BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I just got BPM'd

http://www.bpmsport.com/

After reading about all the great feedback from Mike Benvo's tune I decided to try it out. I have never been a NA tuning fan because I never thought you can get much performance out of it. I love FI tunes because you can easily gain 20+ hp.

My dilemma was that I wanted more torque down low. I was on the verge of getting the Dinan Diff (either 3.45 or 3.62) but the cost vs real performance gains were coming up short. I've also thought about the low boost superchargers (non inter-cooled) but my car is a 2008 and I don't want the hassle of removing the SC for inspection.

After reading about all the positive results from the BPM tune I called Mike and we met up the next weekend (today). First off, Mike is exactly what other have described...Cool mutha brotha. He felt like a old friend. Very professional and made me feel comfortable during the entire process. He offered to upgrade my OEM software free of charge, but noticed that I had already upgraded recently (via EAS). The BPM Tune took no more than 10 minutes. Blazing fast. He hopped in my car in we went for a spin.

Okay, I was a bit of a puss and barely pushed my car...Mike said "don't you ever hit the redline?" Haha, even so the car was chirping on 1st thru 3rd gear. I've never seen my dsc go off like that.

Mike gave me a few recommended upgrades (MDM retrofit) then asked if I wanted to take a spin in his ride to see what having Euro MDM would feel like. Done. I hopped into his car....3 minutes later I almost shit in my pants. Damn Benvo's car is fast as fuck. He was hitting 100mph on the short strips. Next he showed me what MDM can do...Blast...Absolute blast...with his tune he was peeling around a hairpin turn to activate his MDM and demonstrating the difference between the Euro MDM vs the standard DSC. Hell of a way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Afterwards, we shook hands and I left. Then, I got to test the newly installed tune on my 45 mile drive home to OC.

I have to say the tune is a beast. My dsc is having a hard time keeping my wheels in check. I am getting way more torque down low. I am triggering my DSC all through 1st, and 2nd until I let off the gas. I tried starting in 2nd and slowly drove til I reached 2500 rpm and punched it and my back wheels lit up. DSC flashed until I left off the gas. Amazing!

On the freeway, I was riding in 6th. There were a few aggressive drivers and a little congestion but once it freed up I dropped it into 4th and the car took off. A 370z was trying to play but I pulled on that thing as if it was a Prius (No offense, my daily driver is a Prius).

Again this tune is truly amazing considering I only have a AA green filter and a Megan exhaust.

From my experience, It feels like adding 3psi of boost to my engine. I love the car and Mike Benvo is legit, so I highly recommend this shit!
Did you get the transmission tune as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Bumped an old thread but I have the DCT tune and it's a must have. So is the Servo Tune. The DCT tune really helps with the sluggish behavior of the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Bumped an old thread but I have the DCT tune and it's a must have. So is the Servo Tune. The DCT tune really helps with the sluggish behavior of the DCT.
Ok cool, appreciate the input. I was debating if I should get the DCT tune or not, I guess I'll go ahead and pick it up since their running a group buy for the summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5D SAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Ok cool, appreciate the input. I was debating if I should get the DCT tune or not, I guess I'll go ahead and pick it up since their running a group buy for the summer.
When is the group buy for BPM? How do I sign up for it?
      08-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techjunkie666 View Post
When is the group buy for BPM? How do I sign up for it?
You already missed the second one I think. Just call Benvo and see what he says.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

just placed my order and gonna be delivered by tuesday. i cant wait !
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I noticed a number of posts in this thread about how the DSC comes on much more after the tune. I hope people realize that all this means is that you are not really getting the extra power to the ground. So what if you have an extra 12-15 hp? If you don't have the traction to take advantage of it, the DSC/traction systems will just cut the power to the wheels.

The M3 is already traction limited in lower gears with the stock ECU programming. The real benefit here is the subjective feel of the power band, and how the car may be able to pull in higher gears, where traction is not a concern.

So....don't be so happy about your DSC light kicking in more. Be happy about how much better your car feels in general and how it pulls at 80mph when you down shift and punch it.

And yeah.....I haven't done this yet, but I've just heard so many great things about the tune, both online and in person, that I will likely take the plunge too. I really don't care about the added hp, as the objective benefit is trivial. I do care about how it makes an already great feeling engine even that much more enjoyable in its power delivery.
      08-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #30
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I noticed a number of posts in this thread about how the DSC comes on much more after the tune. I hope people realize that all this means is that you are not really getting the extra power to the ground. So what if you have an extra 12-15 hp? If you don't have the traction to take advantage of it, the DSC/traction systems will just cut the power to the wheels.

The M3 is already traction limited in lower gears with the stock ECU programming. The real benefit here is the subjective feel of the power band, and how the car may be able to pull in higher gears, where traction is not a concern.

So....don't be so happy about your DSC light kicking in more. Be happy about how much better your car feels in general and how it pulls at 80mph when you down shift and punch it.

And yeah.....I haven't done this yet, but I've just heard so many great things about the tune, both online and in person, that I will likely take the plunge too. I really don't care about the added hp, as the objective benefit is trivial. I do care about how it makes an already great feeling engine even that much more enjoyable in its power delivery.
Get bigger rubber in the rear then, problem solved. Honestly, the power is definitely welcomed, but I think my favorite part about what Benvo did to the M3 is the Servo. That to me makes all the difference, especially in M mode.

Also, when I was on ZCP's, my DSC light would flash very quick between 1st and 2nd. But it's not like it was completely out of control by any means.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Get bigger rubber in the rear then, problem solved
Definitely not. A wider tire does not automatically result in more forward traction. As you get more power, you need a suspension that is capable of keeping up with new power and to put that power to the ground.

