BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Closed Thread

05-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #89
///kory
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 m3

Nice car, love black vette's. My dad has a z06 as his weekend car, and I love it. I would have considered buying one when I was looking for a new car if it had a back seat and a dct like option (daily driver with a lot of traffic). This same debate happens on every single non corvette forum though, whether its the gtr forums, porsche, mbenz, etc. I don't understand why people just can't appreciate a great for being a great car. I chose the m3 because in my research it was the best all around car for what I need in this price range, but there was a lot of variables in my choice that other people may not have or care about.

Also to the guy above calling out the m3 stereo type douchebag insult, really? I noticed you edited the kidding part on, but still if we were going to go by stereo type insults (like children), I'm pretty sure the guido gold chain hairy chest middle aged fat ass stereo type is way more accurate for corvette drivers than the yuppy rich kid m3 driver stereo type. Although neither are really true anymore, except my dad is sort of that stereo type =). And besides I think everyone here can agree most douche's have moved on to Audi's.

Anyway, nice car =).

Last edited by ///kory; 05-06-2011 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #90
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
Anyone in a stock M3 on a track against a stock Z06 is hosed.
I've owned both and been on a track with both and the Z06 is a monster - no comparison. Added Trophy BBK and SC is going on next week (on my M3) - I think that levels the playing field somewhat - but stock vs stock... good luck to the m3. Get real. I would be surprised to find anyone that knows these cars and has tracked these cars to DREAM that an E92/E93 could hang stock. Z06 and ZR-1 offer supercar performance and the M3 does not. Just stating the facts.
Most the M3 owners that knock cars like the Z06 are not enthusiasts and will never track their M3. They buy their cars for vanity.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #91
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

They are both great cars, and I've owned and tracked several of each. Neither one does a very good job of replacing the other. M3 owners need to realize the ZO6 is a much higher performance car. Similarly, the ZO6 is embarrassed if attempting the role of a good sports sedan. Get both, or get over it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #92
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
M3 is so much better. Corvette is just another american car.
Thank you so much for your well thought out, detailed contribution to the thread

Is that a self portrait of you in your avatar? Given your many senseless posts on this forum, I suspect you are in that age range.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #93
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
M3 is so much better. Corvette is just another american car.
So much better at what? A blanket statement like this makes no sense to me. Sure, the M3 is a better people hauler and has a more inviting interior, but when it comes to raw performance at anywhere from the race track to the drag strip the Z06 is the better car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #94
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Better handling.
Better braking.
Better speed.
Better sound.
Better looks.
Better name.
More prestigious.
Better options.
Better systems.
Better technology.

Should I go on and on? Do you really need me to explain the difference between BMW and Chevy? Are you for real?

Corvette is another Chevy, it doesn't matter if it can fly to moon, period.

Have you ever owned a real peformance car?

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #95
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Better handling.
Better braking.
Better speed.
Better sound.
Better looks.
Better name.
More prestigious.
Better options.
Better systems.
Better technology.

Should I go on and on? Do you really need me to explain the difference between BMW and Chevy? Are you for real?

C6 Vette pulls 1.0G's or better (all through the line up base to ZR1)

Better braking.
Not even close. The stock brakes in my lowly GS are better than the M3. The ZR1 shares the same brakes as an Enzo. You haven't a clue

Better speed.
Really?...

Better sound.
Sound is subjective. The M3 sounds good at WOT but I'll take my NPP exhaust anyday of the week.

Better looks.

Better name.
M3 has a better name than Corvette?...#1, it doesn't and #2) who cares?

More prestigious.
To fanbois. To the general public an M3 looks like your run of the mill 3 series. Sorry, it's true.

Better options.
What option does an M3 have that a Vette doesn't? Does an M3 have heads up display?

Better systems.
What exactly is better systems?

Better technology
Latest Idrive is fantastic. Will give BMW credit there. But what the hell does a sportscar need idiot options for? I'm too busy rowing gears to care.

