BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

New track/summer wheels

I have had my name on a list at TC Kline for the Volk TE 37s for several months. They finally arrived three track days into my inexpensive temporary wheels. These are 18X9.5 with et of 28. I have a 12 mm spacer in the rear. I am running Kumho Ecsta XS tires in 275/35. There is ample space next to the strut in front which was my only fitment concern.

I like my VMR 710 which are also 9.5" wheels. They have an et of 22. The problem is they are cast and somewhat heavy. Long term I think the Volks are a better track option.

Center caps have not arrived yet. I may put a bigger spacer on the rear.
Attached Images

07-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

very nice

Lightweight, strong, and easier to clean.

Volk wheels are a solid choice for square track setup.
      07-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

18's look really good on e92's. you notice any acceleration difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
Nice track setup. Very good choice on the wheels.
      08-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Glad to hear you are finely united with your Volks!
      08-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I thought the car looked great in person with the Rays and the photos do it justice. Nice job. I am jealous. Great photos too. You need to take photos of my car once it's dropped. You do a better job than I do with a camera.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
I thought the car looked great in person with the Rays and the photos do it justice. Nice job. I am jealous. Great photos too. You need to take photos of my car once it's dropped. You do a better job than I do with a camera.
We can detail it first. Did Karthic's car today and it looks awesome! Thanks for the positive comments.
      08-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Im curious... How does the car behaves with a square track setup?

Im looking into buying track rims in 18 inch size myself but wasnt planning on a square setup.

In its stock setup the car understeers. Im really curious how the square behaves.

Ive ordered re-11's (putting them on wednesday this week) and would love to settle my track rims before these new tires wear out. I have a track day scheduled on friday.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Im curious... How does the car behaves with a square track setup?

Im looking into buying track rims in 18 inch size myself but wasnt planning on a square setup.

In its stock setup the car understeers. Im really curious how the square behaves.

Ive ordered re-11's (putting them on wednesday this week) and would love to settle my track rims before these new tires wear out. I have a track day scheduled on friday.
Well the understeer can be virtually neutralized if you buy four wheels with exactly the same offset and tire sizes. That's one of the huge perks to buying a square track wheel setup.

Many track guys don't just do this to neutralize the natural understeer of the car, but to also get their money's worth out of the expensive r-compound track duty tires they buy.

A square setup (where all 4 wheels are interchangeable), allows you to rotate the tires around to get even treadwear across the board.

Your tires will last longer this way, and it will save you money in the long run.

This will effectively lower the overall costs involved in racing your car.

That's why this approach is so popular with the occasional weekend track day enthusiasts.
      08-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Well the understeer can be virtually neutralized if you buy four wheels with exactly the same offset and tire sizes. That's one of the huge perks to buying a square track wheel setup.

Many track guys don't just do this to neutralize the natural understeer of the car, but to also get their money's worth out of the expensive r-compound track duty tires they buy.

A square setup (where all 4 wheels are interchangeable), allows you to rotate the tires around to get even treadwear across the board.

Your tires will last longer this way, and it will save you money in the long run.

That's why this approach is so popular with the occasional weekend track day enthusiasts.
I'm very happy with this setup. With the stock wheels and tires it really understeers. The front end grip is really good now, and I do not notice any more of a tendency to oversteer.
      08-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Sick track setup!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

congrats! Loving the new set up!
      08-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Carl, beautiful car and great setup - those wheels are amazing! Thanks for the detailing tips this weekend. Let's all get together again soon!

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:

Thank you for the info

I was scared they would cause too much oversteer but see that they don't.

Whats the weight of these Rims? I was looking into the light Forgestar rims as my track setup.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:

I'm not trying to contradict you just being ign'ant but I would have thought PS2's and many/most performance tires would be uni-directional, ie. cant rotate, just change front to rear. Am I out of date in modern tire technology?

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
I'm not trying to contradict you just being ign'ant but I would have thought PS2's and many/most performance tires would be uni-directional, ie. cant rotate, just change front to rear. Am I out of date in modern tire technology?
PS2 are asymmetrical, meaning the outter geometry is different than in the inner geometry (with respect to the tire mid-plane). There is not direction of rotation indicated on the tire, just where the outside should be. So if you have a square setup, it doesn't matter where you initially put the wheels on the car.

However, once the tires start to wear, it is recommended to keep the same set of tires on the same axle for even wear and balance.

Directional tires (Dunlop Direzza Star Spec for instance) have a symmetrical pattern with respect to the mid-plane of the tire and are intended to roll at speed in one direction. Therefore, once mounted on a wheel, they can only be put on one side of the car.
Same thing as before, it is always recommended to keep a set of tires on the same axle.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0