Suspension, brakes, rubber, power, in that order if you really want to do it right. But the nominal +5hp here and +8hp there isn't really enough to warrant a whole lot of distress. But you'd be a fool to bolt on a SC ahead of having your suspension, brakes and tires up to snuff to keep up with an additional 100hp.
      08-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Get bigger rubber in the rear then, problem solved. Honestly, the power is definitely welcomed, but I think my favorite part about what Benvo did to the M3 is the Servo. That to me makes all the difference, especially in M mode.

Also, when I was on ZCP's, my DSC light would flash very quick between 1st and 2nd. But it's not like it was completely out of control by any means.
Slippery slope.....Wider rear tires means wider front tires to maintain the handling composure. This means aftermarket wheels if I want to maintain the fitment that I want.

All I am saying is that the subjective feel is more the important thing here, and that the fact the the DSC kicks in more isn't something to specifically be happy about. No different than the current crop of M5 owners who want to boost power to over 600hp which can be very easily done. What's the point? The car can't properly put even it's existing power to the ground.
      08-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Slippery slope.....Wider rear tires means wider front tires to maintain the handling composure. This means aftermarket wheels if I want to maintain the fitment that I want.

All I am saying is that the subjective feel is more the important thing here, and that the fact the the DSC kicks in more isn't something to specifically be happy about. No different than the current crop of M5 owners who want to boost power to over 600hp which can be very easily done. What's the point? The car can't properly put even it's existing power to the ground.
Don't know if you've already done 255/275? ZCPs can easily handle that.

And I'm saying this in general. I've never felt like I've ever had traction issues really, even with the 220M's my car came with. I think DSC kicking in from 1st to 2nd from a standstill is to be expected. How many 400+ hp RWD cars do we know that won't chirp the tires at all when launching hard?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don't know if you've already done 255/275? ZCPs can easily handle that.

And I'm saying this in general. I've never felt like I've ever had traction issues really, even with the 220M's my car came with. I think DSC kicking in from 1st to 2nd from a standstill is to be expected. How many 400+ hp RWD cars do we know that won't chirp the tires at all when launching hard?
I switched from Conti in stock size to PSS in stock size and that was a big difference right there. I may actually switch to 275 rear when these rears go (which will certainly be before the front) I don't think a 10mm increase in stagger is going to affect things terribly. I am currently running 12mm spacers front and rear because I like the look. Can't do this with 255 fronts without rubbing. If I want to maintain the look/stance with 255's, I will need 9.5" wide wheels with a 25mm offset in front. That would mean, for me, a set of HRE's....19x9.5 ET25 front and 19x10 ET20 rear with 255/275 tires. Just not certain I want to spend that kind of money when the stock ZCP wheels are so hot looking, and the performance increase isn't huge.
      08-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I switched from Conti in stock size to PSS in stock size and that was a big difference right there. I may actually switch to 275 rear when these rears go (which will certainly be before the front) I don't think a 10mm increase in stagger is going to affect things terribly. I am currently running 12mm spacers front and rear because I like the look. Can't do this with 255 fronts without rubbing. If I want to maintain the look/stance with 255's, I will need 9.5" wide wheels with a 25mm offset in front. That would mean, for me, a set of HRE's....19x9.5 ET25 front and 19x10 ET20 rear with 255/275 tires. Just not certain I want to spend that kind of money when the stock ZCP wheels are so hot looking, and the performance increase isn't huge.
Agreed on the ZCP. If I didn't get the killer deal on my HRE's, I would have stuck to them. They look wonderful.

I was running 12mm spacers all around too. I'm 99% sure you can go 255 + 12mm spacers up front no problem. Heck people are doing 10" ZCP's all the way around too, with a drop at that. But like you, I was waiting for my fronts to wear, but the deal came up (a trade) so they are gone now.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
sadiq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2007 A-M Vantage

I got mike's tune last week, and the car feels great. The servotronic and the cold start changes are the most immediately noticeable. Butt dyno says the car feels a bit quicker, but, you know how much the butt dyno is worth. The M3 is already a quick car and I don't really drive hard, so for me, I feel that the servotronic tuning (now and down the road) was worth the $1k alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #37
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:

+2 my favorite part of the tune is the servo because you can always use it.
      08-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Nobody here is "happy" the DSC is going off for the sake of it going off but rather they are happy that the dsc goes off more easily because it is an indicator of improved power to the ground. If it goes off more easily with the same driving as you normally did and it did not go off, than it is an indicator that more power is going to the ground. Whether it is or not or how much is another thing but for some reason Larthal is totally missing the point of why someone potentially would be "happy" to see the dsc light coming on after a tune
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #39
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Longwong's post is awesome lol..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #40
prince_akeem3
Tales from the M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 M DCT Silverstone

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Reading these reviews are making me more and more excited about getting a tune but I notice that the BPM tune is alot more expensive than the DCT GTS Flash that people are getting as well from Alpine MSS. I'd love some help on an explanation as to why one is better than the other.

Thanks guys
      01-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #41
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I believe there have been several threads discussing this. It appears that all of the DCT tunes offered by the different vendors including Dinan are the same as they all start the tranny in D2 and save your previous S setting.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #42
prince_akeem3
Tales from the M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 M DCT Silverstone

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I believe there have been several threads discussing this. It appears that all of the DCT tunes offered by the different vendors including Dinan are the same as they all start the tranny in D2 and save your previous S setting.
Thanks boss. Still new to forums and searching this whole thing takes a while haha
      01-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #43
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_akeem3 View Post
Thanks boss. Still new to forums and searching this whole thing takes a while haha
No problem. I see you're in Houston. PM me if you want to discuss further.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #44
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Mike is da man! I have his tunes and coding.