BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
ArachidonicAcid
Registered
Rep
Drives: Civic Si 03

Help me decide on purchasing an M3 PLEASE

I am relatively new to the forum, and I am enjoying reading all the information, debates, and rivalries. I have been obsessed with sports cars since around age six. Becoming a physician in the last year, I will finally be able to afford the car of my dreams. Ever since high school I have been in love with the M3 for many reasons (performance, luxury, practicality, etc), and it is still #1 on my list. An all-out sports car like an R8 will not work for the time because I only want to have one car right now, and I want the ability to carry four adults or two kids and the wife. I am over the WRX STi and EVO phase of my life, and I am not interested in the American sport coupes/sedans (sorry America). My options are between the RS4, S5, 335i, M3, C63, ISF, 911S, and the GT-R. I test drove the the '09 911S, S5, 335i and the M3 recently and really enjoyed all of them; however, the M3 just carries the mystique due to its performance, looks, rarity, etc. I really liked the M3, but a test drive is not enough for me to truly know the car. So that brings me to my question regarding the M3 as it's supposed dearth or torque especially in the low-rev range. Is it as bad as many of you have expressed? The M3 will be my daily driver. It will probably never see the inside of a race track. I just want a car the is quicker than most others, luxurious, practical (carries 4 or two golf bags), and has a rarity factor. If the torque is a huge factor, what is to be done about it? Dinan 4.10, aftermarket exhaust, ECU upgrade? Which upgrades do you guys recommend? By the way, my current car is an '03 Civic Si (lightly modified); it's quick around town but is easliy beat to a merge or stop light by an moderately powerful V6/V8 that wants to floor it. It was a good, cheap, reliable car for med school, but the time for change is here. I am in love with the idea of the M3, and I am I will be in love with the M3 once I own it, but I just want to be sure it's the right choice. Thanks again for reading and humoring me.

Dr. J

Last edited by ArachidonicAcid; 01-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: name
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

well, let me start off by congratulating you on becoming a physician and i am sure that job pays well enough to get you couple of m3's once your out of the debt for all those school loans

now, m3 is an amazing machine as you probably know and compared to other cars that you have listed, it will probably keep its value much longer than most of them (except maybe Porsche), due to the current economy i think you should pull the trigger on the new M and i think your going to get a great price on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #3
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

3 Passengers(adult) in a 911?

If you want low-end torque, dont consider the M3... its a high-end torque car! You may chip and get a bit more... but you wont chance the whole characteristic.

If you really want LOW-end-torque ... go for the c63

the m3 might not offer that much torque, BUT you ve a asskicking acceleration when redlining the car and thats the "magic" about the new M3.

It drives like a Golf GTI while reving in between 1000 and 5000 rpm but if you go for the higher revs you unleash this beast under the hood...

therefor you buy 2 cars in one: relaxed daily driver and brute force race machine in one car
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

If you can afford it, make sure you research the GTR before making your final decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

IMO for the budget or thereabouts:

1) 997 Turbo if you can afford it
2) M3
      01-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

For what you described as your "needs" I would take out some cars and add in one you dont have on your list.

I personally dont like 4 door sports cars so if its a coupe I would definately recommend the M3 . If you dont mind 4 door non stick cars I would actually go for the c63 from your list.

The car I would add to that list (especially if you dont plan on keeping it past warranty period) is the CTS-V ! Its a damn aggressive and nice looking car and has great performance and is slightly more spacious than the C63.

I would definately TAKE OUT the GTR ,ISF and 911. Why would I take them out? BAsed on your needs they wouldnt be good cars for daily use with passengers with the exception of the ISF but why not get a M3 4 door or C63 over an ISF?

I think you need to start with... "Do I want a 2 or 4 door" then go from there because you are all over the place with your choice of cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

The M3 makes a nice family driver. My cousin and his wife complimented me on how smooth it felt on the road compared to their Mercedes. This of course was with the Electronic Dampening Control setting the suspension to "normal" mode.

As mentioned before, the power comes at higher revs. So at stop lights with this car you're going to have to give a bit of extra work to be faster off the line than everyone else. As for merging, it simply means you drop down a gear or two revving the engine up. Just be careful because doing 90 in this thing feels like you're only going 50.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
For what you described as your "needs" I would take out some cars and add in one you dont have on your list.

