BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
chris2712
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar edition

newbie question around audio upgrades

Hi, just joined the forum as there seems to be a lot more technical knowledge on here.

So my situation is this, I'm looking at upgrading the audio in my e92 m3, it has just the base system that comes with the
them.

So far I was thinking the alpine upgrade, then found the MB Quart system and now just found the audio system kit, then browsing this forum I found mention to technic cables for audio upgrades, I'm not overly sure on what this is for, everything is much different to my old days of just chucking a head unit in, amps and components.

So the alpine comes with an amp and the wiring, the MB Quart comes with the subs but no amp and no wiring, the audio system seems a bargain and is the same as the MB.

Alpine I know will fit the e92, the other two I'm not 100% on due to speaker depth.

Also this technic cable, can.anyone shed some light, I know the stereo will need to be coded to hifi for any of the options.

Hello again and help
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
rumelk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, E93 M3

Hi, I was on the same boat as you a few years ago when I was doing my upgrade.

MB Quart do a 3 way system, (tweeter, mids, and sub) all as a package and is suppose to be a descent system if you have hifi audio not base audio (hifi has amp in the boot) that is, otherwise you will require an amp of some sort to get the full power of the MB Quarts.

I would recommend installing an amp and wiring the upgraded speakers accordingly. With regards to wiring, the Technics harness basically simplifies everything and avoids you splicing the cars OEM cables. However I would recommend a audio processor, like an Audison Bit One, to control all the individual speaker gains/frequencies etc.

My build: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922126
      05-27-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
chris2712
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar edition

Thanks, found these and are £200 cheaper than the MB Quart, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004...ef=pd_aw_sbs_5 now if I get a harness from technic is this a stereo out job? I don't want to shake the car apart, just looking for a slightly better sound. The speakers from what I can make out aren't sold anymore and now the gladens replace them.

If I replace the speakers initially then add an amp and code the car to hifi am I going to be left with worse sound, was reading up on overloading through different resistance where most aftermarket stuff is 4 ohm and bmw is 2ohm from what I've read
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
rumelk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, E93 M3

I haven't heard these in action so cant give you my take on them. You could just do a straight replacement and see how it sounds, take it from there.

Yes, the technic harness is a headunit out job, but honestly it isn't as bad as some may think.

In my car I replaced all the speakers, added amps etc and then put my audison bit one, and did no coding, but sounds fantastic. I wasnt interested in the coding side of things as I just installed the Bit One which did all the work for me. Would never look back...

I would try with just replacing the speakers intially and see how it sounds. If your planning on running hi-level inputs from the car directly into the amp then I would suggest recoding to hi-fi, however if your're going to put a processor of some sort (bit one or the JBL MS) then I dont think coding is required.

If you're going to replace the underseat woofers, which are 2 ohm without adding an aftermarket amp then yes, you would need to replace the speakers with 2 ohm woofers too.

My advice to you would be: decide what your final set up will be, with regards to amps, speakers, processors etc. Purchase in stages or in one go, and install in one hit, this way you'll notice the difference immediately.