BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #45
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Greetings,

This is somewhat off the topic, but does involve the use of higher octane fuels. So, many years ago when I was a starving college student I worked at an airport in Marin County, CA. - I drove around all day with a huge tanker truck and provided fill-ups to planes arriving or departing from the airport, plus the FBO (fixed base operation) had a flight school so I was always filling planes with gas for those planes as well,it was a great job, so much fun - got paid hardly anything, but the perks were good. On my days off I got to fly with pilots on 'check-runs'. We would load up huge bags of checks that had been processed and needed to be returned to the banks (they did this before technology made this process obsolete) - and, and....I got to fill my 1976 VW Rabbit with 100 octane LL (low-lead) Avgas. I had to pay for it and back then circa 1985 it was about $2+ for 100 LL Avgas. Keep in mind my Rabbit had an old-school carburetor engine - in 1977 the VW Rabbits went to FI. Well, the little bugger wasn't faster per se, but it ran super smooth and was more 'peppy'-

Interesting sidebar - on some weekends there was a guy that would bring his offshore cigarette racing boat and fill it with the Avgas 100 LL. He have to call ahead and be certain we had enough gas on hand to fill the boat - I think it took something like 400+ gallons. My manger would get pissed because although he purchased a lot of gas, if he came out early on a Saturday he could potentially buy all the gas allotted for the weekend and we would not get the re-fill tanker from the fuel distributor until Monday AM.

Here in Oregon - the best I can do is 92 or 91 at Chevron - although I am intrigued if perhaps Shell has the 93 Super V err, whatever it was called around here in Porkland (deliberate spelling, people are so fat here - I grew up in SoCal) - sorry, that's not very nice to say, but it seems like people here don't know how to eat properly or know about exercise

Cheers,
Merlin
Appreciate the story! After more than 600 hours of logged flight time (single engine land + instrument), I'm no longer flying, but have many hours of enjoyment from those days of the $100 hamburger.

I live in Beaverton, and found at least one station with ethanol free 92 octane gas at Dave's Palisades in West Linn (503-636-7935, 1680 Southshore Blvd). If that isn't convenient for you, check here.
      03-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #46
RezTTU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral White E92 ZCP

So after replacing the Idle Control Valve AND keeping my car for almost 1 month, I had hoped the problem had been resolved. After my much anticipated fill-up today, I had the same erratic idle issue occur once again.

I drove the car home from the gas station and I was just sitting in my driveway watching the car in idle, and it randomly starting struggling and turned off. This happened two more times while in my driveway, each time happening about 2 minutes after start up. The car struggles idles at 500 rpm, then randomly spikes to 1k then to 250 a couple times then shuts off, it doesn't kick a code or anything. One thing I did notice was that immediately after the car shuts off it makes a double click noise. Anyone have any clues? I have this recorded as well, I might post it up here.

I am beyond frustrated at this point, I would love to just let off some steam at my dealership. When I picked up the car I told them it may not fix the problem and that it may be fuel pump related. They said that they did not recognize some hosing/wiring inside my car which may be the cause of the issue, complete COP OUT in my opinion. My car had a IPE Valvtronic exhaust on it from the previous owner I had taken off before I purchased it, so I am guessing it's just the leftover module/wiring, which in no way would be causing this issue. I am at a loss for what I should do currently, any advice would be much appreciated.

I figured I am going to finish this tank of gas and take the car to the dealership, and take a foreman with me and then go fill-up my next tank, to hopefully reproduce the issue in front of them, instead of showing them countless videos. Idle-stalling THREE times within the span of 1 hour is definitely not normal. Should I reach out to BMW of NA about this matter?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #47
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
^You should reach out to BMW NA if your dealership is unable to help you fix it.

I just dropped my car at the dealership, they said they will be opening a PUMA case.

In the meantime they will be looking at the fuel system, purge valve, make sure everything there is suppose to be running perfect. I showed them gpitts's work sheets to give them an idea since they don't know what to look for.

One thing in common, we all have no fault codes according to my foreman.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #48
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DreamTTU View Post
So after replacing the Idle Control Valve AND keeping my car for almost 1 month, I had hoped the problem had been resolved. After my much anticipated fill-up today, I had the same erratic idle issue occur once again.