I personally dont like 4 door sports cars so if its a coupe I would definately recommend the M3 . If you dont mind 4 door non stick cars I would actually go for the c63 from your list.

The car I would add to that list (especially if you dont plan on keeping it past warranty period) is the CTS-V ! Its a damn aggressive and nice looking car and has great performance and is slightly more spacious than the C63.

I would definately TAKE OUT the GTR ,ISF and 911. Why would I take them out? BAsed on your needs they wouldnt be good cars for daily use with passengers with the exception of the ISF but why not get a M3 4 door or C63 over an ISF?

I think you need to start with... "Do I want a 2 or 4 door" then go from there because you are all over the place with your choice of cars.
Other than the seats the interior of the C63 is a joke. Most reviews say that the seats (at least the front ones) are the only redeeming factor of the interior. My friend's mom has one and when we went out in it we both agreed the plastics are too cheap for a Mercedes, along with other design pieces. One of the reasons why I chose a 335i over a C350.

The ISF is super quiet unless you floor it, then it has an awesome sound. The interior quality is much better than a Mercedes for sure. The only thing missing is the "wow" factor that BMW and the other marques have. If you can get over that you should try one.

If the OP is hellbent on getting an M3, I say get one. But test drive a 335i because the low-end driveability is terrific and cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Other than the seats the interior of the C63 is a joke. Most reviews say that the seats (at least the front ones) are the only redeeming factor of the interior. My friend's mom has one and when we went out in it we both agreed the plastics are too cheap for a Mercedes, along with other design pieces. One of the reasons why I chose a 335i over a C350.

The ISF is super quiet unless you floor it, then it has an awesome sound. The interior quality is much better than a Mercedes for sure. The only thing missing is the "wow" factor that BMW and the other marques have. If you can get over that you should try one.

If the OP is hellbent on getting an M3, I say get one. But test drive a 335i because the low-end driveability is terrific and cheaper.
In another thread comparing the M3 you are all over a Porsche, if you could afford it.
It appears (for you) it's any car except an M3, even an inferior one like a 335.

I keep hearing 335 owners talk about "low-end driveability", and now I think I know what you are talking about. It's not performance at all, since the M3 blows yours away. You are into relatively "low-end" cars and how they drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i

You're in the same boat as I am, sort of:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202060

My advice is to rent an M3 for a day as I plan to do and as I've read others here have done, but also be sure to drive a 335i because it is a quick and fun car just based on my test drive experience with it. There's one rental place in the SF bay area that has an e92 6MT but since you're in florida, here's one there though it's auto and a vert:
http://www.4edson.com/bmw_m3_convert...nt_rentals.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
ArachidonicAcid
Registered
Rep
Drives: Civic Si 03

Thanks for the help

Thanks everybody for lending your opinons and advice regarding my new M3 prospects. And Techimo thanks for the link and info on renting an M3 in Florida; I will have to do that before buying one. Although it being auto and vert, it will be quite different from what I want manual and coupe. Anyway, I will post some pics and let everyone know about the new ride once I do it. Thanks again.

Dr. J
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I had my 335i for over a year before getting the M3 and I don't feel a noticeable difference in torque between the 335i and the M3. The M3 actually feels much lighter than the 335i. It is a shame the SA in the States ride with you during test drives. The M3 made an immediate impression on me when I test drove it. I beat the hell out of that car and then I turned off traction control and repeated the beating. That was the end for me, put the 335i on the market and never looked back. The 335i is a wonderful car, but it didn't satisfy me as I thought it would. That's my story.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
In another thread comparing the M3 you are all over a Porsche, if you could afford it.
It appears (for you) it's any car except an M3, even an inferior one like a 335.

I keep hearing 335 owners talk about "low-end driveability", and now I think I know what you are talking about. It's not performance at all, since the M3 blows yours away. You are into relatively "low-end" cars and how they drive.
You are a tool. In case reading comprehension has escaped you (it looks like it did before you posted):

1) I said I'd rather have a 997 because I want it more than most cars out there, regardless the performance
2) Others have suggested driving the 335 in this thread.

