BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #67
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328

The Sedan System is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie7 View Post
also interested in the sedan version, looks like the tips are welded off the muffler a bit so it may be as simple as cutting the piping coming of the muffler and then welding the tips on so they are the correct length for the sedan
There WILL be a system specifically for the sedan.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #68
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Break out the popcorn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtwin View Post
I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as I watch your vid from outside the car. Go outside and do it. All 3 will be sold quick.
Two still left...watch and pull the trigger.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #69
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

sounds sweet. Borla makes nice stuff
      12-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #70
JR///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' G80 M3 , 13' E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS View Post
I've been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks and just haven't found the time. I will have the car back late today and will do a video outside the car ASAP. There are still 3 systems available, and I just got word that I can pick them up.

DON'T WAIT IF YOU WANT ONE. PLACE AN ORDER ONLINE NOW!!

Bob
Bob@BPS I Just Placed an Order for the Exhaust. I Love the way it sounded, I've Always been A fan of Borla Products. I Used their Mufflers In my 1998 Cobra Mustang and other Stangs I've owned . I know its been a couple days since you posted this so I hope you still have a Borla System In Stock.
      12-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #71
JR///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Two still left...watch and pull the trigger.

Bob
I guess I'm in Time. Cool, didn't see that you posted this a couple of hours ago.
      12-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #72
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

They are almost all gone!!

Only 1 left. Don't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 02:11 AM   #73
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_M3E92 View Post
I guess I'm in Time. Cool, didn't see that you posted this a couple of hours ago.
Looks like one is heading to San Antonio, TX. Thanks for your order. I'm sure you'll like this as much on your M3 as you did on the Cobra.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #74
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Sounds Great....Any news on when they intend to release the sedan version? The wait is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #75
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

oh man borla sounds so sweet
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #76
sge92
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I created a video today of the Borla exhaust on my E92 M3. My thanks to my friend Michael (Mastek on the M3forum) for acting as camera operator. Your comments are welcome.

Bob

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-x7xxBXXKrE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-x7xxBXXKrE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

This sounds amazing! Exactly what I've been looking for. Is the exhaust the only mod you have done, or have you done ECU, intake or air filter as well? I am very interested in obtaining the same sound and would like to know what else if anything has been done to your car. Also, are you now able to confirm the diameter of the pipes prior to the mufflers? Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #77
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Thanks Bob for the excellent customer service and going out of your way to get me an alternate shipping quote due to my living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!! I look forward to having the first Borla equiped M3 in the islands.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #78
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Mahalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Thanks Bob for the excellent customer service and going out of your way to get me an alternate shipping quote due to my living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!! I look forward to having the first Borla equiped M3 in the islands.
My pleasure. You should already have a tracking number and I will have to drop it off at the post office tomorrow. Let me know how you like it. I'm sure you'll love the tone of the exhaust.

Let me know how you like it.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #79
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

And the mods are.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sge92 View Post
This sounds amazing! Exactly what I've been looking for. Is the exhaust the only mod you have done, or have you done ECU, intake or air filter as well? I am very interested in obtaining the same sound and would like to know what else if anything has been done to your car. Also, are you now able to confirm the diameter of the pipes prior to the mufflers? Thx
Hi,

aFe Pro Dry filter and the Borla exhaust are the only 2 engine mods I've done, so far. The big bucks went into wheels, tires & brakes.

Obviously, I'm a bit partial, but I was just listening to some exhausts on YouTube and a lot of the E92 M3 exhausts sound really honky. Not nearly as deep and rich as the Borla. I saw a custom exhaust that has 2 90° bends, so the left side comes out the right and vice-versa. Why the h**L would you do that? One thing I've learned is my dealings with Borla, between the E46 M3 midpipe and now the E92 M3 exhaust, is straighter is better. I believe the statistic is something like a 180° bend adds the equivalent of 30 feet of straight pipe. So, unless there is a good reason, like you're tuning the exhaust, adding unnecessary bends adds restriction.

Unfortunately, all four exhausts have been sold, but you can place a pre-order for the next batch (ETA currently unknown) or just keep checking our website.

Thanks for your interest.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #80
EvilTuna7
Rep
Drives: 2005 Subaru STi

I may have missed it but will Borla be releasing an x-pipe? Are the any x-pipes currently offered by other brands that will work with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #81
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

The midpipe is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTuna7 View Post
I may have missed it but will Borla be releasing an x-pipe? Are the any x-pipes currently offered by other brands that will work with it?
Yup, you missed it. LOL I don't read every post on every thread, either. My car has been at Borla twice for development of a midpipe that will be sold as an off-road only product, because it will eliminate the cats. I haven't seen the entire system, nor have I heard it. I will be announcing the system as soon as I have more info (and permission to release details).

