BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

01-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

What is the "best" speaker / amp - share the opinion thread

I know this is a loaded question, in fact I hope it really becomes a deep thread. I've done custom audio install in my cars in the past, in fact some very high end stuff. But this was in e36 days so I assume technology has changed.

Doing a cursory check of the web and reading through this section of the site many of the names have changed are new to me.

When I was doing the work, components from A/D/S, speakers from Dynaudio were the stuff to get. I doubt ADS is still in business and Dynaudio sold out to be a component in VW. So the world turns.

Please share your experience with high-end gear. I'm looking for options in upgrading my stock 2011 HIFI system with new speakers and amp. The goal is to reuse as much stock location as possible, with the possible exception of sub in trunk - though I have that covered with JL amp and speaker already.

Many thanks and opine away!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

if you want to reuse stock locations,my understanding is that not many speakers fit into bmw's.that's why i upgraded my hi-fi system with the bsw speakers-
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

this kit replaced my 8 speakers,left the underseat subs as is.i'll upgrade those later.they are tailored to fit in the bmw's spaces and keep an oem appearance,with no new wiring.they say they will eventually make an amp,but it's been a long time in development.there are certainly higher end speakers out there,but these are very convenient,and are a big improvement over the stock hifi speakers.they appear of high quality,and my bmw mechanic friend was able to install them in about 20 minutes
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Dynaudio sold out? Wow! Did you you Dynaudio are also in Bugatti?

These are my Dynaudio Esotar2 with Tru Stage 4 amps in my E60, $7600 in speakers, $7500 in amps.

Current amps, Brax MX4s $9,000.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

He asked for the best...
      01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Now that's what you call a sound system ... It must be music to your ear!
      01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I "assumed" Dynauadio was done - with them producing stuff for VW... same a Boston and a handful of other manufacturers.

I had Dynaudio mids and lows in my last custom install, I opted for other tweeters as I wanted super harsh highs (don't ask, I've grown up).

So really not many other opinions out there?

And yea, I'm interested in stock locations so I know I'm limited. Putting those speakers where the dead pedal is, is frankly a bad idea - especially on a performance car. Plus I'd never have a tweeter shooting at my ankle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

You might wanna check Dynaudio website, they are still very active in aftermarket world. Their Esotars2 drivers are one of the most desirable drivers with SQ guys. Will make hear stuff you've never heard before.

There's plenty of options out there. Focal, Rainbow, DLS, Audio System etc all make speakers that fit in stock locations.

Regarding the kick panels, I guess you've never heard a system with kick panels. You'll be suprised what Time alignment can do. My car is a car audio competition car, competes with the best in the country. I have a 530i, not really a perfomance car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The car I did with the Dynaudio had time alignment, but nothing on the floor like that. The digital domain processing was awesome. People laughed at it - they I said, sit in the passenger seat, listen, now sit in my seat... they were blown away.

Thanks for the info - Focal was something I was thinking about but will look at DA too!
Cheers.
Appreciate 0