E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crashed my car into a tree log on a curvy road! --- pictures 56K BEWARE

06-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #45
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
that is sad. but good thing is that you're okay.

i guess this answers the question on the other thread "Ok...so how fast can I really take the corners?".

i think the answer is "as fast as you want. (with no guarantee of making it safely)

by the way, did it happen on the same corner that you posted on the other thread? it would be interesting to see another arial photo with maybe some sketches or lines where it happened and how your car actually skid. (just curious)
No, that corner is about 2 1/2 times wider than the one I wrecked on. In fact, here is it. It's the corner on the right side. See how small that is. Funny that this image was taken when a semi was on the road (see left side). Never, in my 50 plus times I've taken that road have I see a semi driving on it. Don't even know how it fit.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #46
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Itīs really hard to guess - any guess will be wrong and it will drive you crazy. So go to a certified bmw shop and let them estimate it. But donīt obsess - relax, go to sleep, and deal with it when itīs daylight.
Thanks for the words. I think I do need some sleep. I've been obsessing over this for the past 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #47
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
Sorry to hear it.

Good thing this wasn't 2008, you'd have been going faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #48
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

well lets put it this way SHIT does happens now learn from it and next time drive carefully you dont know what will happen next. slow down on those corners. i say F*** it call your insurance let them take care of it! tell them you avoid hitting some animal and you end up crashing.... well i learn something from this post so i guess i have to be more careful driving in a 90deg. angle.
      06-16-2006, 12:12 AM   #49
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Some dude hit my parked 330 from behind and caused the front air dam to hit a concrete block...it cracked and need to be replaced/painted...that was $1K alone...if that side skirt needs to be replaced...and it looks like it does to me...that means at least $1K there...plus if anything else needs to be buffed/painted...plus if that rim is cracked at all there is another $300-400...I say $2K easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:16 AM   #50
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by subframe
That sucks, but at least nobody was hurt.

I am curious about the dynamics of the situation (and I hope you don't mind me asking). Was it an understeer situation? Were you braking hard going into the turn? Or, was it oversteer? From your description I am guessing it was understeer. I assume (although I can't prove it) that the DSC is less helpful in an understeer situation -- especially if the driver is on the brakes.
DSC is actually very effective (almost frighteningly so) in understeer situations. I found this out the hard way.

Bit of advice: if you're one of those people who actually knows how to drive, leave DSC off when attempting anything aggressive. Otherwise, it will usually try to fight you and may cause the car to behave unexpectedly.
      06-16-2006, 12:36 AM   #51
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogargoles
well lets put it this way SHIT does happens now learn from it and next time drive carefully you dont know what will happen next. slow down on those corners. i say F*** it call your insurance let them take care of it! tell them you avoid hitting some animal and you end up crashing.... well i learn something from this post so i guess i have to be more careful driving in a 90deg. angle.
I'll see what happens. If it ends up costing more than $1,800 or around there then I'll call my insurance company and see how much my insurance would go up if I filed the claim with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #52
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Some stupid guy made a dent while opening his door on my Lexus RX 330 the other day at Six Flag Marine World. I was really :mad: at him. The dent was really big and I was going to ask him to pay for the damage but he took off right away as soon as he dent my car. By the way my dad just deposit $1,000 for 2007 335i with Sports Package,Stick Shift,Space Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 01:20 AM   #53
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to see your car like this. Hope you get it fixed soon.

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #54
Bimmer325
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

damn it. i felt you..my heart pumping faster now, hope this will never happen to my bimmer. i'll drive even more careful each time.
Take it easy, its just a car anyway. and thank god you are still in one piece.
Life's not that bad afterall, we still have other things to enjoy. GL on the repair, keep us posted
325i Arctics M-Sport, Gray Leather with Alu Trim, ///M DCT Paddleshift, ///M Gear Knob, BBS LM-R 19", Michelin PS2, KW V2, H&R Anti Roll Bars, BMW Performance Air Intake System, 3D Front Lip, ACS Roof Spoiler, OEM Boot Spoiler, Osram 6000K, Brex White Ring, PIAA 6200K HID Fog, PIAA License Plate LED, BMS Powerbox
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #55
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

man that sucks!!! sorry to see that.

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 07:00 AM   #56
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Main thing is your are OK after running off the road. Cars are fixable. Sorry to see the damage to your car but just take it to a BMW dealer with a good body shop. They will put it back together.

I have had to fix many a car between two teenage drivers, so the hurt will go away. Insurance companies always find a reason to raise your premiums (zip codes, claims in your area, moon facing the wrong way at night etc.) so if the damage is a lot, let them fix everything!

Good luck but slow down and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #57
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

dude, that suck. I betcha you will not take that road again for a while. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #58
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Just starting to get rolling on this:

So far I've got a new rear tire on order. But because there is a national backorder on these PS2s my service advisor over at Tires Plus had to get it from a wholesaler he doesn't usual use because the prices are higher. Came to about $30 more, but he can have the tire in on Monday (it's coming from Orlando and I'm just west of Tampa) and my Road Hazard Tire Coverage --- Fidelity Warranty Services --- will be paying for it!

I also sheduled the wheel refinisher to come out on Tuesday and he will fix both wheels good as new for $150 out the door price.

Haven't heard yet regarding the side skirt or door touch-ups though --- and maybe other stuff depending on what the body shop sees. I'll keep you guys posted.