I drove the car home from the gas station and I was just sitting in my driveway watching the car in idle, and it randomly starting struggling and turned off. This happened two more times while in my driveway, each time happening about 2 minutes after start up. The car struggles idles at 500 rpm, then randomly spikes to 1k then to 250 a couple times then shuts off, it doesn't kick a code or anything. One thing I did notice was that immediately after the car shuts off it makes a double click noise. Anyone have any clues? I have this recorded as well, I might post it up here.

I am beyond frustrated at this point, I would love to just let off some steam at my dealership. When I picked up the car I told them it may not fix the problem and that it may be fuel pump related. They said that they did not recognize some hosing/wiring inside my car which may be the cause of the issue, complete COP OUT in my opinion. My car had a IPE Valvtronic exhaust on it from the previous owner I had taken off before I purchased it, so I am guessing it's just the leftover module/wiring, which in no way would be causing this issue. I am at a loss for what I should do currently, any advice would be much appreciated.

I figured I am going to finish this tank of gas and take the car to the dealership, and take a foreman with me and then go fill-up my next tank, to hopefully reproduce the issue in front of them, instead of showing them countless videos. Idle-stalling THREE times within the span of 1 hour is definitely not normal. Should I reach out to BMW of NA about this matter?
Take a look at my post from March 14. In that post, I included snippets from the repair tickets showing what they replaced on each visit. It is hard to say that your situation is *exactly* the same as mine, but I can say that the symptoms you described are *exactly* the same as mine. You might want to right-click on those repair ticket snippets in the post and print them for your service visit. If you need the full PDFs of the service tickets, PM me and I'll send them to you. I believe the VANOS issue I had to be unrelated to the erratic idle issue. When I picked up the car on March 7 I did not see any idle issues, but the "increased emissions" indication came on. That was addressed in the very final repair ticket (faulty VANOS solenoid) in the March 14 post, but again I believe it is unrelated to the idle issue.

I've had my car back for over a week now (that's two fill-ups for me) and I've had no issues.

Best of luck to you! These cars are a lot of fun to drive, but they're complex machines and occasionally get sick like we do.

Last edited by gpitts; 03-21-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #49
RezTTU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral White E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Take a look at my post from March 14. In that post, I included snippets from the repair tickets showing what they replaced on each visit. It is hard to say that your situation is *exactly* the same as mine, but I can say that the symptoms you described are *exactly* the same as mine. You might want to right-click on those repair ticket snippets in the post and print them for your service visit. If you need the full PDFs of the service tickets, PM me and I'll send them to you. I believe the VANOS issue I had to be unrelated to the erratic idle issue. When I picked up the car on March 7 I did not see any idle issues, but the "increased emissions" indication came on. That was addressed in the very final repair ticket (faulty VANOS solenoid) in the March 14 post, but again I believe it is unrelated to the idle issue.

I've had my car back for over a week now (that's two fill-ups for me) and I've had no issues.

Best of luck to you! These cars are a lot of fun to drive, but they're complex machines and occasionally get sick like we do.
Thanks so much for the updates and uploading the work you had done. Definitely helpful, I am going to print these out and take them with me later today. I sent you a PM too
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #50
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Maybe it's a coincidence but I've been running Chevron's Techron fuel system/fuel injector cleaner for the last 2 weeks and today I got the car updated to 240E and the erratic idle after fill-ups is gone.
Funny. I updated to 240E after I posted in this thread and I haven't had a single idle stumble. Nary a one.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #51
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DreamTTU View Post
Thanks so much for the updates and uploading the work you had done. Definitely helpful, I am going to print these out and take them with me later today. I sent you a PM too
Just replied to you via PM and e-mail. Hope the info helps!
      03-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #52
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
Funny. I updated to 240E after I posted in this thread and I haven't had a single idle stumble. Nary a one.
Great news! Glad to hear that your issue appears to be resolved.

When I first took my car in, the dealer could not find any issues and updated my firmware. I then experienced the same issue twice afterwards, and they ultimately resolved the issue. But the fact that they updated your firmware to a new revision, and they updated my firmware to a new revision in an attempt to address my issue makes me a little suspicious that there is an known idle / ignition related issue floating around out there that this firmware addresses...
      03-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #53
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Great news! Glad to hear that your issue appears to be resolved.

When I first took my car in, the dealer could not find any issues and updated my firmware. I then experienced the same issue twice afterwards, and they ultimately resolved the issue. But the fact that they updated your firmware to a new revision, and they updated my firmware to a new revision in an attempt to address my issue makes me a little suspicious that there is an known idle / ignition related issue floating around out there that this firmware addresses...
Glad I could help. Keep an eye on your coilpacks.

