BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

12-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
DUR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A/W 135i M pack

M3 vs. Porsche... Which one??

Hi all:

It's been a while since I last wrote on this forum (having had my one series for some time I've been focused on 1Addicts).

After owning three M3's (one M3 e36 Euro Spec, one M3 e36 Convert USA spec and one M3 e46 Convert Euro Spec) I bought 14 months ago a wonderfull 135i.

The car is amazing, and the engine is... well... probably one of the best engines I've owned. But I feel the need of something sportier at the moment (in the end of the day, the one 135i is "only" a very powerful one series).

So, the doubt comes when I think of possible substitutes. These are the candidates:

- 2006 997 S
- 2007 Cayman S
- 2008 M3 e90 (with only 20 miles on the clock, and full garantee).

I admit I love the e90 (more than the e92), specially because of the amazing V8... But I've been looking onto the Porsche world for some time, and been bitten by that "bug"...

¿What do you think? I know this is a BMW forum, but I bet many of you have been in similar situations in the past...

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Cheers from rainy Madrid, Spain.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'd think seriously about not paying for a proper four door, four seat car if you do not need the space. If you do need the space, consider the huge compromise you are making in going with a small car like the Cayman.

For future reference. there is an "M3 vs...." forum here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
gucci22
Private First Class
Iraq
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Agree with mk

This seems a total personal preference thing based on your needs. The 997, it's a 997; the Cayman drives beautifully; the e90, well it's an M!

So I can't really offer advice but do have a question: after owning 3 Ms, what possessed you to purchase a 1 serious (not that it's a bad car), when you should clearly be driving an e9x and not having this discussion? Just curious.
g
'05 G35 6MT | Silver/Black (SOLD)
'01 328ci Step | Blue/Beige (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Funny I got the M3, my close buddy had the 08 cayman s and now he has an 06 carrera s. All each have their own personality. If you want an all out sports car, go with the cayman no question. The carrera is nice, feels really expensive but the m3 is faster, and the cayman does handle better. The m3 is the best all around. It has the space, very good handling despite the weight, while high speed handling is better than the cayman, and the m3 is the fastest.

One note about the porsches, both I drove feel much more "solid" than my m3 as far as build quality.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

personally, i am a die hard cayman s guy. nearly bought it over the m...but i drove it recently, the new one, after driving the m3 for a year, it just felt drastically underpowered.
i think the base 911 is overrated, the new 911s is fun, but the 06 doesnt really make me smile.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUR View Post
Hi all:

It's been a while since I last wrote on this forum (having had my one series for some time I've been focused on 1Addicts).

After owning three M3's (one M3 e36 Euro Spec, one M3 e36 Convert USA spec and one M3 e46 Convert Euro Spec) I bought 14 months ago a wonderfull 135i.

The car is amazing, and the engine is... well... probably one of the best engines I've owned. But I feel the need of something sportier at the moment (in the end of the day, the one 135i is "only" a very powerful one series).

So, the doubt comes when I think of possible substitutes. These are the candidates:

- 2006 997 S
- 2007 Cayman S

I admit I love the e90 (more than the e92), specially because of the amazing V8... But I've been looking onto the Porsche world for some time, and been bitten by that "bug"...

¿What do you think? I know this is a BMW forum, but I bet many of you have been in similar situations in the past...

Personally, I would go for 2008 M3 e90 reasons are:
1. 2008 M3 is newer especially only 20 miles it's consider new, so less headache with wearable parts
2. M3 (I hope DCT) shifting is no comparable with the two candidate much much smoother.
3. M3 is DD (Daily Drive) and performance car as well.
4. Porsches are so stiff in suspension and harder to drive (Strictly more sport car excellent for track)
5. Many many more reasons.....
Hope these above help you in making decisions.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I truly like all German cars and love Porsche. However, I always thought that the Cayman was like wearing "MANI" and the Carrera was like "ARMANI COLLEZIONI". Kind of like you couldnt afford the Carrera so settled??
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Do you need a backseat? If not, I say 07 cockster s. My neighbor two doors down the street has the same car (black on black with 6 speed) and we often drive each other's car. I love my m, but that porsche is fantastic. I just happen to believe that the p cars are overly conspicuous. Plus, I have a kid and he doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:

- 2006 997 S
- 2007 Cayman S
My opinion: go with the M3 or Cayman S.

The 06 997s is such an older car and I'm assuming its not under warranty any-longer, which is a big deal in my mind when getting a 997.1. Also you have to consider if the 997 is your DD, its missing tons of the modern features that the M has in spades - things like bluetooth, a working nav (nav in the 997.1 is a joke), iPod, etc. Plus in my mind, the 997s is not a DD, its a 2nd car (ie for the weekend and if you live in a 4-season place, summer driving only).

The M3 is the best all-rounder as people have said. You get the sportiness plus the comfort, plus the space and practical use. The car you cited is pretty much brand new and you will have a full warranty on your side, which is pretty big.