No, really you don't. One is higher rated than the other according to JD Power. Not that I care about Chevy or GM because save for the Vette, CTS-V and their trucks, there is nothing else that they make that remotely stirs my soul. See, unlike you, who swings on the nutsack of BMW, I'm no fanboi of any brand. Take a look at my signature line and see the cars I have owned in the past. You have to be either blind or stupid not to see that.

Corvette is another Chevy, it doesn't matter if it can fly to moon, period.[/QUOTE]

A Chevy that has been around for many many decades and continues to be the leading sportscar in this country.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #96
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Better handling.
Better braking.
Better speed.
Better sound.
Better looks.
Better name.
More prestigious.
Better options.
Better systems.
Better technology.

Surely you are kidding right............

E30 M3 debut um..... 1986

Corvette Debut 1953

Sorry you are DEAD wrong. Prestige and heritage are owned by Corvette.
      05-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #97
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt BMW owners care about the sportscar industry in this country (or in any country). I also disagree with you, I seriously believe that BMW leads the world when it comes to innovation, technology, and performance. Their engineering (same can be said for overall German engineering though look at their Refridgerators, washing machines, etc.) is just top notch. I'm fairly certain if Chevy or other companies here weren't so cheap, they'd be able to catch up, but for some reason they like to keep their costs down more than bringing their quality up on par with other German car manufacturers.

Where's BMW on this chart?

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #98
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Caveat to my other post..........

The Corvette was introduced the V8 in 1955 and has NEVER changed it... just made it better. Cant say the same about BMW... who has always gone on the "current trend" of engines. And NO I never said they were not mechanical masterpieces... as they surely are.
      05-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #99
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
. Don't expect a meaningful conversation here.
Sadly enough, I believe that this comment hit the nail right on the head.

It is very difficult to convince some of these individuals that their are great cars out there other than their German made relics.

I mean the whole better handling, better speed, better etc. etc. post just shows that common sense is being avoided here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #100
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can someone please define a daily driver for me? We go on and on about this and it is starting to make zero sense to me.

My daily drive is this...I get up, I put my food and work stuff in my car, I drive to work, and then I drive home. I believe almost any car on the market apparently fits my daily driver definition.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #101
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I got a sedan M3 because I have one car and I'm a family man. If I were to get a real sports car, 2 doors, 2 seater, I'd get a Porsche.
Maybe you should try and stick anything larger than an infant in the back seat of a porsche.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #102
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's a friking CAR FORUM
A lot of people use the forum for factual information.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #103
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Build quality is different than reliability. I don't care if BMW is not as reliable. With so many moving parts and complicated systems, it's bound to fail. I always buy new/lease my cars, never drive more than 3 years. So none of this really applies to me.

When it comes to build quality, maybe you should compare an M3 seat or a 911 seat to a Corvette seat and post back here. Or the same for the dashboard or nav or trim or you name it.
Read the title. Its a "quality" study.
Youre just making excuses for BMW lagging in the middle of the pack.
I love Bimmers but I have had more than my fair share of quality issues.
And to suggest the BMW is so cutting edge that they have more issues is laughable.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #104
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's daily driving it. What's not daily driving is:

a) Track car : Someone having a GT3 in their garage and only taking it out on Saturdays for a track day.
b) Garage queens : Some people will buy these cars and only drive them 500 miles a year spending more time waxing the car than driving it.
So then strictly by that definition how is an M3 better of a daily driver then let's say a Lotus? (I know it is I am just challenging the definition)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #105
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok...handling and comfort I would obviously agree with. Space, like I said, I take a laptop and my lunch for my daily driving habits so space is no issue to me. Gas mileage, I think everyone agrees the gas mileage on an M3 is pretty horrible. Drawing too much attention, I would park an M3 just as far away from everyone as a Lotus. You would probably avoid more door dings in a lotus anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #106
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am done with this thread. OP awesome car. Have a nice day folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #107
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Panamera Turbo S for 173k seems like a better choice for you then.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #108
alms211
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I drove the M3 enough and to your suprise I also drove the Corvette couple years back (wasn't the Z06 obviously).

