BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Can the dealer retrofit premium audio system?

I have an 09 E90 M3 with std audio. How can I upgrade to the factory premium option?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I have an 09 E90 M3 with std audio. How can I upgrade to the factory premium option?
A dealer can supply and install all the Premium Audio parts, but it cannot code your car for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Why not upgrade to aftermarket and get better sound, better components, for less money?
      12-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Why not upgrade to aftermarket and get better sound, better components, for less money?
I could, but I'm just looking for the path of least resistance. What does it mean that the dealer can't "code" the car if they install a higher end factory audio?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I could, but I'm just looking for the path of least resistance. What does it mean that the dealer can't "code" the car if they install a higher end factory audio?
It means that no sound will come out of the new parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It means that no sound will come out of the new parts.
Thank you for such an interesting answer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow and see if that is indeed true.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
It's not that path of least resistance
You'll have to find a way to code the head unit
Then you'll have to run optical fiber cables all the way to the trunk
plus you'll be paying a lot more than the $1900 original cost of the enhanced premium sound for all the parts

Plan B means you install an amp in the back, and replace the speakers
I've had HIFI in my old 08 M3
And now I have enhanced
It's not worth $1900
I knew that when i ordered it
And I knew I was going to upgrade it
But I only got it so I would not have to make any changes in the cabin
All work can be done in the trunk now
Convenience I guess
      12-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for such an interesting answer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow and see if that is indeed true.
The same answer that has been given so many times for this same question in this forum. Nevertheless, it can be done but not by any dealer unless somehow they convince the factory rep to code your iDrive for it. And that's not going to happen at the dealer's service bay.

Last edited by Technic; 12-11-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
It is indeed true. When I took delivery of my car back in 09 they factory didn't install the Premium Sound as I had ordered. Long story short I found out the dealer modified an order they had already placed and "forgot" to change that option.

Anyhow after months of research and talking with different dealers, master techs and BMW NA. It is not possible to make the switch or I would have done it. I just decided to live with it, the stock system isn't really all that bad anyhow. Plus once you throw a exhaust on there you'll barely listen to it.

If you really need to upgrade just use better aftermarket parts as stated above and blow the logic 7 away....

Also if there is anyone on here who would know about doing something like this it would be Technic.... Just saying since you seem to be newer here...

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
It is indeed true. When I took delivery of my car back in 09 they factory didn't install the Premium Sound as I had ordered. Long story short I found out the dealer modified an order they had already placed and "forgot" to change that option.

Anyhow after months of research and talking with different dealers, master techs and BMW NA. It is not possible to make the switch or I would have done it. I just decided to live with it, the stock system isn't really all that bad anyhow. Plus once you throw a exhaust on there you'll barely listen to it.

If you really need to upgrade just use better aftermarket parts as stated above and blow the logic 7 away....

Also if there is anyone on here who would know about doing something like this it would be Technic.... Just saying since you seem to be newer here...
Well, in that case I'll just continue to listen to the engine growl.
Appreciate 0