If you want something pure sportiness, then the Cayman S is not a bad choice. It won't be as pricey as the 06 997 s, and it does handle just as well or better then the 997 s according to many who have driven both. But its under-powered, especially when you are coming from a 135i. The torque on the N54 engine makes driving other N/A cars feel slow. I know, cause when I test-drove a 06 997s from my 335i coupe, it didn't feel that impressive from a speed stand-point. That torque does spoil you.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

since you have the 135i which most likely mean rear seats are not important to you, I think you would feel right at home with the gayman S.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

M3 is a very nice luxury daily car which Porsche is not.
Although M3 is powerful car, Porsche is a sport car.
For space and luxury, M3.
For track, Cayman S.
Once you drive both cars for a month, you will have an answer.
Carrera is a legend.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Quote:
I think you would feel right at home with the gayman S.
that's funny, never heard that one
      12-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
that's funny, never heard that one
misspelled it by accident.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Personally I can't stand the Cayman. The 997 is the definately a step up all around. I think coming from a 135i, none of the cars are going to blow your shorts off as far as acceleration is concerned, but they all handle and drive differently. I say stick to the 135i, it's a great car!
      12-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Get the 997S, if you have any interest in Porsches just get it over with and try a 911, it's inevitable. You can go back to a BMW anytime, why not try a Porsche and see how it fits. Cayman does drive better than anything under a GT3, but then you've got to put up with the poser kids and their immature comments. I see your above that, driving a very nice 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
DUR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A/W 135i M pack

Thank you all for your replies!!!

My current 135i is not a DD so the new car woulnd't be it either. The use is mainly weekend focused, with some long distance trips and maybe one trackday per year.

I have no kids yet, it's only my wife and me. Nevertheless we do Travel sometimes with friends or family (we both have divorces parents) which explains the occasional use of back seats and a big trunk.

Regarding the 135i, it is indeed a great car, but it's far from being a sportscar. It lacks general feel, better suspension and better breaks (which fade after intense hardcore use). And I don't want to spend thousands on aftermarket upgrades...

I think M3 will be the candidate...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
robertd320
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Porsche Gt3 Ftw!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

The M3 is a great all around car....daily driver, track, and much more subtle than a Porsche. I do not think I would ever want to own a Porsche as a daily driver, particularly with kids (my situation). With saying that I would like to own a 911 sometime as a secondary car. Probably go the route of a used garage queen (3-5 year old) where you can pick them up for a great price. I owned a 2000 Boxster S as a summer car for 2 years that I only drove on warm, sunny days. It was a fun car to drive. A 3K lbs car is definitely a lot of fun. It would not be a very comfortable daily driver.

Lot of variables to consider depending on if you need a backseat, daily driver, plan on tracking it and your experience at the track. Here are my thoughts….

Daily driver:
1. M3
2. 911
3. Cayman

Daily driver with a few track days a year:
1. M3
2. 911
3. Cayman

Lots of track days:
1. 911
2. Cayman
3. M3

I have been to a few track events with Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc. Experienced drivers with a the rear engine 911 can fly around the track. A light(er) weight car with a lot of power is a recipe for great fun at the track. Inexperienced drivers at the track have a harder time going fast and being smooth as the rear engine is not as forgiving. The Cayman is a slightly different story. The mid-engine in a lightweight car allows inexperienced drivers to go fast as it is not as hard to maintain control. Same with the M3…..it is definitely easier to drive fast at the track compared to a 911.

Good luck with the decision. You have a good choice of cars to pick from.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Hi all:

- 2006 997 S
- 2007 Cayman S

I owned an '06 CaymanS. Great car, phenominal handling (best I've ever driven actually); underpowered and very cramped (I'm 6'1"). I have a 997S.1 right now that I am looking to sell. Need more of a DD and after a ton of research, the E90/92 is perfect and will fit my needs. It has a ton of performance plus has a usable trunk (golf clubs, files, groceries, etc.) And a back seat (more for drycleaning, jacket, winter coat, etc. than for seating ). A CaymanS and a 911 while fantastic cars are not conducive for DD.....trust me, I learned the hard way.

EDIT --- just saw ur post that it will not be a DD...I'd still opt for the M3 though
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I think you already answered your own question, but one more perspective. After driving the 911, 911S and Cayman S, the 911 was out. To me, just like Rolex watches and Ferraris, it's just hype (an ego-driven purchase IMO). Yeah, the proper driver can toss it around a track, but same with a Mustang.

To me, the decision was between the Cayman S and M3 coupe. Problem with the Cayman S is it's tiny, so forget about a trip for 2 on that car with more than underwear and toiletries . Drives great though, but to me, lack of luggage space was a major setback. I don't have any twisties or tracks around home, so I enjoy these cars on trips, but your situation could be different. I also found PASM and adaptive seats were a must to me; couldn't find comfort with the manual regular or sport seats (electric regular seats are less supportive than my Accord 6MT DD), and regular suspension was too stiff for normal driving with the also mandatory (to me) 19" wheels. And with an '07, you lack bluetooth, nav is worthless (as noted), no sat/HD ratio either, so that makes a CD changer a must item as well. Oh, and Bose is a must too, but don't expect it to sound anywhere near the individual stereo on our M cars, which is not that great to begin with (but adequate for me). If you decide on the Cayman S, you'll have to look at the options you need very carefully. With adaptive seats, your options narrow down to almost zero, so hope you don't need them. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #21
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

Daily Driver = M3
Performance = 911

That being said though, I drive my 911 just as much as my M3 and the M3 is just as fun to drive as my 911. They both do some things better then the other but overall I love each as much.
      12-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies!!!

My current 135i is not a DD so the new car woulnd't be it either. The use is mainly weekend focused, with some long distance trips and maybe one trackday per year.

I have no kids yet, it's only my wife and me. Nevertheless we do Travel sometimes with friends or family (we both have divorces parents) which explains the occasional use of back seats and a big trunk.

Regarding the 135i, it is indeed a great car, but it's far from being a sportscar. It lacks general feel, better suspension and better breaks (which fade after intense hardcore use). And I don't want to spend thousands on aftermarket upgrades...

I think M3 will be the candidate...

Cheers
based on your description, I think you would be happy with the e92 m3 since you need more of an all around car that is better than the 135i. go for the m man.
Appreciate 0