BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

dealer ECU upgrades/tunes & X-pipes

General question here on a few thoughts I have. My engine is stock, MS air filter & EI x-pipe (HFC & resonators) with Remus Sport exhaust. Sounds fantastic, pulls like a raped ape and all is good with no CEL'...so far. Question is, as time goes on and the Mcar goes to the dealer, I'm sure software tunes will come down and they'll do it or if it starts to run a little ruff and I ask them to check it out and give it a tune-up, can they refuse because of the X-pipe? I understand it only voids the warrenty on the stock x-pipe & exhaust, which is in my garage anyhow. But just wondering if BMW can give me a hard time for such issues? thanks for any advice.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
General question here on a few thoughts I have. My engine is stock, MS air filter & EI x-pipe (HFC & resonators) with Remus Sport exhaust. Sounds fantastic, pulls like a raped ape and all is good with no CEL'...so far. Question is, as time goes on and the Mcar goes to the dealer, I'm sure software tunes will come down and they'll do it or if it starts to run a little ruff and I ask them to check it out and give it a tune-up, can they refuse because of the X-pipe? I understand it only voids the warrenty on the stock x-pipe & exhaust, which is in my garage anyhow. But just wondering if BMW can give me a hard time for such issues? thanks for any advice.

Rob
yes...
      02-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
No.
Only if the can determine that the problems are a direct consequence of the Xpipe.
      02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
yes...
Well, they can but they will be in conflict with the Magnessen-Moss Warranty Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
No.
Only if the can determine that the problems are a direct consequence of the Xpipe.
This is correct. However, most dealers will opt for the LBM option until you threaten them with a lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
No.
what he said. this is why i waited 15K before doing anything to my car (I'm still waiting)..
I wanted to make sure I could get everything perfect b4 making any performance modifications.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

All of this of course is also contingent on how you treat the people at the dealer. Last time I went in was the first time my car visited the dealer with my X-pipe and other mods. I recommend tipping your SA and also establishing a rapport with the technician or foreman. Tip them as well. You will find out that most of the guys back there are also car enthusiasts and likely have modded/high performance vehicles of their own. Good Porsche dealers are the same way. they know their customers are tracking cars and modding them and they don't really care. Some dealers are better than others. Of course there are the horror stories, but be smart about it, treat the dealer well, and don't hide anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

what is at 15k?? sorry if that is stupid question, just first time i have read that about waiting till 15k to mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
what he said. this is why i waited 15K before doing anything to my car (I'm still waiting)..
I wanted to make sure I could get everything perfect b4 making any performance modifications.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

totally agree 100%, when you find a cool SA take care of him for sure. i got lucky and found a cool one a couple years ago and always tip him and only see him when i go and if he is away i wait till he gets back. he even hooked me up with the cooler rental girl and i take care of her (not as much) and i always get a cool car versus the camry's or rav 4's that you usually get. my SA makes sure they don't drive my car unless it is needed, bc i have seen what some of them do to the M cars.

one guy on here had his car go in with 3/4 oil and got it back with only 1/2 full and it only had 20 miles on it. 20 miles is alot for a test drive in my op and what the hell did they do in 20 miles to burn through 1/4 of oil on the level on the computer?? that is the shit that scares me

so long story short i always take care of my SA and the tech when i can or i leave it with the SA for him and my car never gets washed or driven if not needed.

i was there the other day getting some oil for my car and i pulled in the back to put it in bc the lot was full with customers and i didn't want to take up the spot bc the place was swamped. when i was putting the oil in i seen at least 3 of either the valet guys or a tech driving the hell out of 3 different cars back there. i mean really beating them. then the one guy when he came back realized i was a customer and had that oh shit look on his face. that is why i hate going to the dealer and only go for warranty stuff. i prefer my independent Dinan dealer to do the work on my car. there straight up honest place and never do the stuff dealers do and i am treated like family and it is the same tech that works on my car every time so he knows it like i do.

anyway sorry for the rant

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamie92m3 View Post
All of this of course is also contingent on how you treat the people at the dealer. Last time I went in was the first time my car visited the dealer with my X-pipe and other mods. I recommend tipping your SA and also establishing a rapport with the technician or foreman. Tip them as well. You will find out that most of the guys back there are also car enthusiasts and likely have modded/high performance vehicles of their own. Good Porsche dealers are the same way. they know their customers are tracking cars and modding them and they don't really care. Some dealers are better than others. Of course there are the horror stories, but be smart about it, treat the dealer well, and don't hide anything.
Appreciate 0