and charisma with the Uusikaupunki Princess on the ballroom dance floor.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

US Pricing:

Boxster: $46,600
Boxster S: $56,700

Cayman: $50,300
Cayman S: $60,200

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/15/0...ing-announced/

Sorry if that is old news. I think PDK adds another $3500 or so, if I recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Thumbs up

Nice! I like the subtle exterior changes and the new wheels. DFI and LSD are two welcome additions but I don't care about the PDK. There aren't many cars that really interest me these days but this is one that does. Beef it up and put in the DFI 3.6 already, Porsche!
      01-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
COR Photographer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

wow nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
US Pricing:

Boxster: $46,600
Boxster S: $56,700

Cayman: $50,300
Cayman S: $60,200

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/15/0...ing-announced/

Sorry if that is old news. I think PDK adds another $3500 or so, if I recall.
Yes

Porsche is arrogant enough to believe they can continue their price gauging even in a dead economy. If Porsche gets away with it, then you can thank idiot Porsche-philes who buy their cars with outrageously priced options.

Just an example of the crap Porsche is trying to pull with the Cayman right now: Buyers are not given the privilege to spend their hard earned money on an LSD, which should be standard on a car of this caliber, unless one also punches the option box for PDK, which also means one needs to get the sport chrono to take full advantage of their DCT. Rumor also has it that in June Porsche will offer an LSD option to 6mt purchasers but only if they also purchase 19" wheels, which means one would also need to get PASM to soften the stiff ride of the 19"s. It should also be noted that one can't get an LSD on a C2 unless one also purchases 19' wheels.

I hope Porshe-philes brighten up or lack the excessive discretionary spending to force PAG to change their successful money drubbing business plan.

Last edited by ruff; 01-15-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Yes

Porsche is arrogant enough to believe they can continue their price gauging even in a dead economy. If Porsche gets away with it, then you can thank idiot Porsche-philes who buy their cars with outrageously priced options.

Just an example of the crap Porsche is trying to pull with the Cayman right now: Buyers are not given the privilege to spend their hard earned money on an LSD, which should be standard on a car of this caliber, unless one also punches the option box for PDK, which also means one needs to get the sport chrono to take full advantage of their DCT. Rumor also has it that in June Porsche will offer an LSD option to 6mt purchasers but only if they also purchase 19" wheels, which means one would also need to get PASM to soften the stiff ride of the 19"s. It should also be noted that one can't get an LSD on a C2 unless one also purchases 19' wheels.

I hope Porshe-philes brighten up or at least now lack the excessive discretionary spending to force PAG to change their, thus far, successful money drubbing business plan.
Sounds like you really want one.

Me too.

A lot of people want a Porsche. Hence the pricing. It's the way of the (capitalistic) world.

More power to 'em. And LSDs, too.

Bruce
Appreciate 0