BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

to bling or not to bling!

Hey guys so Im trying to see if I can join the RAC Group Buy, but Im torn, I know the RAC's will be great but they seem more "racy" rather than "blingy."

Im torn between the RAC's or the DPE S20's (I love steplips!)

What do you all think??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

I think you are going to kick yourself in the ass down the line if you don't get in the RAC group buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Go for RACY!

Not BLINGY!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
Hey guys so Im trying to see if I can join the RAC Group Buy, but Im torn, I know the RAC's will be great but they seem more "racy" rather than "blingy."

Im torn between the RAC's or the DPE S20's (I love steplips!)

What do you all think??
Wow, those two wheels are about as different as you can get.

I guess it all boils down to what you really like to buy. (personal preference)

The RAC wheel is superior in build construction to the DPE wheel. No multi-piece wheel can compete with a 8000 TON Monoblock forged wheel like the one in the group buy. So right there RAC has the clear build construction advantage.

Now the other consideration would be COST.

How much does DPE want for the wheels you want to buy?

It's very likely those DPE's will cost you more, but I'll wait for your response on that first...

It would also help if you would list a few wheels that you have purchased in the past few years. (name brand & sizes)

By the way, after we spoke via PM about the RAC Group Buy, did you at least get your info submitted and confirmed by Chuck?

Time is running out...
      07-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Wow, those two wheels are about as different as you can get.

I guess it all boils down to what you really like to buy. (personal preference)

The RAC wheel is superior in build construction to the DPE wheel. No multi-piece wheel can compete with a 8000 TON Monoblock forged wheel like the one in the group buy. So right there RAC has the clear build construction advantage.

Now the other consideration would be COST.

How much does DPE want for the wheels you want to buy?

It's very likely those DPE's will cost you more, but I'll wait for your response on that first...

It would also help if you would list a few wheels that you have purchased in the past few years. (name brand & sizes)

By the way, after we spoke via PM about the RAC Group Buy, did you at least get your info submitted and confirmed by Chuck?

Time is running out...
Hey thanks, yeah Shep basically posted that he will know Monday so I have to submit info tonight and hope for the best.. if I go for the RAC's

Back to the post topic... I know they are far apart style wise but price wise they are in the same ball park....

I was all but decided on wheels, DPE's, until last friday night, I decided to check out what others were doing in the "Wheels and Tires" section... didnt even bother to check before then.. Thats when I ran across the RAC thread... I didnt have any previous knowledge about the RAC's though Im very familiar with the NEEZ wheels, which got me thinking...

Ahhh! decisions!

Im waffling back and forth so bad.. I've wanted a great looking steplip for awhile now, but the thought of the quality of RAC wheels is making it hard for me to decide..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks, yeah Shep basically posted that he will know Monday so I have to submit info tonight and hope for the best.. if I go for the RAC's

Back to the post topic... I know they are far apart style wise but price wise they are in the same ball park....

I was all but decided on wheels, DPE's, until last friday night, I decided to check out what others were doing in the "Wheels and Tires" section... didnt even bother to check before then.. Thats when I ran across the RAC thread... I didnt have any previous knowledge about the RAC's though Im very familiar with the NEEZ wheels, which got me thinking...

Ahhh! decisions!
So are DPE's the kind wheels you've bought in the past?
      07-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
So are DPE's the kind wheels you've bought in the past?
No actually Ive never spent alot of money on wheels before, thats probably just adding to the waffling... I mostly bought reps.. as I had a much more lowly car, though it was tons of fun, which in my opinion didnt deserve expensive wheels..

The reps I have gotten were mostly lipped variety so I guess they were kind of like the DPE's in that way, much more show than go. I never got a step lip cuz I never liked the step lip replicas, they didnt look right unless they were actually built using a multipiece design...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
4emthree5
ooT ooT
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

If it were up to me it'd be RACs.....but it sounds like you want some DPEs....just get what you like......
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Lemans_Blue_M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No actually Ive never spent alot of money on wheels before, thats probably just adding to the waffling... I mostly bought reps.. as I had a much more lowly car, though it was tons of fun, which in my opinion didnt deserve expensive wheels..

The reps I have gotten were mostly lipped variety so I guess they were kind of like the DPE's in that way, much more show than go. I never got a step lip cuz I never liked the step lip replicas, they didnt look right unless they were actually built using a multipiece design...
PM sent...