BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #23
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
I love the look of any Duc sportbike, but I would never buy one. The "comfort" is just not there. I know sportbikes are NOT supposed to be comfy, but sitting on a block of wood for more than 10 minutes hurts. Friend has one and I laugh every time he has to take it in, it's ridiculous. I had my '05 R1 for 6 years and I just had routine maintenance only.

Not to thread jack, but i've been on the fence about a new bike. Probably my last sportbike. I'm getting older. S1000RR is my top choice so far. The new Kaw ZX-10r looks sweet and a little less expensive. But the bike I want to see the most is the Aprilia RSV4 R APRC. Has anyone seen this bike? I cannot find one dealer around me that has it on the floor.
Have seen one hear in Houston at Houston Superbikes.

Very nice bike, indeed. Looks like a scalpel....I bet it makes its rider feel like Biaggi.

I look like a gorilla on a pocket bike when I jump on the new RSV4.

However, I had a '07 Tuono R that I miss dearly...wish I had never sold that one.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

As mentioned above.... find a few bikes that actually fit you and then choose from there. Minor changes in geometry are possible with bar and peg swap-outs.

I'm currently on an R1200S. It fits, it goes faster than I can ride it, it's well made. Good enough. The last Duc I had was a new 907ie. I've ridden several since and just cannot get comfortable. The 851 is iconic but needs saddle time to get used to it. The 996 is crippling after a couple of hours. The 1098 and 1198 just feel too small. Totally a personal thing. I have two friends with Monsters and both love them.

Getting to a "fit" is not a shy "may I sit on the bike?" for three seconds and then climbing off thinking "I guess that felt OK." Get on, stay on, shift your weight, close your eyes, keep staying on. After at least a full five minutes you'll have a better idea if it fits. Then, a test ride would be nice. You can always find a test ride opportunity in the used bike listings and maybe you'll find the actual bike you buy.

Having said all that, I really like the tech of the BMW S1000RR and will probably make it my next bike at some point.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #25
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Just test rode the 1198 today. Somehow, they didn't want me on a modded 848 but would rather throw me the keys to a more expensive machine.

Pros:

- Phenomenal power delivery. 90 mph was literally a blink of an eye. No one was unpassable.
- Sound was great but I know the V-twin sound is an acquired taste. The demo bike had carbon fiber Termignonis already installed. It was a fantastic rumble unlike the sewing machine of inline fours.
- Wonderful shifter. I never use the clutch when upshifting and the 1198's shifter was just incredibly accurate and smooth. It was positioned well and easy to shift.
- What a looker. Of course, that was expected.

Cons:

- Body positioning was very leaned forward
- No tank to grip on; even with StompGrip pads! Tank was too narrow.
- No seat space to move forward and back when trying to hang off.
- No gear indicator on the crappy dash
- Funky low end rideability. Anything near parking lot speeds was bad

Uggghhh.... If only they could throw a V-twin into the ZX-6R. Gotta think this through.
      10-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Please please please get it in white
I think almost any sportbike, looks AMAZING in white...that being said that ducatti is crazy amazing.

I really liked the honda CBR600 from a few years ago, mabey 06 or 08 that was avail in white, but the seat was terrabad.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #27
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Just test rode the 1198 today. Somehow, they didn't want me on a modded 848 but would rather throw me the keys to a more expensive machine.

Pros:

- Phenomenal power delivery. 90 mph was literally a blink of an eye. No one was unpassable.
- Sound was great but I know the V-twin sound is an acquired taste. The demo bike had carbon fiber Termignonis already installed. It was a fantastic rumble unlike the sewing machine of inline fours.
- Wonderful shifter. I never use the clutch when upshifting and the 1198's shifter was just incredibly accurate and smooth. It was positioned well and easy to shift.
- What a looker. Of course, that was expected.

Cons:

- Body positioning was very leaned forward
- No tank to grip on; even with StompGrip pads! Tank was too narrow.
- No seat space to move forward and back when trying to hang off.
- No gear indicator on the crappy dash
- Funky low end rideability. Anything near parking lot speeds was bad

Uggghhh.... If only they could throw a V-twin into the ZX-6R. Gotta think this through.
Looks like you already have an Akra installed. That doesn't tickle your fancy in terms of noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #28
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Looks like you already have an Akra installed. That doesn't tickle your fancy in terms of noise?
It sounds great to be honest but I always wear earplugs while riding so it's for other people's enjoyment. The inline four tends to get people's attention as it's very motorsport-like. The V-twin is new to me. Grass is always greener...

What totally messed me up was how easy the ZX-6R was to ride fast. They put a lot of effort into going fast. Like I said before, I just wish it had a nice twin powering it for city driving. Kind of like the 335i vs M3 comparison.

Don't know really... Maybe Ducati is overhyped and in some ways it's kind of a Veblen good.

I might look into buying a used one that's already been modded. It's an 09 with Termis, a dry slipper clutch conversion, rearsets, steering damper, and Ohlins.
      10-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Now go ride the Aprilia. You review of the Duc is nearly identicle to my experience. The Ape won me over.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #30
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Now go ride the Aprilia. You review of the Duc is nearly identicle to my experience. The Ape won me over.
That is totally the next thing on my list. And the beauty of it is. There's a lot of new old stock left over from 08 and 09. They cost roughly the same as my Ninja. What a score. Looks like I don't have to chip in too much for an Italian twin.
      10-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #31
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
That is totally the next thing on my list. And the beauty of it is. There's a lot of new old stock left over from 08 and 09. They cost roughly the same as my Ninja. What a score. Looks like I don't have to chip in too much for an Italian twin.
Exactly. Even the "Factory" versions are going for cheap. Check out AF1 Racing out of Texas. They are the #1 Ape tuner in the country. They have great pricing and will ship it to your door. Most times for less than you can buy locally. Stand up guys and a great shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
M3Addict
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black M3

I own a black '10 ZX-6R. I personally love it. Plenty of power and handling is definitely top notch.