BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

08-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #45
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dntlvet View Post
Voltiguer,
Where is this at now?
Thanks for asking Dntlvet. I meant to call BMW ED today but market was rocking today so I was too busy at work.

I plan to call today, for now, no news is good news

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #46
DRM2RLTY
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe (2009)

Hey Voltigeur,

I called the ED department today, to enquire about what BMWNA generally does with regards to customs hold ups or even VPC delays? I'm in panic mode right now, in case mine gets held up as well, 9 days to go before it gets to NJ port. The person I spoke to said BMW basically has no control over customs audits (which you already know), but apparently they do try and compensate you. Though she didn't elaborate on what this compensation was, (pay your monthly dues until you have possession of the car, gift voucher,??). You might already know this as well?
But, I can't believe what you're going through, so I hope they do compensate you or do something/anything as a small gesture to make up for this??

Anyway, hope you get the good news soon!!

Sid
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #47
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Good luck!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #48
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM2RLTY View Post
Hey Voltigeur,

I called the ED department today, to enquire about what BMWNA generally does with regards to customs hold ups or even VPC delays? I'm in panic mode right now, in case mine gets held up as well, 9 days to go before it gets to NJ port. The person I spoke to said BMW basically has no control over customs audits (which you already know), but apparently they do try and compensate you. Though she didn't elaborate on what this compensation was, (pay your monthly dues until you have possession of the car, gift voucher,??). You might already know this as well?
But, I can't believe what you're going through, so I hope they do compensate you or do something/anything as a small gesture to make up for this??

Anyway, hope you get the good news soon!!

Sid
Mate, I'm sure you'll be fine I don't think the odds of an audit are very high, I mean, there's hundreds of cars on one of these ships and mine drew the unlucky straw. On bimmerfest I'm only the 2nd poster in 2 years to have posted on this, and, AFAIK, I'm the only one to post on this kind of delay here.

BMW ED are right: they have no control over this and I'm sure it's a royal PITA for them as they have an upset-to-irate customer and it's tainted the joy of the customer's ED experience - which BMW AG works so hard to try and make memorable and pleasant to enhance customer loyalty / satisfaction and, ideally, to keep the punters coming back for seconds, thirds .. ad infinitum.

I was told that if my car was not here 2 weeks from last Wed then a partial payment was in the offing. I'm calling ED tomorrow to get an update.

All the best and I hope you get yours back ASAP and in perfect condition!

-- V

///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #49
SnowGator
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

I bet it was the *extended* red leather that set off the contraband indicator...

Very sorry to hear you're going through this... just the waiting and tracking the car for a normal delivery was agony. Soon it will all be just a memory, and you'll be throwing that car around some curvy road, and the biggest smile will spread across your face!
      08-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #50
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Mate, I'm sure you'll be fine I don't think the odds of an audit are very high, I mean, there's hundreds of cars on one of these ships and mine drew the unlucky straw. On bimmerfest I'm only the 2nd poster in 2 years to have posted on this, and, AFAIK, I'm the only one to post on this kind of delay here.

BMW ED are right: they have no control over this and I'm sure it's a royal PITA for them as they have an upset-to-irate customer and it's tainted the joy of the customer's ED experience - which BMW AG works so hard to try and make memorable and pleasant to enhance customer loyalty / satisfaction and, ideally, to keep the punters coming back for seconds, thirds .. ad infinitum.

I was told that if my car was not here 2 weeks from last Wed then a partial payment was in the offing. I'm calling ED tomorrow to get an update.

All the best and I hope you get yours back ASAP and in perfect condition!

-- V
Voltigeur, I've been following your ordeal and must say that I'm sorry that your car was singled out for "special" treatment, but you seem to have handled this situation well. My question to you is this: Would you opt for ED again if an intensive audit was a certainty or, for that matter, would you have done ED had you known what has happened would happen?

I'm asking because my wife is gung ho for ED when I order my M3, but I'm not as enthusiastic about ED after seeing what you're going through. Your comments are appreciated in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #51
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
Voltigeur, I've been following your ordeal and must say that I'm sorry that your car was singled out for "special" treatment, but you seem to have handled this situation well. My question to you is this: Would you opt for ED again if an intensive audit was a certainty or, for that matter, would you have done ED had you known what has happened would happen?

