BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
Ely21
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, Competition Pkg

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
E90 Driver side wind noise

My apologies in advance if this topic has possibly been covered in other threads. If so, I couldn't find it. Anybody know of a DIY on fixing wind noise on E90 driver side window? (This issue predates the previous concern I posted regarding the windshield replacement). I've tried Gummi Pflege on the seals, adjusted the driver door (about a dozen times), tape - nothing works. This is a very noticeable (to me) level of wind noise at highway speeds and is driving me crazy. I haven't successfully tried adjusting the window. I'm aware of the small hole at the bottom of the door, plugged with a rubber seal, but I'm not sure where the adjustment is or what tool is required. One thing, I unfortunately suffered a direct impact to my left front fender area with a rather large deer about a year after acquiring the car. I was only driving about 35 mph and was on a fairly well traveled side road near my home when the deer hit ME running full speed from a wooded area. The car remained drivable and the damage was mainly cosmetic but was still more than $8,000. The frame was not damaged (confirmed by BMW dealership). The job that the collision repair company did was very good, BUT, I've never been able to get rid of the annoying wind noise. The car was under warranty at the time so I had the dealer look at it. The service manager acknowledged it and they put some tape on the door (which I soon removed because it didn't work and was unsightly), and called it a day. I was also told by the company that performed the repair that there was nothing more they could do. Frankly, at the time, I felt very fortunate that they had done a really good job on the repair and that I would be able to fix the wind noise issue myself. Wrong! I'm also now wondering if the repair company might have done something when they removed the door panel during the repair. I've been living with this for some time now, but I want to get it fixed. The car only has about 41,000 miles and is a 2011. However, my annual mileage is likely to start increasing.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Could it be the body shop didn't put the factory insulation piece back in the door? Happened to a friend of mine (non-bmw) when he had his door glass replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Pick an an aftermarket exhaust. Problem solved
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Can you post some photos of your driver's door trim (all the way around the door edge/opening) with the door opened and closed?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Ely21
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Sure, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Took it out today to try (again) to really listen to try and figure out exactly where the air noise is coming from. It sounded today like it's below the window. I didn't want to pull the door panel off but that's my next step.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

I have the exact same wind noise issue on my 2013 e92. tried adjusting the door and no go.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Btw mentioned small holes at the end of the doors are to drain water soming in from the windows arent they. I'd avoid plugging those.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
Ely21
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I took some pics of my driver side window. I did try one more time to adjust the door, didn't work. My next step is to take off the door panel to see if the repair company might have done something during the collision repair.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Lol I'm having the same problem, but pass side.

First, I would remove those plugs you installed, because it's there to drain water away. If you plugged those, you could be storing a bad puddle inside your door and it's going to rot from the inside out

Second, check all the door seals and they're making solid contact with the frame. Are you having noise towards the front of the door? That's where most of the issue should be as air will enter from front cavities and travel towards the rear. Make sure those are making good contact with the frame
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Having recently replaced the interior rubber door/window trim on my E92, I learned these seals are a tight fit and will get wavy if the installer doesn't fully push the trim into every corner. The waviness caused wind noise for me. Double check that the trim is pushed all the way into the corner where the green arrows are as it looks like it has a little more room to go. Hard to tell from the picture, but there may be a bit too much slack in the yellow box areas.

Check to see if this seal overlap (or something similar) is found on the E90. On the E92, I found the rubber flap here (in blue) could work itself out and act as a parachute catching air that would have otherwise slipped by. The solution was to tuck it in under the other seal. On the E92 this is hidden about 12" above the side mirror.

Appreciate 1
audioMeth222.00
      12-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
Ely21
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
Having recently replaced the interior rubber door/window trim on my E92, I learned these seals are a tight fit and will get wavy if the installer doesn't fully push the trim into every corner. The waviness caused wind noise for me. Double check that the trim is pushed all the way into the corner where the green arrows are as it looks like it has a little more room to go. Hard to tell from the picture, but there may be a bit too much slack in the yellow box areas.

Check to see if this seal overlap (or something similar) is found on the E90. On the E92, I found the rubber flap here (in blue) could work itself out and act as a parachute catching air that would have otherwise slipped by. The solution was to tuck it in under the other seal. On the E92 this is hidden about 12" above the side mirror.

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated. I'll definitely check this out. Meanwhile, I removed the door panel earlier and managed to break the connector that hooks up the wires to the tweeter (I shouldn't be doing this, I know, because it's extremely difficult to use my hands after my stroke). I'm hoping Pelican Parts can help me find the correct part number. We're exchanging emails at the moment. In the photo below I have the wires that run directly to the tweeter in my fingers. The black connector is the one that's broken. Any thoughts on how to locate a new connector would be greatly appreciated. I tried www.realoem.com, no luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Ely21
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Update: Found the connector online. It's a Tyco 1-968654-1. I can get it for $1.19!! However, shipping cost is very high. I'll be checking locally first thing Monday morning. Once I get this door panel back on, I sure won't be doing this again anytime soon without help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tyco Connector 1-968654-1.pdf (383.6 KB, 170 views)
Appreciate 0