BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Pilot Super Sport Check In Thread

I will start this off by say these tire are worth every dime you spend on them.
So I thought about how much people complain about the tread life and quick wear on our cars. While I had the wheels off today I decided to check the wear. The attached thread is from the time I put them on.........Phil

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676555

Daily driver with my commute being 45 miles round trip to the office.

Measurement: Fronts-8/32 middle/inner------7.5/32 outter edge
Measurement: Rear-9/32 middle/inner/outter edge
Tire Size: 265-30-19 Front -----295-30-19 Rear
Time on car: 13 months
Mileage: 12k
Set Up: Factory ZCP suspension with no adjustments
Normal Tire Pressure: 35 psi Front------36 psi Rear
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Personally, I really can't complain about tire wear because it depends on how hard I drive my M. The more I push the car the more tire wear is going to happen.

I agreed with you about the PSS being one of the best tires for the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

PSS... the best tire i ever driven with, my previous set of tires where the PS2,the PSS have match more grip in dry and wet road conditions .
I have now about 5,000 miles on them and the profile looks better than with the PS2.
The only downside is... they make a little more roadnoise than the PS2.
BTW...the sidewall of the PSS looks match more straight on the wheel .(looks better)
Would i buy these PSS tires again ???
Yes...no doubt !
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I find that the tires need about 10 mins or so to warm up before providing a good grip. Once warms up I am pleased with their performance. But the first few kms are very unpredictable. My current temp is 24 deg C outside on average so we are not referring to subzero temps.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

I agree the PSS tires are fantastic for the street and light track use, but here are a couple pictures of my front left driver side tire. Tire is stock specs 245/35/19 with -1.3 camber front with psi around 38 hot

My passenger side looks about the same as this one. The tires had about 500 miles on it prior to the two day track (about 200mins of track time) event at Roebling Road Raceway and this is what it looks like after. you can see the outside tread is nearly gone and the middle/outside was starting to break apart.

Like I said, great tires for the street but not so great for extended use at a track. Just my $0.02
Attached Images

05-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
I agree the PSS tires are fantastic for the street and light track use, but here are a couple pictures of my front left driver side tire. Tire is stock specs 245/35/19 with -1.3 camber front with psi around 38 hot

My passenger side looks about the same as this one. The tires had about 500 miles on it prior to the two day track (about 200mins of track time) event at Roebling Road Raceway and this is what it looks like after. you can see the outside tread is nearly gone and the middle/outside was starting to break apart.

Like I said, great tires for the street but not so great for extended use at a track. Just my $0.02
Makes perfect sense because only a portion of the tire has a race compound molded in. That's why the tire works great in all outside conditions. The outside of the tire has the race compound that's why the inner parts are braking apart. Goes to show you how demanding the race tracks are under certain temperatures.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:

I would agree with your extended track use statement, but I feel pretty much any street tire will do that, especially with a 3600lb car with a very minimal -1.3 camber. If you had closer to -2.0 or even -2.5 you would see your tire wear become much more uniform and actually be producing far less heat towards the shoulder.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I also only have positive feedback to provide about the PSS. Heck, I liked it so much, I also bought a set for my wife's S4 . I now need to replace my original set on the M3 and I am not even considering anything else.

Great DD tire with excellent dry and wet grip. I also use it as my wet track tire and it performs very well. As a dry track tire, it does leave something to be desired though. When pushed a bit harder, it simply gets greasy and melts away. But so would almost any street tire though. I would not recommend the PSS as a regular dry track tire. It is acceptable for begginner/intermediate drivers for occasional track use, but not much more IMO.

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I would agree with your extended track use statement, but I feel pretty much any street tire will do that, especially with a 3600lb car with a very minimal -1.3 camber. If you had closer to -2.0 or even -2.5 you would see your tire wear become much more uniform and actually be producing far less heat towards the shoulder.
My PSS looked exactly the same (if not worse) as blankstar43 after one track day, and I run -2.8 front camber.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-28-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0