BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

05-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

Garage List
Stealth wrap for frozen paint

Looking into stealth wrapping my new M3. Has anyone here had experience with it? The company says it's safe for matte use and wont change the look of the matte paint, but before I go putting 6 grand down on wrapping a car I'd like to know the nitty gritty of it!
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U View Post
Looking into stealth wrapping my new M3. Has anyone here had experience with it? The company says it's safe for matte use and wont change the look of the matte paint, but before I go putting 6 grand down on wrapping a car I'd like to know the nitty gritty of it!
It'll make the paint slightly more matte, like more dull. You can barely tell the difference though. In the pic below, you can see the difference between the front fender (wrapped) and the door (not wrapped).

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
It'll make the paint slightly more matte, like more dull. You can barely tell the difference though. In the pic below, you can see the difference between the front fender (wrapped) and the door (not wrapped).

Doesn't cause any damage to the paint though?

The appearance is fine by me, I just want to keep my baby safe so I can DD her this summer.
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Doesn't cause any damage to the paint though?

The appearance is fine by me, I just want to keep my baby safe so I can DD her this summer.
It doesn't cause any damage unless the car has been repainted poorly. When you remove the film, some paint might peel off with it. My friends front bumper was resprayed and then vinyl wrapped a couple months later and this happened after removing the vinyl (PPF like stealth wrap is much stickier)

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
It doesn't cause any damage unless the car has been repainted poorly. When you remove the film, some paint might peel off with it. My friends front bumper was resprayed and then vinyl wrapped a couple months later and this happened after removing the vinyl (PPF like stealth wrap is much stickier)

My car has 8000km on it, it's never been repainted, it's pretty much brand new.

Your friend's doesn't appear to be matte. I'm concerned the adhesive or peeling will damage the matte coat.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

I have a frozen silver as well. Wrapped with xpel ultimate stealth. The difference is very hard to see and I think this may be related to the underlying color. The frozen red may be more obvious than the silver. I can see a very mild difference in reflection at certain angles in indirect light and honestly only because I know where the wrap is. Most people will not see this. Can't comment on removal. Bought my car new. I assume the original paint job is good and that it can be removed later but I do not have experience with this. My installer who has done many of these on even higher end cars did assure me that it is not a problem. Obviously you only want to pay somebody who is skilled in the application of this film as it is not easy to do well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
I have a frozen silver as well. Wrapped with xpel ultimate stealth. The difference is very hard to see and I think this may be related to the underlying color. The frozen red may be more obvious than the silver. I can see a very mild difference in reflection at certain angles in indirect light and honestly only because I know where the wrap is. Most people will not see this. Can't comment on removal. Bought my car new. I assume the original paint job is good and that it can be removed later but I do not have experience with this. My installer who has done many of these on even higher end cars did assure me that it is not a problem. Obviously you only want to pay somebody who is skilled in the application of this film as it is not easy to do well.
Got a picture of her? How durable is the wrap (does it take rocks, and idiots with keys well)? Do you DD? How many miles sofar?

I will definitely be wrapping mine. Too bad it's so expensive...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Only up to 1500 miles on the wrap. No chips thus far. I did get 2 very small rock chips at the front of the door just behind the initial front wrap. I decided to do the doors as well after this. I think it is well worth the money. Expensive but much chaper and less hassle than painting a panel. I use mine as a daily driver. I was worried about front door strikes at work and now have less worry with my doors wrapped. I'll submit a picture with the full front wrap. My wrap guy did say that the silver is particularly good with this wrap. I think it would be more noticeable with frozen black as you could see on that frozen red earlier.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Only up to 1500 miles on the wrap. No chips thus far. I did get 2 very small rock chips at the front of the door just behind the initial front wrap. I decided to do the doors as well after this. I think it is well worth the money. Expensive but much chaper and less hassle than painting a panel. I use mine as a daily driver. I was worried about front door strikes at work and now have less worry with my doors wrapped. I'll submit a picture with the full front wrap. My wrap guy did say that the silver is particularly good with this wrap. I think it would be more noticeable with frozen black as you could see on that frozen red earlier.
Looking at a black C63 that shadow tint wrapped in my city... looks pretty good! I will contact them and ask for a quote on my M. I do have the 20k bmw appearance warrenty, but I'd rather not have to use it.

So if a pannel gets dented with wrap I'm assuming the dent can be pulled without damaging wrap/car? I'm under the impression it's fairly heavy duty wrap, so hopefully it can survive my 8000km road trip.

Off topic, but I happen to be going to cali (the road trip) in her in a few weeks. Any tips for parking without getting damage? Not exactly staying at high end hotels.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Frozen silver wrap

Here is mine with the full front wrap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Damn that's a pretty car! Tempted to get front spoilers like that, but I think they will scrape when I go to park.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

6k for a wrap??? What did we do before these existed?? Just drive the car, save the money in the even something happens. It's just a car and will get chips/bruises.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Lbsigman
This is my sham shield.
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2

Quote:
Saw a car just like yours at Shelly BMW. Looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
6k for a wrap??? What did we do before these existed?? Just drive the car, save the money in the even something happens. It's just a car and will get chips/bruises.
6 grand is a paltry sum to protect a car I just spent 80 grand on.

Only 1500 to wrap the impact areas... maybe I'll go with that.

Last edited by Alohaaaaa; 05-20-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

This is my Frozen Blue with the front matte clear bra. No issues. 13k miles
Attached Images

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborn78108 View Post
This is my Frozen Blue with the front matte clear bra. No issues. 13k miles
And you tracked her even! Perfect. I am booked to wrap next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking at a black C63 that shadow tint wrapped in my city... looks pretty good! I will contact them and ask for a quote on my M. I do have the 20k bmw appearance warrenty, but I'd rather not have to use it.

So if a pannel gets dented with wrap I'm assuming the dent can be pulled without damaging wrap/car? I'm under the impression it's fairly heavy duty wrap, so hopefully it can survive my 8000km road trip.

Off topic, but I happen to be going to cali (the road trip) in her in a few weeks. Any tips for parking without getting damage? Not exactly staying at high end hotels.
No special tips on parking out here other than the usual care you take in deciding where to park. Hope you have a good trip and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbsigman View Post
Saw a car just like yours at Shelly BMW. Looks nice.
Thanks. That's exactly where I got it from.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
slipaway37
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP/E92/M3

Quote:
I'm with this guy. The Stealth PPF works fantastic with the lighter frozen shades. I have Frozen Grey and you can hardly see a diff; however, I have seen it on the other shades and it's very noticeable. If you don't use the Stealth product you will end up with a very matte appearance which our Frozen's do not have. I only did full hood, bumper, A-pillers, rockers, and rear qtrs. Thank gawd I had this done prior to a track event! Get'er done!
      06-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

We have the Xpel Ultimate (regular) on my fiancé's Alpine White e92. Why can't frozen colored cars use the regular clear non stealth wrap? It shouldn't change the appearance of the color I wouldn't think or does it?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola 32/65 View Post
We have the Xpel Ultimate (regular) on my fiancé's Alpine White e92. Why can't frozen colored cars use the regular clear non stealth wrap? It shouldn't change the appearance of the color I wouldn't think or does it?
My friend did that on his frozen gray M5. Did not turn out very well. Too glossy.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Quote:
My friend did that on his frozen gray M5. Did not turn out very well. Too glossy.
Interesting, I always thought it was just a clear film but I guess it does have its own gloss to it. I'll have to look at I better next time i'm at my friends shop.