BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #23
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI32 View Post
I've been seeing good reviews about route 66 (https://www.route66warranty.com). Has anyone had any experiences with them?
Doesn't cover M cars
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #24
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

From what I have seen, more of these after market warranties are scams that take your money and deny you claims than pay out when you need them. Check BBB, yelp and other sites before you make a choice and read the fine print. Some will deny your claims if you have ANY mods (including oversized tires) on the car even if the issue is unrelated to the mods (USAA's underwriter Assurant being one of them). Some will only cover specifically listed parts and if you have a failure of a related but unlisted part they wont cover.

Better advice might be to put the money you would spend on an after market warranty into an emergency fund. Check this out about the company carmax uses-Warranty Group, aftermarket reviews on yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-warranty-group-chicago

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Yeah, as my days of warranty draw to a close (19 days and counting), I am starting to think more and more that I will just save the money. Sure, the warranty may well cover smaller issues, and if I'm "lucky" there will be enough of those minor issues for the warranty to pay for itself (although you gotta consider inflated dealer pricing). But if anything serious happens (transmission or engine), the stuff you really want the warranty for, they will give you all sorts of grief. You're better off complaining to BMW and trying for a good faith replacement as they have occasionally done. The aftermarket warranty company will want you to disassemble the whole engine on your dime to prove the bearings did it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #26
AI32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Yeah, as my days of warranty draw to a close (19 days and counting), I am starting to think more and more that I will just save the money. Sure, the warranty may well cover smaller issues, and if I'm "lucky" there will be enough of those minor issues for the warranty to pay for itself (although you gotta consider inflated dealer pricing). But if anything serious happens (transmission or engine), the stuff you really want the warranty for, they will give you all sorts of grief. You're better off complaining to BMW and trying for a good faith replacement as they have occasionally done. The aftermarket warranty company will want you to disassemble the whole engine on your dime to prove the bearings did it in.
I was on the fence, and almost went the route you're going of basically self insuring, but my situation is a bit different because I bought the car out of warranty. I just purchased an Assurant warranty for 3 years and 30k miles for ~$3800. I figure that I'd rather fight with them to pay if my engine blows than know i've got to come up with the full price out of pocket. Now I can finally stop researching warranties like a mad man...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #27
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI32 View Post
I was on the fence, and almost went the route you're going of basically self insuring, but my situation is a bit different because I bought the car out of warranty. I just purchased an Assurant warranty for 3 years and 30k miles for ~$3800. I figure that I'd rather fight with them to pay if my engine blows than know i've got to come up with the full price out of pocket. Now I can finally stop researching warranties like a mad man...
See, I would expect them to pay for little stuff, you know, the stuff you can DIY or get an independent to do for half of what the dealer charges. I wouldn't trust an aftermarket warranty company with anything major like a 13K DCT swap or a new engine for 20K. We have a very recent example from this board of a member who blew his engine, and Assurant demanded he pay out of pocket to have his entire engine taken apart and the oil sump examined to make sure that wasn't the cause of the failure and not the bearings, as if it matters when the end result is a dead engine due to oil starvation. They they would say, oh this one little gasket is the one thing not covered and it totally caused the problem. Even with supposedly exclusionary policies I've seen them pull crap like that. Or occasionally you'll find a guy who bought a Carchex warranty (also backed by Assurant), not realizing and not being informed that they don't actually cover M3s. First big bill and it's, "oops, this was issued in error, sir, here is your full refund that is 1/10th of the repair cost". Or it could be as stupid as "oh, those aftermarket wheels put undue stress on the engine". Hell, I've had a BMW dealership refuse to give my car a courtesy wash (back when I was stupid enough to let them wash my car) because I had aftermarket wheels.

I have 25K miles on the car after 3 years, it will be fine another year until I get some Clevite bearings. And if it does blow in the next year, I'll get up in BMW's ass far enough that they'll issue a good-faith replacement just to get the taste of my boots off their tonsils.

Can't get good help anywhere anymore without being a dick and raising hell. Whatever happened to American pride in good work and customer service?

Last edited by modkrazy; 01-09-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #28
Shartibartfast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

I just got the Carmax warranty at the highest deductible for $1700ish. Still not sure if I made the right decision, but I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #29
juanster
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Garage List
I have State Farm in California. I asked them if they offered it for my 2011 M3. They said that California only allows you to buy it from the dealer. Does anyone know this to be true?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #30
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanster View Post
I have State Farm in California. I asked them if they offered it for my 2011 M3. They said that California only allows you to buy it from the dealer. Does anyone know this to be true?
Technically, only the dealership can sell you a warranty. Everybody else actually sells a service contract, but they call an extended warranty, but it really is just a service contract. The person you were speaking to could have been playing semantics, but I wouldn't take it past California to have some weird oddball laws.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #31
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhpfanatic View Post
Just got one from CarChex (their Titanium coverage) for an additional 3 years for a little under $3,000. I've heard positive things about them and let's face it, any warranty company can be a problem.

Hate spending the cash since I only have 35,000 miles on the car, but it's peace of mind knowing that of something crazy happens you are good.
^This = plus they let you pay over 18 months no interest if your credit is good...go for the higher out of pocket deductible and the cost of the plan is cheaper...

Also - everyone talking about getting a warranty from a Credit Union...very few CU's offer this type of service...PLUS you must qualify for their respective field of membership...I have first hand knowledge with a $2 billion asset CU...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #32
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

For $3500, you could have got 5yr/100kmi warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #33
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' SMB M3CS

this may be off topic.....but if someone purchases a used M3 with a supercharger already installed, can warranty still be purchased?
Appreciate 0