Try posting something relevant next time instead. That GED has to be good for something.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
First, the M3 is not a low torque car, it's just not a high torque car. You'll notice that in interstate cruising that it's running over 3,000 rpm. At that speed it's got very good torque. Driving a Mustang or 'vette you might shift into second gear at 2,000 or less, but the M3 will shift more smoothly if you shift at 3k or above. If you're going to run at it's potential you'll keep it at 4-grand, but for daily driving you'll run between 2 and 4k routinely in almost any gear. It's not going to buck or shutter or do anything untoward.

Drive the Caddy and the AMG and notice the difference in suspension feel and willingness of the engine. You may prefer the big torque, but try the M3 and drive it at higher rpm. I've got the 6spd manual, but I driven the dual clutch a lot at the BMW Performance Center and prefer both transmissions to Caddy's or AMG's.

Next Monday I'm installing the Dinan 4.10 and Active Autowerke's exhaust. I'll add a chip when Dinan and BMW finish haggling over approval. I'm not doing it for street performance, but for autocross and some track days. Also, I'm a mile high in Denver, so I want a little help to offset the power lost to thin air that the compressor cars don't suffer so much.

One thing neat about M3 is all the performance and appearance parts available. I came from Mustang, which is full of modders, and the M3 crowd has a lot of that same attitude.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

New doctor who claims to be in love with the M3 since high school but needs random, unknown internet people to "help him decide" on purchasing the M3?

I'll help you decide on something first:
pay off your medical school debts first, in the meantime, get a nice car that's 1/2 the price.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #16
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
New doctor who claims to be in love with the M3 since high school but needs random, unknown internet people to "help him decide" on purchasing the M3?

I'll help you decide on something first:
pay off your medical school debts first, in the meantime, get a nice car that's 1/2 the price.
how bout the doctor spends his money however he likes and he sure is one person that deserves a m3 after all that hard work in school.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny31 View Post
how bout the doctor spends his money however he likes and he sure is one person that deserves a m3 after all that hard work in school.
+1. Interest rates on his loans are stupid low if he's just finishing. Live the dream now if you can afford it!
      02-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
+1. Interest rates on his loans are stupid low if he's just finishing. Live the dream now if you can afford it!
amen.

To the OP: go for the M3. You will never look back!
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think he got an auto vert M3 long ago...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny31 View Post
Yeah you say that now, but clearly you haven't seen the reports of all the doctors defaulting on paying their school loans off. Just like the foreclosure issue, these doctors who are making well into the six figures a year or two out of medical school aren't paying their loans off.
And guess who pays for it in the end?

Guess that's the "in" thing to do now as an American. Get yourself into huge debt on a house, school loans, boats, cars, whatever, and then not pay and let the banks tank and the rest of the country suffer.
Sounds like a great plan.

I wonder if you said the same "how about he spend his money however he likes" to all the CEO's too. Oh and for the record, when you are hugely in debt, it's not your money to spend until your debts are paid off.
If everyone had this simple common sense idea the country wouldn't be in the gross economic collapse as it is in, regardless of how much the banks lured people in with low interest.

An educated man like a doctor should know better.
But it wasn't that point I was questioning anyway, it was the fact he stated his dream car was an M3 since high school but yet he needed a bunch of unknowns to help convince him to buy an M3.
But I do agree with you on the point of he deserves a nice car for all his hard work. But those "treats" should come with the responsibility of removing any debt you have first. As without that financial help (debt) he (and anybody else) wouldn't have that degree and be in the position to make the money he surely can (or will).

Hope he has better judgment with his patients!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
So now all we to know is someone's profession and we can determine if an M3 is a suitable investment for them???

Come on, let's stick to talking about cars and how they compare to one another and leave the financial counseling to those better equipped to give specific advice to a specific person.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Dr J - congrats! I guess we are in similar boat with selection of cars. I love big torque cars but just can't do American muscle cars anymore so I am also considering similar list of cars you mentioned. I am not sure what your budget is but have you considered used 997TT? 2007 is going for low 80s in some places and recent autions show high 70's. But if you have to have a new car, I think M3 or C63 makes alot of sense. GTR is a great car but I just can't justify styling and slew of questionable and very expensive maintenance.

I had my name on the list for Audi Rs5 but no one seems to know if the car will even make it to production.

I am hoping to test drive an M3 this weekend so I should have better idea.

Quick ? - so did I hear this right that 335 feels torquier than the M3? I had an 07 335 and the car was a blast and I was hoping M3 would take it to the next level but I will certainly miss that low end torque.
Appreciate 0