To each his own. I don't know why you take this so personally. If you say crap about the M3, do you think I give a shit? I don't. It's not like you'd be insulting my wife or mother. It's just a car, not a matter of honor. So take it easy and relax.

I just don't like huge cars (corvette is twice as long as the 911 almost). I got a sedan M3 because I have one car and I'm a family man. If I were to get a real sports car, 2 doors, 2 seater, I'd get a Porsche.

The reason why I posted here in the first place was to give my 2 cents for DDing a Corvette. OP said he was DDing his M3 and he traded it for a Corvette. That's a whole another story because they are two completely different cars. Corvette in my opinion should be compared with a Porsche not M3. Porsche has far better name and is presitigious than Corvette can ever be. It's engineering at its best.
What would it be obvious that it wasn't a Z06 a couple years back when the Z06 was introduced in 2006. Sorry, I'm calling bullshit here that you ever drove a C6 Vette.

A Corvette is almost twice as long as a Porsche? A Corvette is actually an eighth of an inch shorter. Once again, proof that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Porsche has far better name and prestige First off, I find them to have equal amounts of prestige and name recognition. You finally said something that was correct --- Porsche engineering is simply fantastic.

But the mere fact that you are so concerned about name recognition, prestige and the emblem on the hood just fully substantiates my orginal take on what you are looking for ----- image.

Also, you have a 335 now which is a fantastic car in it's own right for what it is. Then you go on to say (not directly) that performance, speed and perhaps tracking are not as important to you. If those things aren't important, why in the hell are you ordering an M3? I know why, because it has the M badge on it. That's what's most important to you. Sad, but true.

Lastly, I'm not mad bro. I just enjoy handing people like you a dose of reality from time to time.

Last edited by alms211; 05-07-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #109
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
..I just don't like huge cars (corvette is twice as long as the 911 almost). I got a sedan M3 because I have one car and I'm a family man. If I were to get a real sports car, 2 doors, 2 seater, I'd get a Porsche...
It's perfectly fine to not like Vettes, and of course the current M3 may be the best compromise car ever built, by anyone, anywhere, any time...

...but this borders on light psychosis.

The current 911 is an inch longer than the GS Vette, and narrower by 1.4 inches - unless you go for one of the "special" models (Carrera 4, GTS, etc.), in which case it's a tiny bit wider than the Vette (three tenths of an inch).

The Z06 is a tiny bit longer than the 911 (six tenths of an inch), and fully three inches wider than a Carrera 4, etc.

Deep prejudice is just stupid, no matter the topic.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #110
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
What would it be obvious that it wasn't a Z06 a couple years back when the Z06 was introduced in 2006. Sorry, I'm calling bullshit here that you ever drove a C6 Vette.

A Corvette is almost twice as long as a Porsche? A Corvette is actually an eighth of an inch shorter. Once again, proof that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Porsche has far better name and prestige First off, I find them to have equal amounts of prestige and name recognition. You finally said something that was correct --- Porsche engineering is simply fantastic.

But the mere fact that you are so concerned about name recognition, prestige and the emblem on the hood just fully substantiates my orginal take on what you are looking for ----- image.

Also, you have a 335 now which is a fantastic car in it's own right for what it is. Then you go on to say (not directly) that performance, speed and perhaps tracking are not as important to you. If those things are important, why in the hell are you ordering an M3? I know why, because it has the M badge on it. That's what's most important to you. Sad, but true.

Lastly, I'm not mad bro. I just enjoy handing people like you a dose of reality from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
It's perfectly fine to not like Vettes, and of course the current M3 may be the best compromise car ever built, by anyone, anywhere, any time...

...but this borders on light psychosis.

The current 911 is an inch longer than the GS Vette, and narrower by 1.4 inches - unless you go for one of the "special" models (Carrera 4, GTS, etc.), in which case it's a tiny bit wider than the Vette (three tenths of an inch).

The Z06 is a tiny bit longer than the 911 (six tenths of an inch), and fully three inches wider than a Carrera 4, etc.

Deep prejudice is just stupid, no matter the topic.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.

Last edited by ssabripo; 05-07-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread