BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Brake bias for StopTech front and OEM rear?

Saw some decent deals on the StopTech Trophy BBKs and the updated V5 calipers look really good.

However I am only planning on doing StopTech BBK on the front, and rear will remain OEM(will match the pads)

Just wondering if anyone ran the numbers before for ST40/355mm and ST60/380mm in the front, and OEM in the rear.

Currently deciding between the STR40 and STR60, and want to see how close they are to stock brake bias and I don't exactly know how to calculate it
      04-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Stoptech sizes the pistons appropriately for its front and rear calipers to stay close to stock bias. What you would not do, for example, is run a front spec ST40 caliper in the rear or run an ST40 or ST60 caliper for another car in either the front or rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

It's fairly easy to calculate if you have all the numbers, time consuming but not overly complicated. Getting all the numbers is the hard part.

That being said, the kits are designed to match OEM (or very very close) bias. That way you can do just the front kit and leave the rears OEM and the brake bias remains virtually unchanged. Whether you do the 4 or 6 piston kit it will match OEM bias.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
It's fairly easy to calculate if you have all the numbers, time consuming but not overly complicated. Getting all the numbers is the hard part.

That being said, the kits are designed to match OEM (or very very close) bias. That way you can do just the front kit and leave the rears OEM and the brake bias remains virtually unchanged. Whether you do the 4 or 6 piston kit it will match OEM bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Stoptech sizes the pistons appropriately for its front and rear calipers to stay close to stock bias. What you would not do, for example, is run a front spec ST40 caliper in the rear or run an ST40 or ST60 caliper for another car in either the front or rear.
Thanks for the info on the piston sizes being close to stock, I know some brakes manufactures do that and some others are more on the one size fit all approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post

Yes, getting the number is hard, I know some aftermarket companies are reluctant to provide that number to the public. Good to hear that StopTech is close enough that I don't have to worry about it!
tsk941516.00