BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Time to work on Suspension and brakes. Help.

Posted this in the correct section but got little help so here goes:

I have a '13 e92 with the Comp Pack. It's my daily driver as well so I don't want to compromise ride or the dynamics of the car. This car right now is 100% DD but that will change to around 80% DD and 20% track.

1. I've ordered the Dinan Front Strut Bars, will I notice better turn in and crisper handling when taking it down a twisty backroad? At the track?

2. I'm on stock suspension and want to widen the stance a tad and give it that menacing look. What's the best spacer size to go with front and rear to give it a nice mean look without messing up the dynamics of the car? I was thinking 12mm front and rear. I will be adding the Brembo 280MM brake kit sometime soon.

3. Can someone suggest a set-up that will lower my car(remember I'm stock with ZCP) but won't compromise ride? I don't want it to be too low so I scrape but I would like to fill in the wheel gap a little without compromising the dynamics of the car. I was thinking either Dinan Stage I or II but people get better results from mixing and matching. Thanks!

Any insight is appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBy///M View Post
Posted this in the correct section but got little help so here goes:

I have a '13 e92 with the Comp Pack. It's my daily driver as well so I don't want to compromise ride or the dynamics of the car. This car right now is 100% DD but that will change to around 80% DD and 20% track.

1. I've ordered the Dinan Front Strut Bars, will I notice better turn in and crisper handling when taking it down a twisty backroad? At the track?

2. I'm on stock suspension and want to widen the stance a tad and give it that menacing look. What's the best spacer size to go with front and rear to give it a nice mean look without messing up the dynamics of the car? I was thinking 12mm front and rear. I will be adding the Brembo 280MM brake kit sometime soon.

3. Can someone suggest a set-up that will lower my car(remember I'm stock with ZCP) but won't compromise ride? I don't want it to be too low so I scrape but I would like to fill in the wheel gap a little without compromising the dynamics of the car. I was thinking either Dinan Stage I or II but people get better results from mixing and matching. Thanks!

Any insight is appreciated!
1. you wont notice anything.
2. 15-12 or 12-12 would probably work.
3. maybe a sleeve over kit it you want it to ride like stock but be lower.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
1. you wont notice anything.
2. 15-12 or 12-12 would probably work.
3. maybe a sleeve over kit it you want it to ride like stock but be lower.
Shouldn't have any problems going to the track later with any of the changes? Would you suggest 15-12 or 12-12 for the spacers? K&W Sport Springs? The Dinan Stage I kit is essentially just that, right?
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i ran 15-12 on the spacers but i wasnt zcp so you may need less. check with EAS or one of the other vendors just to be sure, since your wheels are little wider maybe a 12-10 is better for you. should be fine for the track although i dont like having spacers on track car if i can help it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Do not lower the car if you don't want worse ride quality and handling.

The only thing that will handle better than stock and maintain a good ride is something like Ohlins rt or a properly setup jrz coilover. Both of which cost over 3000

Best mod for handling is oem zcp suspension and camber plates with good tires. Stick with oem suspension and plates. There are tons of reviews on the sleeve kit and aftermarket springs proving that the setup is worse than stock.

Anything lower than zcp/dinan (basically same drop) is asking for trouble when used with oem or lower quality shocks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Sounds like I'll stick with the Dinan set up.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Handling will get better once driver experience/skills get better.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Throwing random parts at it probably will worsen your handling. Throwing a dinan front strut or sways for example can upset the handling if not done with other proper suspension mods. Spacers don't do anything for handling and puts more stress on the hubs if tracking which is not a good idea. What are you looking for when you say "better" handling? I promise you that you are not to the point where the stock suspension is limiting your progress or track times.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

You mean 380 not 280 on the brake kit correct? Yes, Brembo would be a solid choice.

Be careful on your requirements as stated for the suspension. You are mixing looks with handling requirements. Not that they both can't be satisfied for you but be sure what your goals are when you speak with a vendor.

Not sure exactly how much the Dinan stage 1 would drop over your ZCP, likely not much and easily searchable here. If you want to keep your EDC dampers and have the ability to corner balance this would be quite good:
http://www.dinancars.com/products/M-...ly.aspx#page=2

or this if you want to ditch the EDC dampers:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/automotive-...1/BMW+3-series
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Keep it all stock man. ZCP is a tremendous handling car. Front strut bar....I don't know what an aftermarket one looks like. I thought there was something already bolted down on top of the front struts. Is there even room for a typical strut bar across the giant plenum?

I think if you need an upgrade that will actually help handling, and not ruin ride quality or driveability. I think solid tube sway bars might do that. It will help plant your inner wheels better to transfer power and grip. Your ride height won't change and your suspension stiffness won't change.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

1) No you won't
2) I had 12-12. The fronts with ZCP's could probably handle 15, but I don't know how low you are planning to go
3) I'm going with Swift Spec-R springs. Heard very good reviews about it, and the drop is not too low but rides like OEM
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
1) No you won't
2) I had 12-12. The fronts with ZCP's could probably handle 15, but I don't know how low you are planning to go
3) I'm going with Swift Spec-R springs. Heard very good reviews about it, and the drop is not too low but rides like OEM
I am running 12-17.5 spacers on zcp lowered on eibach and it does not rub. Stock pss sizes.