BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #45
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice write up. How was the weather ? I think it is a concern for some with regards to a February date. Did any of the driving generate motion sickness? When I did my M pick up back in September driving the short course really got to me. Sort of afraid to do the M course now. If I ever do will likely go with a scopolamine patch
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #46
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed reading through the experience. Now I need to find the time to go....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #47
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Wow I'm jealouse man, sounds like you had an amazing time.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #48
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

You lucky sonofa...

I'll bet you got out of the car with shaking hands and profuse sweating every time, right?

This is the only experience that can beat a Performance Center Delivery. Thanks for an awesome write up.
      02-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #49
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Question about the Advanced M School. Does completing the 2 day course automatically qualify you for the Advanced school or do you have to perform at a certain level? If so, do they tell you if you can sign up for the advanced school?
The only criteria for Advanced M School is to do the 1 or 2 Day M school. There is no level of performance necessary.

The website also says that they might accept a similar, equivalent high performance driving school.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/MSchool.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo
is that you being videotaped the whole time?
I'm being video taped towards the end, with the split screen. Most of the time I was filming other students, the instructors, and the ride along learning sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronghammer
Nice write up. How was the weather ? I think it is a concern for some with regards to a February date. Did any of the driving generate motion sickness? When I did my M pick up back in September driving the short course really got to me. Sort of afraid to do the M course now. If I ever do will likely go with a scopolamine patch
The weather actually worked out. Yes, it is a crap shoot though and you take your chances. There was scattered rain on Friday, but it cleared up quickly. Saturday was perfect sunny weather.

They do this course rain or shine. Driving on a wet track really makes you focus and as the instructors say, "a wet track is the great equalizer".

They'll only shut this course down if there is snow - which is a rare occurrence in that part of S. Carolina.

In regards to motion sickness, I didn't get any. Though the instructors have said it has occurred in the past. There was one older gentlemen, from sitting in the back seat who got a bit dizzy after a demonstration session. So if you can help it, just sit in the front passenger seat during demonstration sessions with the instructors.

If you are prone to motion sickness, just bring a patch or some motion sickness meds. Don't allow it to preclude you from this course - rise above it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88
This may be a stupid question, but in the pics with the 1Ms. It looks like the car in front of you is grey. Do my eyes deceive me. Thanks.
Yes it is a 135i. The 1 Ms are a manual transmission. So they have 135i available for those that can't drive stick. The particular gentlemen had a medical issue that precluded him from driving stick so they provided him a 135i.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 02-27-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #50
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Can you give us more details on the camera setup and USB software? Does this tie into the onboard computer or is this an after market solution? (I hope the pictures don't answer these questions, none of them showed up with BimmerPost iPhone app. Will be going back through this thread on my computer later)

Thanks for the great write up! I felt like I was there!
      02-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #51
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

looks like a blast, i see this trip in my future!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Fantastic write up. I had such a blast last june there. Never got around to posting a review and videos. Unlike you, I was too busy competing to be in the top 3 with some other awesome drivers. The 1M was just released so we were using the M6s.

As for those that were concerned about weather... I rained an entire day I was there, nice the other day. It's a little annoying, but actually a fantastic driving experience. What greater confidence in your driving do you get being able to handle these 500HP behemoths in the pouring rain?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #53
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Awesome write up, looks like they dont skimp on how they treat you for this. Wish I could afford to go.

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #54
Dgarcia41982
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan

Well my minds made up. As soon as funds become available I'll be signing up. Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #55
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Sounds brilliant.
I went on a few Porsche UK organised driving days - but they were £100 - bring your own car - 1 day at Donnington with a cheap lunch. And a bottle of Champagne for the winner! (Modesty restrains me from saying who that was!)

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 02-27-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #56
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

That caesar salad looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #57
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Can you give us more details on the camera setup and USB software? Does this tie into the onboard computer or is this an after market solution? (I hope the pictures don't answer these questions, none of them showed up with BimmerPost iPhone app. Will be going back through this thread on my computer later)

Thanks for the great write up! I felt like I was there!
Certainly.

