BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

First Drive

Ok, those of you that know me will understand that I cannot provide a proper review here on the interweb, I am writing up my thoughts today and collating all the film footage we took during the last two days in Marbella.

The press introduction seemed to be an all UK affair, so all of the key UK magazines were represented, and I assume other countries including US scribes will have their opportunity to drive/film the new M3 over the next few weeks.

Let me set the expectation for what I can discuss; anything that would not normally be published by the magazine I can talk about, so that's the factual kind of nerdy things we talk about on forums - what does this look like?, how does that work? etc. I cannot post the videos since these will be edited and posted on EVO's website during the next week or so. I am happy to try and answer questions, although the inevitable ones about how the M3 compares with other cars, including the RS4 I drove down their in will have to wait for the magazine to be published.

Right. Who's got a question?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

As well as occasionally joining magazines on these kinds of tests I also own the cars I review, so I've owned 3 E46 M3's, still own an M3 CSL and also a Z4M Coupe.

From my perspective and understanding what most of us discuss on forums such as this, I would summarise and say that most of you that are hoping the E92 M3 is good will not be dissapointed. It is good.

A friend of mine sent me a text yesterday as I was driving the E92 M3 and asked if I had to choose between my M3 CSL and this E92 M3, which car would I choose (assuming I could choose only one). My answer after much reflection was I would choose the E92 M3. Reasons? It's a very competent and fun car to drive, not a CSL in any way, but just as quick and just as loud. So anyone sitting on the fence trying to decide should they change from an E46 M3, I would say undoubtedly yes.

Perhaps I can try and help those of you speccing orders, with what works and what doesn't about the E92 M3. I will post up some views on this shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

I'd like to know whether the gear change is better than the E46 M3, as I found this very disappointing - and may therefore wait for the DSG style gearbox. Bet you had a great weekend - and thanks for taking time out on here

Also what colours work best in your opinion - white is a bit of a no no for the UK - I was thinking either silver or space grey.

Is the V8 an improvement over the straight 6? I would also be very interested in typical economy returned when not driving flat out - if this ever happened

Thanks Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
I'd like to know whether the gear change is better than the E46 M3, as I found this very disappointing - and may therefore wait for the DSG style gearbox. Bet you had a great weekend - and thanks for taking time out on here

Also what colours work best in your opinion - white is a bit of a no no for the UK - I was thinking either silver or space grey.

Is the V8 an improvement over the straight 6? I would also be very interested in typical economy returned when not driving flat out - if this ever happened

Thanks Mark
+1

This is the 1st time BMW is using DCT on an M3. We are excited to know if it was really better than AUDI's DCT. I guess the M3 you drove was a manual, not DCT?

Also, if Alpine White did not exist....which is the next M-color ?

The V8 ! Does it sound like RS4, AM, Lambo?

OK one more. Brakes, how were the single pistons?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks Mark
The gear change is better than the E46 M3, about on a par with the Z4M. Ordinarily that would mean it is pretty good, certainly no reason to specifically choose DCT unless you want a semi-automated manual.

Colour wise, all the press cars supplied by BMW were in Melbourne Red. Now this is a really bad colour to photograph. All the magazines were complaining about how hard it was to capture, and we spent so much time trying to find the right light, otherwise it looked a kind of browny-red and rather flat. The RS4 we used for the comparison was in a standard non-metallic brilliant red and it looked superb, whereas Melbourne Red was much darker and less vibrant. Some people will like it, it is a bit like the metallic red used on Ferrari's 599GTB, but I didn't think it was as good a colour as Imola Red was on the E46 M3.

Our view from filming the car from every angle is that the shape probably suits a darker colour better than a lighter one. You usually choose a lighter colour to show the lines better, but there just aren't clear lines to show on the E92 M3. Unlike the E46 M3, it doesn't look 'pumped up' and I suspect a lighter colour would be lost on it, but I haven't seen it in Space Grey or Silverstone so maybe they will look better.

