BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #45
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

I sincerely apologize for the gap you’ve seen in our release of the data. Our decision to hold the dyno data was not a decision we made in an attempt to conceal truthful data, but rather one based on our view that the data we gathered was sufficiently corrupt, to the point where it could not be considered reliable.

Several factors played into the decision to hold our gathered data:

First, the normal DynoJet dyno facility we used was booked for over a month. In an attempt to gather data despite this, we went to a facility with a Dyno Dynamics dyno that is notorious in the Chicagoland area for reading extremely low.

Second, the M3 we used for testing delivered extremely low results, even before modifications were applied. Upon dyno testing the M3 we realized that it’s sub-280hp power level was extremely low, even on this Dyno Dynamcis machine. The owner of the car went to several other facilities later in the same week and found that his car was vastly underperforming in completely factory form. Although he got the issue corrected in time, this process took him and BMW quite a bit of time. Our window for testing the piece had passed at this point.

Third, the graph delivered to us was small, difficult to read, and generated with very old software that made the graph impossible to scale. Again, if we had worked with our normal facility (AMS Performance), we could have created a much more useable data set.

Overall, the data set we generated during our testing was found to be inconclusive. We did see a gain in power throughout the RPM band, but because we faced several issues during testing we felt that our findings were not reliable enough to publish. Our testing did reveal an approximately 9hp gain at peak, but again, this is not a number we wished to quote given the surrounding circumstances.

I hope that this clears up some of the questions people had. Your concerns were valid, and this is something we should have addressed earlier. Here is the graph we did generate, just for the record:

Last edited by IND-Distribution; 11-16-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #46
The Flying Scotsman
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

It is in my opinion that aftermarket intakes and drop-in filters do increase horsepower by about 8-10hp.

However, the only difference between a intake and drop-in filter is that you may get an additional 2 hp with an intake system as well as you will be able to hear the aftermarket intake system a little more, which some people may like.

Be aware of cheap intakes as there are some intake's known in the past to heat soak and actually loose horsepower over the stock set-up after long preiods of use.

Either way, you cannot go wrong with a company like IND. They carry good products.

A drop-in filter is my personal preference!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #47
TQPDWN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

i came out from a tech institute, let me say in short and easy way of understanding,
Engine is made out of ONLY sucking lets say for instance... 10lbs of air per sec.
so..dont matter how big you change the intake, go short or long same that going to filters too.everything you changed is waste of money. because engine is only made out of sucking 10lbs of air per sec.
Intake = look cool,sound louder,it does help air flow=burn more gas = peak of hp increase that you wont feel.
still dont believe me? then why bmw/nissan/toyota/ect. techs dont use after martket filters?i dont think they are stupid. they are master techs!! GOD OF CARS!
if you go FI thats different story now.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #48
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I had a filter > Dinan > Filter again.
Go figure. =)

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #49
alpine92m3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 m3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Well, ultimately it's YOUR $$ and only you can decide what you want to spend it on. I did the AFE stage 2(and iirc it was about $400) because someone on here(won't mention names) got 6 rwhp with it, so i did it and the scoops. Did i notice anything? Not really. I also did UDPs, midpipe, and rear exhaust and now a tune (Evolve). So by now, who knows what actually did what I just know the car is/feels faster than stock Would i do it over again? Probably so, because $400 is not THAT big of a deal to me.
true
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #50
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQPDWN View Post
i came out from a tech institute, let me say in short and easy way of understanding,
Engine is made out of ONLY sucking lets say for instance... 10lbs of air per sec.
so..dont matter how big you change the intake, go short or long same that going to filters too.everything you changed is waste of money. because engine is only made out of sucking 10lbs of air per sec.
Intake = look cool,sound louder,it does help air flow=burn more gas = peak of hp increase that you wont feel.
still dont believe me? then why bmw/nissan/toyota/ect. techs dont use after martket filters?i dont think they are stupid. they are master techs!! GOD OF CARS!
if you go FI thats different story now.
Do the words "inlet restriction" mean anything to you?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #51
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Do the words "inlet restriction" mean anything to you?
You are wasting your breath. : )
Appreciate 0