BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Tosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

The 2nd --> 1st downshift when slowing.

I know, I know. I have seen other people talking about this but I did a search and really couldn't come up with much.

When I am driving in auto mode around town and slow to a light, I sometimes get a 'ka-chunk' noise when the DCT shifts into first. It seems others experience this as well.

I don't get it every time and sometimes it's perfectly smooth. Has anyone taken their car in for this or is this just normal for DCT? Unfortunately, my nearest dealer is 250 miles away so it's not like I can just drop by.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.
      09-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

I dunno if it is any different for DCT, but on my 6MT I never shift into first unless I am at a complete stop or crawling. I won't ever shift into first if I am, for example, slowing down.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yep, seems both intermittent but normal. Some of this roughness may be attributed to the fact that it is mechanically a normal MT inside. It has clutches and no torque converted. However, that being said if the auto downshifts can be perfect sometimes, they should be perfect all the time. Definitely one of those small little annoyances with the M-DCT. Very tolerable though IMHO for all the benefits. Hopefully the rumored September software update, whenever it comes, will address this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Tosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Yep, seems both intermittent but normal. Some of this roughness may be attributed to the fact that it is mechanically a normal MT inside. It has clutches and no torque converted. However, that being said if the auto downshifts can be perfect sometimes, they should be perfect all the time. Definitely one of those small little annoyances with the M-DCT. Very tolerable though IMHO for all the benefits. Hopefully the rumored September software update, whenever it comes, will address this issue.
Yeah, I had suspicions it was somewhat normal. It is strange though that it shifts perfectly sometimes and not others.

I asked my dealer about the Sept. update and he didn't know anything about it. Hopefully they will get the memo and hopefully the software update fixes some of these glitches.

Either way, fantastic car. I just finished my 1200 mile service and am having loads of fun.
      09-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

If it bothers you just drive in D1 so your car doesnt go into 1st ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
If it bothers you just drive in D1 so your car doesnt go into 1st ;-)
HA...

Yeah, mine does a bit of a clunk sometimes too. I figure it is "normal", although, with all the computer control, etc., you would THINK they could get it to do the 2-1 downshift smoothly everytime! lol
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0