UPDATE: Just got word from Ferman BMW and they told me that it's going to cost $116 for the side-skirt, $200 to paint it, $99 for install and then $10.13 for the plastic jack piece underneath. Not bad considering I thought it could cost $600 or more for that. Comes out to just over $400 installed.

Assuming I don't have any damage I don't know about, this could end up costing me just under $1,300 to get everything all back to its former glory.

Last edited by bmwexecutive; 06-16-2006 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #59
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Hey bmwexecutive, make sure you get the tire put on before you send the rim to get it fix. If you fix the rim first, and you put the tire on later, there is a good chance someone is going to scratch the rim (unless you know the person who will install your tire). So if there is some sort of delay where the tire does not come in before tuesday, don't fix your rim. just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #60
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
Hey bmwexecutive, make sure you get the tire put on before you send the rim to get it fix. If you fix the rim first, and you put the tire on later, there is a good chance someone is going to scratch the rim (unless you know the person who will install your tire). So if there is some sort of delay where the tire does not come in before tuesday, don't fix your rim. just a thought.
Yeah, already thought about that considering I had my rims scratched up (albeit very minorly) when I got the PS2s installed. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #61
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
I just wanted to say I am glad nothing happened to you, it could have been a lot worse. I hope you can get everything with the car fixed for a reasonable price. Take care man.

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #62
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel007
I just wanted to say I am glad nothing happened to you, it could have been a lot worse. I hope you can get everything with the car fixed for a reasonable price. Take care man.
Thanks, man! I agree it could have been much worse. As of now it looks like I've got about $1,300 worth of damage and everything except the side skirt can be fixed in a day. Not sure how long that's going to take to get painted and all. Should go like this:

Rear tire replaced: Monday
Wheels refinished: Tuesday
Front door touched-up: Wednesday
New side skirt and jack piece installed: Thursday or Friday

So it should be all set a week from today --- within 175 hours of the accident.

But at least $1,200 poorer.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #63
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
I don't see how it'd be possible for the damage to be more than $2K.
I agree that the damage is not as bad as it seems. Can the wheels be repaired back to the original? The running board will probably have to be replaced and the under carriage is minimal. The door shouldn't cost that much if there is minor damage. So I think you are close on your estimate. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Live and learn like you say. Take care!
      06-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #64
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
I agree that the damage is not as bad as it seems. Can the wheels be repaired back to the original? The running board will probably have to be replaced and the under carriage is minimal. The door shouldn't cost that much if there is minor damage. So I think you are close on your estimate. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Live and learn like you say. Take care!
It's hard to believe but they can and will be. The guy who fixed the minor damage on my wheels from (ironically) getting my PS2s installed works for almost every car dealership around here (Mercedez, BMW, Porchse, Bentley, etc) and said he has worked some miracles before with scratches that were 1/4 inch deep. Mine might be 1/10th of an inch deep or something around there. Not really sure but they will be fixed to profection.

Yes, the running board which is called the "Rocker Side Molding" by BMW needs to be replaced. It's just too banged up to be fixed. Towards the back, the piece is dented so much that is almost made a hole clean through. Good news is that the piece is only $116 and painting and install should cost $200 together (thought it was $200 for paint and $100 for install before but got that clarified). So the rocker side molding will cost me around $325 to get it back on the car and brand new.

As far as the under carriage damage goes, all I can see damaged is the jacking plastic piece which I already ordered a new one of (cost $10.13). Other than that I'm going to have to see if the body shop notices anything.

I'm leaving in about 20 minutes to see the guy who does work for Mercedez to get a quote on what he'd charge to fix the door. We'll see. I'll compare his quote to the actual BMW body shop. If we're just talking about $100 difference than I'll let the BMW body shop handle it to be on the safe side but if it's more than that then I'll leave it to the guy I'm going to see because I've seen his work and he does work some magic.

The only other thing I can think of that needs to be done would be to get my tires aligned --- which I'll have them do when I get the rear tire installed on Monday.

Oh and the BMW Body Shop said they have about a 2-week backlog right now but because all I need done is my new rocker replacement panel painted, installed and the car looked over, they can have the piece painted in two days and install and check over the car on the third day.

So I'll take the panel to the body shop when it comes in on Wednesday and then they'll install the panel and check over the car on Saturday. Hope it doesn't come in on Thursday because they are closed on Sunday.

I'll keep you guys posted. Should be no time at all before I get my Bimmer all back to its former self.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #65
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
I'm leaving in about 20 minutes to see the guy who does work for Mercedez to get a quote on what he'd charge to fix the door. We'll see. I'll compare his quote to the actual BMW body shop. If we're just talking about $100 difference than I'll let the BMW body shop handle it to be on the safe side but if it's more than that then I'll leave it to the guy I'm going to see because I've seen his work and he does work some magic.
So I brought my car by the guy's office today and he actually showed me something I missed. The bottom part of the front door where it's scratched is bent in a little bit. Therefore it's going to need some more work than I thought. Just curious, how much do you think he quoted me to get the door completely fixed (including the door reshaped and the whole door getting painted --- he said he'd have to paint the whole door because you'd be able to see the paint lines if he didn't)?

$200, $300, $400, $600, $800?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #66
macboi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
seems like you're taking it a lot better now.. LOL. hope you feel better man, and get everything fix to perfection!!!! no half-ass job

Appreciate 0