BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
kthakarsey
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 Space Grey/Fox Red

Radio Problems anyone?

I searched the threads and couldn't find anything on this. Has anyone else had problems with their radio not working on occasion? It probably happens to me once a week where it just starts making a flickering sound constantly. The next time I drive my car it usually starts working again so I can't really figure out when or why it happens at certain times. This is also just the radio, because the my CDs will play fine.

Anyone else have this problem? I fear if I take this to the dealer they'll just tell me they weren't able to replicate the problem and do nothing.

Outside of that, I love my car!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthakarsey View Post
I searched the threads and couldn't find anything on this. Has anyone else had problems with their radio not working on occasion? It probably happens to me once a week where it just starts making a flickering sound constantly. The next time I drive my car it usually starts working again so I can't really figure out when or why it happens at certain times. This is also just the radio, because the my CDs will play fine.

Anyone else have this problem? I fear if I take this to the dealer they'll just tell me they weren't able to replicate the problem and do nothing.

Outside of that, I love my car!

Thanks
Take a video (or several) when it happens...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
There have been other posts on this.

Mine did it the day before yesterday. The radio (both FM and Satellite) got very 'staticky'. iPod sounded fine. Next day both FM and Sirius were back to normal. Only thing different that day was rear seats down for transporting a set of wheels; misting rain.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
kthakarsey
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 Space Grey/Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
There have been other posts on this.

Mine did it the day before yesterday. The radio (both FM and Satellite) got very 'staticky'. iPod sounded fine. Next day both FM and Sirius were back to normal. Only thing different that day was rear seats down for transporting a set of wheels; misting rain.
Sorry I searched extensively and couldn't find any other posts

I wouldn't say mine is really "staticky". It's more of a fast pulsating electronicky beeping sound (if that makes any sense).

Also my seats were up, and there was no rain that day.

I'll try to capture it via video/audio next time
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
ISAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW Coupe 6MT

I've had mysterious problems with my radio as well. Sometimes it won't work at all and other times it is sporadic. Very frustrating. Dealer can't find the problem nor can they duplicate it.
      11-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I had an issue one time, but it was a little different.

My car was in my garage, parked over night.

The next morning, I opened my trunk and then the speakers went full volume "hiss". It scared the shit outta me. The car was OFF, but as soon as I opened the trunk, it just went ape-shit.

Nothing I did would stop the sound (static). I started the car, turned it off, turned on and off radio, etc, etc. Finally, I yanked out the input optic wire to the amp and it stopped. I noticed a red light inside the wire. It went off. I plugged it back in and it never happened since. Fricken weird.

I recall reading in a thread or two that there was a TSB on the radio, and some were getting the headunits replaced, which solved their issues. Being as mine never happened since, I haven't worried about it.

As others have said, being as it happens "regularly" for you, video it and then take the car in.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0