I think this USB thing is something new that the School is doing. They basically have two cameras mounted in the car, both are tied into the car computer.

The first camera is pointed out in front of the car, while the second is pointed at you, the driver. The USB port is velcro'd on the center console, by the gear lever.

Basically, all you have to do is plug it in - and the camera is started once the car is traveling. For a prolonged stop, the camera stops recording to save space. Pretty ingenious.

That camera basically records you for the entire session you are driving, and is tied into the car computer to time how fast you are traveling, what lap you are on, and when to shut the camera on/off. It is pretty basic.

Once you are done with your session, you need to wait 45 seconds before unplugging the USB in order to allow the footage to properly download, etc.

The USB stick comes with software pre-loaded. That way once you plug it into you computer, a menu will pop up and you can view your track sessions. Then, you can export the video by selecting how much of the film you want exported and make it into a windows media file.

**Apple/Mac users they are still working on compatibility

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 02-27-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #58
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Kickass! I was in S-burg last month for PCD and can't wait to go back for M School. The two day program definitely seems to be the way to go. Thanks for sharing!

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #59
chrisKizi
Rep
Drives: BMW 318ti

too cool
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #60
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Certainly.

I think this USB thing is something new that the School is doing. They basically have two cameras mounted in the car, both are tied into the car computer.

The first camera is pointed out in front of the car, while the second is pointed at you, the driver. The USB port is velcro'd on the center console, by the gear lever.

Basically, all you have to do is plug it in - and the camera is started once the car is traveling. For a prolonged stop, the camera stops recording to save space. Pretty ingenious.

That camera basically records you for the entire session you are driving, and is tied into the car computer to time how fast you are traveling, what lap you are on, and when to shut the camera on/off. It is pretty basic.

Once you are done with your session, you need to wait 45 seconds before unplugging the USB in order to allow the footage to properly download, etc.

The USB stick comes with software pre-loaded. That way once you plug it into you computer, a menu will pop up and you can view your track sessions. Then, you can export the video by selecting how much of the film you want exported and make it into a windows media file.

**Apple/Mac users they are still working on compatibility

That sounds really cool!

Did you happen to get the name of the equipment manufacturer? Or a model? I would love to look into this for track days.

Are you going to post up some footage? =)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #61
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
That sounds really cool!

Did you happen to get the name of the equipment manufacturer? Or a model? I would love to look into this for track days.

Are you going to post up some footage? =)
some footage is already uploaded with the youtube video I posted. It is in the second half of the video. If you are unable to view it b/c you are using a mobile device such as an iphone to view it, I do not know why this particular youtube video is not allowing viewing on mobile (iphone, etc) devices. You'll have to watch it on a standard computer.

The software is Race Keeper Instant Video Software. I'll have to access the thumbdrive again to see If i can find a website link. I think they have a partnership with BMW so it might only be exclusively through BMW. I'll try and find out and update this post.

EDIT

here is the website:

http://www.race-keeper.com/

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 02-27-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #62
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Awesome write up man!

I'm going in April and can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #63
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

awesome video, awesome write-up! thanks for sharing

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #64
Eric@NRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

awesome write up! def want to do this now. just wondering though, the 1 day M school would that be the same as your first day you think? or maybe everything but just condensed
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #65
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCE46 View Post
awesome write up! def want to do this now. just wondering though, the 1 day M school would that be the same as your first day you think? or maybe everything but just condensed
I don't really know, but based off the bmwusa.com website, I would guess it is a more condensed version with skill learning in the morning, then application and longer sessions in the afternoon.

The website says slalom, autocross, and skid pads
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #66
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins333 View Post
Wow, thanks for the incredible review! I definitely want to do this soon.
yeah, me 2. All of us should do it at the same time. Maybe we can all drive one. Road trip plus M school. :-)
Appreciate 0