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #82
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, MSM, Clubman S

Any dyno numbers for the Borla yet?

Thanks!
      12-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #83
EvilTuna7
Rep
Drives: 2005 Subaru STi

Quote:
Yup, you missed it. LOL I don't read every post on every thread, either. My car has been at Borla twice for development of a midpipe that will be sold as an off-road only product, because it will eliminate the cats. I haven't seen the entire system, nor have I heard it. I will be announcing the system as soon as I have more info (and permission to release details).

Bob
Ah, awesome. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #84
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Quote:
Hi,

I'm not sure I can disclose the pipe diameter yet.

Drone is not bad. You can hear the exhaust while cruising, but it's not bad. It's definitely louder than stock in the car. Borla wanted to make sure it didn't fall in the "why bother" category by not making it loud enough. Everyone at the 805 meet (as in area code 805) liked the sound and the looks of the tips.

It hasn't been dynoed yet, but my butt dyno tells me the aFe filter and Borla exhaust make the car quicker.

I'm sure I'll have more info for you after SEMA.

Bob
Just a heads up to you guys, I got my exhaust installed yesterday and I really like it. However, there is a drone below 2K RPM. It's rather bad, especially at start up when it's cold, but it does get a little better when it gets warmed up. Once above 2K RPM, the drone is completely gone.

Everything else is great....sound, looks, etc. Don't have enough seat time yet to determine if there is much of a performance gain but from what I could tell in my limited time of driving last night, there is an improvement.

Also, Bob was great to work with and the exhaust was shipped out in a timely manner and packaged perfectly. Thanks Bob.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #85
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your business and feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganush View Post
Just a heads up to you guys, I got my exhaust installed yesterday and I really like it. However, there is a drone below 2K RPM. It's rather bad, especially at start up when it's cold, but it does get a little better when it gets warmed up. Once above 2K RPM, the drone is completely gone.

Everything else is great....sound, looks, etc. Don't have enough seat time yet to determine if there is much of a performance gain but from what I could tell in my limited time of driving last night, there is an improvement.

Also, Bob was great to work with and the exhaust was shipped out in a timely manner and packaged perfectly. Thanks Bob.
Hi Babaganush,

Thanks for your business. I'm glad you're happy with the exhaust.

Regarding the resonance at startup: A number of things happen during a cold startup that relates to emissions and warming up the engine. After 30-40 seconds the settings go back to normal and that initial resonance subsides. Funny thing, I heard Tom's car from EAS @ Euro Crave a few months ago with a Remus exhaust, and the drone from outside the car at startup was very loud and then subsided after about 30 seconds, so this is just a normal phenomena with the E92 M3.

I was also told by the guys at Borla that resonance between 1200 & 2000 RPMs is very common in V8s. Fortunately, we tend not to drive in that RPM range with this car. DCT cars will try to keep the RPMs low when driving in the automatic mode. I keep my tranny set at 4, to get it to downshift easier and I believe it might affect the upshift points, as well. In manual mode, I tend to shift at higher RPMs, so I'm never in the 1200 to 2000 RPM range.

I'll be directing all opinions and comments to Borla about this exhaust (and they might be watching, anyway). Some may feel it's too loud, while Tightie wants it louder and will be adding the race midpipe ASAP. So, a lot of the opinions are determined by personal preference.

Bob

Last edited by Bob@BPS; 12-12-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #86
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

PM Sent
      12-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #87
daltonnnn
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, MSM, Clubman S

Any way to record the sound and droning under 2k?

Also, still asking about dyno numbers.
Thanks!
      12-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #88
JR///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hello everyone
Installed the Borla Exhaust on Friday and at first I will Agree that it was a bit loud below 2000 RPM and at start up, but after a minute or so it got quieter. After a while of driving you get used to it and it sounds great. I took a trip down to Monterrey, Mexico this past weekend put about 600 miles on the exhaust and car and it really sounds great. I noticed quite an improvement in the acceleration, between 100mph - 150mph it is much quicker. I really enjoy the sound of the car especially at higher RPM's. Great Exhaust. Here is a Video of the car at 165MPH. You Can Really here the exhaust even with wind noise and the Stereo playing. Thank you Bob@bps!!

Last edited by JR///M3; 12-16-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0