I'm asking because my wife is gung ho for ED when I order my M3, but I'm not as enthusiastic about ED after seeing what you're going through. Your comments are appreciated in advance.
If you order dealer delivery or ED delivery on the car, it still go thru custom... so not a big difference...

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #52
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
If you order dealer delivery or ED delivery on the car, it still go thru custom... so not a big difference...
I am aware that all go through customs. My question to OP stems from the fact that he has had the ride, driven it, seems eager to have it again, and maybe he misses it as much as a ride can be missed. That situation seems very different from the one that I've experienced which was waiting to receive a ride that I had not even seen let alone driven around Europe. It's hard enough to wait on the ordered dealer delivery, I can only imagine what it must be like. -->
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #53
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
I am aware that all go through customs. My question to OP stems from the fact that he has had the ride, driven it, seems eager to have it again, and maybe he misses it as much as a ride can be missed. That situation seems very different from the one that I've experienced which was waiting to receive a ride that I had not even seen let alone driven around Europe. It's hard enough to wait on the ordered dealer delivery, I can only imagine what it must be like. -->
Nevermind the fact that he's also paying for a ride that he can't even enjoy right now... I'd probably not handle it as well as Voltigeur is.

Knowing what I do about him, I'm pretty sure he'd do it all over again, even knowing that this would happen.
      08-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #54
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Dubious anniversay of 5 weeks in Customs Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Nevermind the fact that he's also paying for a ride that he can't even enjoy right now... I'd probably not handle it as well as Voltigeur is.

Knowing what I do about him, I'm pretty sure he'd do it all over again, even knowing that this would happen.
Eau Rouge (great handle btw, I'm doing that GP someday) TLud's right - I would do ED again - risk-taking is integral to my profession ... but as time goes by it's starting to gnaw away at me, especially as in less than 2 weeks I will make a 4th pmt.

As of today - the 35 day mark.

I called BMW ED y'day. The Supervisor was very apologetic, and told me that "they [NJ Customs] have new crews and supervisors ..."

Now, that may well be, but is it my concern, I mean, do I give a flying phuck about the training-related delays? Errr, NO!

In my mind - and this is not directed at BMW as it is not in their power - a sense of reasonableness of duration that Customs should be able to conduct their (needed) examination / audit.

FIVE WEEKS IS UNCONSCIONABLE!

In my mind this has become oppressive, I have a $70K+ asset that is my financial responsibility; I have made 3 payments, yet I have no access to the aforementioned asset - but more importantly - I possess NO information about

(1) the likely timeline for release of my M3;
(2) nor its physical status - how is it stored? I assume it's just sitting on some tarmac in Jersey behind a security fence

I need to do what a prior poster did: call NJ Customs and beg

Edit: for any other unfortunates, the NJ Audit no. is (201) 443-0500 and you ask for the Vehicle Team - I got vm, will try again tomorrow.

-- V

Last edited by Voltigeur; 08-12-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #55
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Not analogous

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
BIG difference is the psychological impact. If I order a car, and don't do ED, then I don't bond w/ it, and only expect the car when it arrives at the dealer's. And maybe the dealer swaps it for a similar spec to manage a delay (?) Can't do this w/ an already owned / driven vehicle - capice?

Last edited by Voltigeur; 08-06-2009 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #56
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nail on the proverbial head.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #57
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Eau Rouge (great handle btw, I'm doing that GP someday) TLud's right - I would do ED again - risk-taking is integral to my profession ... but as time goes by it's starting to gnaw away at me, especially as in less than 2 weeks I will make a 4th pmt.

As of today - the 35 day mark, I am Officially Incensed.

I called BMW ED y'day. The Supervisor was very apologetic, and told me that "they [NJ Customs] have new crews and supervisors ..."

Now, that may well be, but is it my concern, I mean, do I give a flying phuck about the training-related delays? Errr, NO!

In my mind - and this is not directed at BMW as it is not in their power - a sense of reasonableness of duration that Customs should be able to conduct their (needed) examination / audit.

FIVE WEEKS IS UNCONSCIONABLE!

