BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #177
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I'm not one to preach, sometimes I think I keep the economy going with my consumerism. I did have and e46 then e90 and now back to an e46 track car. But I can spend as much on an e46 if I don't control myself some which defeats the purpose.
Pics of E46?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #178
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

its in my sig?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #179
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Go for the V10

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #180
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
its in my sig?
For some reason, it didn't show up in your sig until that post...For me at least
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #181
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhhjr View Post
For some reason, it didn't show up in your sig until that post...For me at least
no worries, for whatever reason it doesnt show up on my posts that i use my phone to do. it only shows on ones done from my laptop.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #182
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

here is a link to the thread covering the build and ongoing work.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820480

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #183
jwhhjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
here is a link to the thread covering the build and ongoing work.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820480
Awesome. Just skimmed through the whole thread. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #184
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhhjr View Post
Awesome. Just skimmed through the whole thread. Love it.
thanks very quick car for what it is, and have plans to go further with it.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #185
youradhere
United_States
Rep
Drives: New Busted Hotness

Has anyone considered gutting a salvage m5 or m6 for its motor, trans, all of its electronics and modules, the ecu, sensors etc. and transplanting it all into an e9x shell? Even the amenities like stereo and a/c. Basically an m5/6 demon who has possessed a poor unsuspecting virgin e9x. This might be a fix to canbus incompatibility? I'm no pro though.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #186
rev9k
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youradhere View Post
Has anyone considered gutting a salvage m5 or m6 for its motor, trans, all of its electronics and modules, the ecu, sensors etc. and transplanting it all into an e9x shell? Even the amenities like stereo and a/c. Basically an m5/6 demon who has possessed a poor unsuspecting virgin e9x. This might be a fix to canbus incompatibility? I'm no pro though.

take a look at your dash, it's basically the same. the cluster is the same.

This is def an involved swap but not over the top as it's been done before
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #187
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Why would you do it though? The S85 is even less reliable than the S65 due to the high pressure VANOS, in addition of course to the rod bearings issue. It's quite a bit bigger and heavier so it will make an already front heavy understeering M3 handle worse. And for the same money, a supercharger for the S65 will give you more power. Also I'm not sure if the S85 will readily bolt onto either of the two gearboxes available in the M3
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #188
youradhere
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughs65e90 View Post
take a look at your dash, it's basically the same. the cluster is the same.

This is def an involved swap but not over the top as it's been done before
The cluster is a little wider on e6x with the turn indicators on the outside of the gauges rather than between them like e9x. If that's the only difference and they are otherwise compatible then that's great! But there's all this talk about the CAN bus speaking different code. That's why I think you could avoid all the coding problems by bringing over all the electronics from a gutted M5/6. Unfortunately then you're gonna be doing a lot of rewiring and the VINs obviously won't even be close so you'd have to lie to your ecu as far as chassis code and vehicle options. May not be the end of the world though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea about the electronics are the same. We require different data log configurations for our track cars on E92 M3 and E60 M5. We data log directly from the CAN bus. The MSS65 and MSS60 CAN bus data is very different and I am safe to say they are not compatible with each other.

That means anybody who wants to put an S85 into an E92 would need to create a bridge between the two and translate MSS65 CAN traffic to E92 chassis and visa versa. Making matters more complicated, many CAN messages used by the E92 chassis aren't output by the MSS65, and the ones that are common don't appear at the same CAN address and in some cases don't have the same format either.

I hope this helps, wouldn't want you to get into a project only to discover it won't work like you thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #189
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by youradhere View Post
The cluster is a little wider on e6x with the turn indicators on the outside of the gauges rather than between them like e9x. If that's the only difference and they are otherwise compatible then that's great! But there's all this talk about the CAN bus speaking different code. That's why I think you could avoid all the coding problems by bringing over all the electronics from a gutted M5/6. Unfortunately then you're gonna be doing a lot of rewiring and the VINs obviously won't even be close so you'd have to lie to your ecu as far as chassis code and vehicle options. May not be the end of the world though.
Since I wrote that, another poster responded to say one of the BMW modules already handles this type of translation (I think he said JCT module or something like that). I also read somewhere that a 3rd party provides a service to hook S65 into E9x chassis. We know a there have been a handful of successful transplants of S85 into E9x chassis. So at this point, I think the CAN signals and different messages are a much easier problem to solve than I initially thought.

I look forward to the OP's progress and results!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #190
youradhere
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
Since I wrote that, another poster responded to say one of the BMW modules already handles this type of translation (I think he said JCT module or something like that). I also read somewhere that a 3rd party provides a service to hook S65 into E9x chassis. We know a there have been a handful of successful transplants of S85 into E9x chassis. So at this point, I think the CAN signals and different messages are a much easier problem to solve than I initially thought.

I look forward to the OP's progress and results!
Yeah I read that, too. I just tend toward skepticism. The internet is still the internet. I hope it works out for him and he can give us a blow by blow. I wanted to do the same swap, and thought I was so original and then found out its been an idea floating around for some time. *facepalm* haha oh well, when I have the money/time I may still try it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #191
Sti2e92sedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 sedan

Ok so here's some update!

So the engine had to be moved back meaning transmission mounts shifter linkage engine mounts all had to be fabricated. This is all finally complete and engine and transmission are all in place! Now working on fabricating the subframe and oil pan. Next is tuning!

Keep checking for more updates and pictures we are almost there!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #192
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti2e92sedan View Post
Ok so here's some update!

So the engine had to be moved back meaning transmission mounts shifter linkage engine mounts all had to be fabricated. This is all finally complete and engine and transmission are all in place! Now working on fabricating the subframe and oil pan. Next is tuning!

Keep checking for more updates and pictures we are almost there!!!
Congrats. I look forward to the results. But remember this...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #193
Sti2e92sedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 sedan

Please follow up here for official thread! Sorry for changing it I wanted to make a fresh one with full updates and pics
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...6#post15124716
Appreciate 0