BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Tranny Leak......word to the wise

I know this has been discussed before but here's one more post. If your car is nearing the end of the factory warranty do yourself a favor......remove the cover and see if you have a leak. This is a known issue and the repairs call for a full tranny drop. I caught mine just in time.......see photo for part numbers.......Phil
Attached Images

2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Good idea since I'm sure they are all leaking at that point. It's nice to get fresh parts on it, but where are you seeing the trans is removed/installed. No way they are pulling the trans.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Good idea since I'm sure they are all leaking at that point. It's nice to get fresh parts on it, but where are you seeing the trans is removed/installed. No way they are pulling the trans.
If the leak is on top the trans has to be dropped. This info comes from a friend who's the shop foreman.............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
If the leak is on top the trans has to be dropped. This info comes from a friend who's the shop foreman.............Phil
that's interesting. I wonder how many cars leak from the top of the case too as there's not really any fluid up there. It's like having a breather hole on top of the diff, the fluid is mostly on the bottom and it may only leak while driving. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
that's interesting. I wonder how many cars leak from the top of the case too as there's not really any fluid up there. It's like having a breather hole on top of the diff, the fluid is mostly on the bottom and it may only leak while driving. Interesting.
Yeah I was surprised to hear this as well. The fact that it had a leak didn't really surprise me since it's a known issue...........Phil
Appreciate 0