BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Turn off the "surround sound" option, it is awful, and look for some equalizer settings online.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #24
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Im a stereo expert, and i have the Enhanced sound in my M and that system thumps and the clarity is excellent. im not sure what your talking about.
Just curious why you consider yourself an expert, and if so, what is your qualification for "excellent" sound? Have you measured broad spectrum SPLs?

I'm expecting significant improvement from my stock 08 328
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #25
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
BTW does anyone know who manufactures the amp's and speakers for the EPS?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #26
Schnooper
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
BTW does anyone know who manufactures the amp's and speakers for the EPS?
I think it's made by Lear audio IIRC
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #27
Schnooper
Private
Australia
Rep

I am picking my M3 on Friday, and I have optioned the BMW individual high end audio (16 speaker, 9 channel amp, 825W). I think it's the same system as the EPS. I actually haven't heard this system, and the sales guy said that he hasn't sold this system before.

I have listened to the harmon/kardon system (13 speaker, 420W amp) in the demo car, and it was quite good. I think it's also known as the L7 system.

And I am expecting the system I have ordered to suitably better than the harmon/kardon ( especially considering the cost). I will report back once I have had a play. I consider myself to be an audiophile.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #28
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Your car at the track

You have to have problems with the sytem. Unless they changed it for 2011 mine is amazing. Not quite as good as the system in the cgt but damn close, just a hair soft on base and sound insolation of the cabin
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #29
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooper View Post
I am picking my M3 on Friday, and I have optioned the BMW individual high end audio (16 speaker, 9 channel amp, 825W). I think it's the same system as the EPS. I actually haven't heard this system, and the sales guy said that he hasn't sold this system before.

I have listened to the harmon/kardon system (13 speaker, 420W amp) in the demo car, and it was quite good. I think it's also known as the L7 system.

And I am expecting the system I have ordered to suitably better than the harmon/kardon ( especially considering the cost). I will report back once I have had a play. I consider myself to be an audiophile.
Then I expect a concise report on the dynamics of the bass, tone of the mid range, and clarity of the high end; soundstage, dynamic range and frequency response assessment much appreciated.

I suggest Tron soundtrack as a decent starting point.
Track C.L.U. should test clarity in all frequencies pretty well.

Acoustic instruments, techno, pop, etc. I'll have to wait til late July to test mine, so I have plenty of time to make a great test mix.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There is no need to upgrade the mids/tweeters in the EPS, and BSW never completed the EPS application anyways. The problem are the OEM amp woofer outputs.
Isn't it a pain to add an amp with the EPS system?
I'm pretty sure the HiFi is pretty easy to add an amp too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Here's what I used:

-Technic harness adapter
-Technic power cable with OEM connector
-Technic ground wire
-JL XD600/6
-(2) Earthquake SWS-8Xi (2 ohm)
Is this HiFi or EPS?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #31
Schnooper
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
Then I expect a concise report on the dynamics of the bass, tone of the mid range, and clarity of the high end; soundstage, dynamic range and frequency response assessment much appreciated.

I suggest Tron soundtrack as a decent starting point.
Track C.L.U. should test clarity in all frequencies pretty well.

Acoustic instruments, techno, pop, etc. I'll have to wait til late July to test mine, so I have plenty of time to make a great test mix.
Ok, as a quick run down. My initial impression wasnt that good. The first 10 or so hours, I was quite concerned with the lack of detail and SQ. I did some playing and research and found this thread;

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428114

I have to admit that these did make the world of difference, and along with the additional run in time the system is getting better and better. I have decreased the treble by one and increased the bass by one also from those listed in that thread.

The system is still changing, and I have to admit that I have spent alot of the driving time listening to the exhaust and not the EPS, but hey thats what love about the M3 V8.

I think that the system is very good. Its not going to blow your hair off and make you ears bleed, but its certainly loud enough for most I would think. There is more than enough bass. The mid and highs are very clean and clear. I reckon that the sound stage is a fraction low for my liking. It really shows the difference between good and badly mixed music, which is a sign of a good system. Good music sounds great, bad music not so much.

Once I get some more time I will report with some more details.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #32
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
That's what I originally heard ok well thank you ill def try that first and see. By a big difference you mean? Better clarity? More bass? I'm decent with my hands just worried on hooking the amp up I have 0 skills in replacing an amp. Is there another way of contacting technic? I pmed him a few days ago no response.
Sorry, been off the forums for a while (ok, a long while)...

Hopefully Technic has responded to your PM by now.

I've never heard the L7 speakers, just read about them (probably in here somewhere).

With Technic's harness, install is really easy. Some minor fab/mod skills (you have to mount the new amp to the car somehow -- some mod the stock holder, others fab their own).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #33
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
I have the EPS option and absolutely love it. Have you tried meeting up with another M owner with EPS to do a comparison test? It may help determine if there is an issue with your system.

Wish you the best of luck. It's very frustrating to pay for something only to have it fail to meet your expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
bsw does have upgraded speakers for the eps system-

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...Series-M3-E90/

i did the speaker upgrade to my base audio and am very pleased.the speakers are of high quality,the sound is much crisper and less muddy.this is a good way to go if you want to stay as oem as you can,and not run new wires.install is easy.it's not as good as an all new system,but is a lot better than stock,and very convenient,being designed for the car.
How do you like the BSW woofer upgrade? I am pissed that my 328i had better bass than EPS. Tweeters and mid are crisp, but too harsh sounding.
On my 328 I was happy with the powerful bass with good bandwidth I didn't need a woofer, EPS bass seems to disappear into thin air when driving.
Appreciate 0