In my mind this has become oppressive, I have a $70K+ asset that is my financial responsibility; I have made 3 payments, yet I have no access to the aforementioned asset - but more importantly - I possess NO information about

(1) the likely timeline for release of my M3;
(2) nor its physical status - how is it stored? I assume it's just sitting on some tarmac in Jersey behind a security fence

I need to do what a prior poster did: call NJ Customs and beg

Edit: for any other unfortunates, the NJ Audit no. is (201) 443-0500 and you ask for the Vehicle Team - I got vm, will try again tomorrow.

-- V
Quote:
Nail on the proverbial head.

Thank you for the handle compliment. I share your desire to see a GP at Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to share the latest and your sentiments.

My wish is that this situation be resolved quickly from this point. Your vehicle's predicament is going to give me great pause about opting for an ED, but over time, perhaps I'll become less reluctant.

Regardless, I look forward to reading that you have finally been reunited with you four-wheel "baby".
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #58
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Hey look at it this way....you're keeping the mileage down

Seriously though, I hope this gets resolved soon for you. I'm sure it's torture having thoughts of the car pop in your head every ten minutes. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #59
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the handle compliment. I share your desire to see a GP at Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to share the latest and your sentiments.

My wish is that this situation be resolved quickly from this point. Your vehicle's predicament is going to give me great pause about opting for an ED, but over time, perhaps I'll become less reluctant.

Regardless, I look forward to reading that you have finally been reunited with you four-wheel "baby".
@Eau R: let me know when you want to go I would so love to see the F1 cars flying then bottoming: it must encapsulate the buzz of being an F1 pilot.

Don't let my (random) delay dissuade you. For the vast majority ED is a life's highlight. In fact, in my mind I have segmented the joyousness of ED with the misery of Random Audit. Well, there is some porousness ...

I appreciate your sentiments ... and leave you with: it's cool to drive one's M-car to the South of France, park at the [villa below], then revel in your ///M:

[so, M3 ... even got a bit dirty - Provence lanes being as they are]

More later, 'hiding my light under a bushel'. " ...

This to be written-up later.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 08-06-2009 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #60
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
@Eau R: let me know when you want to go I would so love to see the F1 cars flying then bottoming: it must encapsulate the buzz of being an F1 pilot.

Don't let my (random) delay dissuade you. For the vast majority ED is a life's highlight. In fact, in my mind I have segmented the joyousness of ED with the misery of Random Audit. Well, there is some porousness ...

I appreciate your sentiments ... and leave you with: it's cool to drive one's M-car to the South of France
Mate - you will have to write up your European tour when you are re-united with your lovely ///M. I get excited just hearing about someone's ED experience.

Almost as excited as hearing something about my ///M! Apparrently, I'm getting a build date in 10 days time.

Woohoooo!!!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #61
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I feel for you, but I also envy you for the ED. We in Canada do not get a good deal on ED and I've always wanted to do a driving vacation in Europe. Even better in your own (super)car. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and do an ED next time I get a car.

I guess the good thing about being Canadian is our customs are more efficient it took 4 days from unloading the car from the ship to being at my dealer's.

Hope your car clears customs soon.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #62
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Apparrently, I'm getting a build date in 10 days time.

Woohoooo!!!
Great news!

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #63
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Any chance you were able to get a loaner for your troubles?
      08-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #64
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Any chance you were able to get a loaner for your troubles?
Not laughing at you, mate, myself. My wife's 5er went in for majpr service so I have been bombing around in ... <suspense>

a Pontiac G6! So now I'm reduced to renting cars like this as mine's not here.

'Nuff said.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #65
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow what a slap in the face
      08-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #66
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

2 - 3 mths

-
On the advice of an experienced ED'er I got on to E.H. Harms - again. They are the shipping brokers. I have spoken to them 3x now. Anyway, when I called today I said to them: "how long [a wait] could this be?"

Answer: 2 to 3 months.. WTF?! [Let me clarify & say that ther people at EH Harms are very nice and professional.\ No issues.

Maybe she was into managing expectations but over 2 months is absurd.

If any Customs Officer is reading this I hope you get more funding to do your work: you need to do your security checks and the owner of imported vehicles should reasonably expect processing times of ... maybe, a month?

In the meantime I saw an HBO show, "Hung", that closed w/ this song; cracked me up:

My Dick

Have a laugh w/ me. Better than the alternative.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 08-08-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0