I also had a contributing factor to my pre-update problems. I think the stall I experienced was due to an coilpack getting ready to fail (which it did 2 weeks later). Between having that replaced and the 240E update, this issue is resolved (for me).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #54
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Like gpitts, I am already on 240E so that is not the issue for me either. Will take the print outs to my dealer as they may provide some insight for the service dept.

gpitts, any chance you can send me the PDF files? Thanks in advance!

Ken
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #55
JHFW89225
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Just curious, how many of you here have aftermarket ECU? I have the Dinan ECU flash and my dealer wants to go back to stock since they could not find any fault code. I doubt they can find fault code even on the stock ECU.

Anybody have any idea whether the ECU can make a difference to diagnosis? I also have a Akrapovic Delete-R as well.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #56
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Like gpitts, I am already on 240E so that is not the issue for me either. Will take the print outs to my dealer as they may provide some insight for the service dept.

gpitts, any chance you can send me the PDF files? Thanks in advance!

Ken
Happy to do so Ken - can you PM your e-mail address to me?

Last edited by gpitts; 03-22-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #57
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

gpitts, will do!

As for the aftermarket, ECU, nothing here. My car is stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #58
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
gpitts, will do!

As for the aftermarket, ECU, nothing here. My car is stock.
Just sent it your way, Ken. Hope it helps!

Gene
      03-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #59
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just sent it your way, Ken. Hope it helps!

Gene
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #60
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

never happened during the 2 years that I had the car in NYC (93 octane). now happens intermittently in LA - bad batches of 91 octane seem to be the culprit.

of course, I could be wrong. Just my informal observation.

Note: new plugs / 240E did not fix the issue. also, seems more likely to occur if I fill all the way.
      03-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #61
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I to thought it was bad gas. My car is 3 1/2 years old, didn't start until around 6 months ago. Unlike I did not move and have been patronizing the same Shell station for years, which carries 93 octane so octane is not the issue. I've tried various different Shell and Chevron stations an it happens no matter where I fill up so my less than scientific deduction is that gas is not the issue.

I am already on 240 and had the plugs replaced at 28.5k, car now at 35.5k...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #62
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
never happened during the 2 years that I had the car in NYC (93 octane). now happens intermittently in LA - bad batches of 91 octane seem to be the culprit.

of course, I could be wrong. Just my informal observation.

Note: new plugs / 240E did not fix the issue. also, seems more likely to occur if I fill all the way.
After the replacement of the components I posted in page two of this thread, my car has performed flawlessly. Prior to the repair, I could count on two out of three fill-ups exhibiting the symptoms that I described would occur. Now the car runs great and is back to her old self!
      03-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #63
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
After the replacement of the components I posted in page two of this thread, my car has performed flawlessly. Prior to the repair, I could count on two out of three fill-ups exhibiting the symptoms that I described would occur. Now the car runs great and is back to her old self!
a little hard to discern what is what from the post . . .

what did you have replaced?

My car is out of warranty.
      03-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #64
JHFW89225
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
a little hard to discern what is what from the post . . .

what did you have replaced?

My car is out of warranty too, I am putting the car back to stock exhaust + stock ECU before my dealer will agree to work on it. I hope they will see fault codes when I'm back to stock or else it will be for naught.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #65
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, that's unfortunate! The (non-VANOS related) components that were last replaced were the fuel pump repair kit (16-11-2-283-497) and the fuel tank breather (13-90-7-838-281). The other parts they replaced didn't seem to matter, as the next fill-up or two I'd experience the idle issue again. I can't say that this will address the issue with your car, but our symptoms do seem to be the same. I can only share my experience and hope that it helps you and others having this same issue.
      03-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #66
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Ugh, that's unfortunate! The (non-VANOS related) components that were last replaced were the fuel pump repair kit (16-11-2-283-497) and the fuel tank breather (13-90-7-838-281). The other parts they replaced didn't seem to matter, as the next fill-up or two I'd experience the idle issue again. I can't say that this will address the issue with your car, but our symptoms do seem to be the same. I can only share my experience and hope that it helps you and others having this same issue.
Thanks for the info. Do you have an estimate of how much this would cost to replace?

So who else is going to try to get this replaced to verify the fix?
Appreciate 0