The press car we shot was Melbourne Red with the 18" smoked wheels. I can tell anyone that was debating whether to go for 18" or 19" wheels that the 18" wheels are 'much' better than were on the E46 M3. It does not look under-tyred with the 18"ers, in fact they look quite wide and aggressive (particularly being in a smoked finish). The side-walls look quite tall and Michelin said they developed these tyres specially for the M3, with a taller sidewall but as stiff as a shorter lower-profile tyre. I normally would always go for 19" wheels, but I am having second thoughts because the 18"s look perfectly adequate.

Fuel economy is the subject of an amusing anecdote. The BMW marketing people spent virtually the whole press conference talking about Efficient Dynamics and their CO2 performance. Nobody could quite work out why they were talking CO2 when there was an M3 sitting in front of them, and out on the road, admittedly driving flat-out up and down very twisty mountaneous roads we managed 11mpg. I wouldn't worry too much about that, firstly BMW's M engines are always more thirsty in the first few thousand miles (although our press car had covered 2000 km already), and secondly nobody is likely to drive their M3 regularly as hard as we were driving it, so I would expect that number to climb to early 20's mpg under normall use. We certainly didn't need to fill up the fuel tank after a day's testing, so it wasn't bad IMO.

Comparing the new V8 to the I6 is straying into our text to be published in the magazine, but I am certainly not exaggerating when I say you will be bowled over by this engine, and it is probably one of the most exotic sounding engines ever fitted to a non-supercar. It is way, way better than the old S54 straight six could ever have been. Torque is not a problem and in most respects it behaves just like a 4 liter version of the previous 3.2.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBMW View Post

OK one more. Brakes, how were the single pistons?
Brakes. Well the discs are big. The front calipers are large too, but they're sliding caliper single-pots. Inevitably they are very powerful, but were not entirely confidence inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent point about the alloys - i was defaulting for 19"s so that gives me some food for thought. It sounds like the V8 knocks the RS4's for sounds and fuel consumption. The next evo edition will be my favourite edition since the days of the subaru P1 Can't wait! Sounds like the manual transmission will be the magazines default choice rather than the automated versions to come.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
pelos
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Great write up so far. Does the car look better in person? I wasn't bowled over with the pics so far.

I know your limited in what you can say, but can you say anything about the handling?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Excellent point about the alloys - i was defaulting for 19"s so that gives me some food for thought. It sounds like the V8 knocks the RS4's for sounds and fuel consumption. The next evo edition will be my favourite edition since the days of the subaru P1 Can't wait! Sounds like the manual transmission will be the magazines default choice rather than the automated versions to come.
EVO will be devoting 17 pages to this test, so there will be plenty to read.

Manual transmission is fine, also I believe many more people will choose the 18" wheels on this E92 M3 than they did with the E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:55 AM   #10
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelos View Post
Great write up so far. Does the car look better in person? I wasn't bowled over with the pics so far.

I know your limited in what you can say, but can you say anything about the handling?
Handling is as you would expect. BMW haven't gone soft, but they have given the M3 a much wider repetoire than previously. It will satisfy those who like to cruise AND those who like to race.

Looks wise, I would say it 'does not' look better in person. Aesthetics are not the E92 M3s strongest point, although I suspect it will grow on you. It's real top qualities are handling, engine performance and sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
pelos
Registered
Rep

I kind of had a feeling it wouldn't look better in person. Your right it will probably grow on most people.

I look forward to reading the review and also to see how it stacks up to the Mercedes C63.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:08 AM   #12
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Did you also manage to drive a standard suspension car (without EDC)? Is the EDC worth the money?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Did you also manage to drive a standard suspension car (without EDC)? Is the EDC worth the money?

Best regards, south
No they all had EDC.

Is it worth the money? Well it is certainly firm enough for the sporting driver and also comfortable enough when you choose to drive more sedately, so I would say it works as it should. But I don't know how well a standard non-adaptive set up would feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #14
pelos
Registered
Rep

Were you pleased with the interior? Which interior did the test car have?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
No they all had EDC.

Is it worth the money? Well it is certainly firm enough for the sporting driver and also comfortable enough when you choose to drive more sedately, so I would say it works as it should. But I don't know how well a standard non-adaptive set up would feel.
Thanks for the quick reply! I must try to get a copy of the next EVO, could be difficult in Germany...do you know the release date of the next issue?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #16
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Handling is as you would expect. BMW haven't gone soft, but they have given the M3 a much wider repetoire than previously. It will satisfy those who like to cruise AND those who like to race.

Looks wise, I would say it 'does not' look better in person. Aesthetics are not the E92 M3s strongest point, although I suspect it will grow on you. It's real top qualities are handling, engine performance and sound.
Have to disagree on the last remark; Looks wise it is definatly better IRL than on screen or picture. This not exclusive a M3 problem, also other BMW`s share the same problem; bad on pictures, IRL just fine..............................

I saw the M3 Alpine white myself IRL at Garching, way bettter than you ever could imagine. IMHO there are only 2 good colors for the M3; Jerez Black and Silverstone2,. Now Alpine white is not bad, but it is hyped IMO, also it is not an exlusive ///M color. I would never buy an M3 in a color that isn`t an exclusive ///M one, therefore Space gray is also not an option, for me that is.

Like your report thoug......................very good
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #17
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelos View Post
Were you pleased with the interior? Which interior did the test car have?
The press car had Bamboo Beige with the extended leather option. I was really impressed with Bamboo Beige. If you would like a lighter interior but don't want something too light that is easily marked, then Bamboo Beige is definitely for you.

Beige is the wrong description, it is actually Coffee coloured and looks quite expensive. It's a bit like the dark tan interior I've seen in the Ferrari 599 GTB.

I'm not a great fan of extended leather, it just doesn't seem worth it my opinion. It was nice, but was not that noticeable. I guess for £750 it's not that expensive, but just don't expect too much.

The test car also had the Black Carbon-Structure Leather trim which looked good (as it does in my Z4MC) and the M-seats felt identical to those I remembered in my E46 M3, right down to the same controls to inflate the sidebolsters and adjust lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #18
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I must try to get a copy of the next EVO, could be difficult in Germany...do you know the release date of the next issue?

Best regards, south
25th of July I think. We will also be posting videos on the EVO website so you can access that easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #19
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Will the test in evo drive the new M3 against the RS4? I guess it does as you mention the red RS4 being there. Was a 911 present to?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #20
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Will the test in evo drive the new M3 against the RS4? I guess it does as you mention the red RS4 being there. Was a 911 present to?
No we just pitted E92 M3 against the RS4. Autocar did the same, whilst CAR and Top Gear are out there for a few more days doing an extended comparison test (I assume with more competitors).

I really cannot comment about how they compared, you will have to read the article once it is published in EVO.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #21
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't wait for my copy of evo to plop through the door - at least us subscribers get it a day or two early (Off topic, who in Evo has the RS4 - i undertsand they had an engine remap at Audi to stop juddering on early morning starts - mine does the same, but my dealer knows nothing about this - i'd love to get this problem solved) - I think it's end of term goodbye to the EVO RS4 as well this month - what an issue it's gonna be - yipppeeeeeeeeeeee Thanks Steve for letting us know your first drive thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #22
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can't wait for my copy of evo to plop through the door - at least us subscribers get it a day or two early (Off topic, who in Evo has the RS4 - i undertsand they had an engine remap at Audi to stop juddering on early morning starts - mine does the same, but my dealer knows nothing about this - i'd love to get this problem solved) - I think it's end of term goodbye to the EVO RS4 as well this month - what an issue it's gonna be - yipppeeeeeeeeeeee Thanks Steve for letting us know your first drive thoughts.
Actually the RS4 had already been returned to Audi's press fleet, unfortunately that hadn't had time to repair the bonnet before we took it out again. So wherever I drove it in France and Spain I had people pointing at the damage.. doh!

I don't believe it was chipped. It certainly drove very smoothly though and was quicker than a Ferrari 355 GTB that I met during a 100 mile sprint through southern Spain. He didn't seem pleased to be dispatched so strongly by an Audi A4..
Appreciate 0