BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #155
djaft3rb3ats
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 6MT fully loaded

i searched far and wide exclusively for the 6spd.

driving a TL the otherday with paddle shifters as a loaner car made me realize how cool DCT could be, but ill stick with my 6spd
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #156
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

Haven't driven a DCT yet but I do enjoy driving a 6MT.. even in NYC, haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #157
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
When it comes to automotive transmissions, the DCT IS the best thing since sliced bread.
You think DCT will be available on the next, most modern iteration of the M3/M4? It's early, but I will be very surprised if a single automatic transmission isn't the replacement for what will be the outgoing DCT because lighter and more gears than seven are the way of the future for automatics. So, in a mere six years we will be talking about DCT as the new dinosaur tranny even as senor manuel has outlived the transitional band aid DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Yes, but do you like your bread sliced by a machine or by hand???
Ouch
      01-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #158
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
You think DCT will be available on the next, most modern iteration of the M3/M4? It's early, but I will be very surprised if a single automatic transmission isn't the replacement for what will be the outgoing DCT because lighter and more gears than seven are the way of the future for automatics. So, in a mere six years we will be talking about DCT as the new dinosaur tranny even as senor manuel has outlived the transitional band aid DCT.
For the sake of BMW's sales, I really hope that is not the case. I would love to own an AMG of some sorts (C63 anyone?) but not in an automatic. Mercedes automatic transmissions are garbage, and the Achilles heel of that car. If BMW did away with DCT and went full automatic I would certainly convert to the manual and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #159
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

Ouch
Yes, technology will go forward, but considering this generation of M3 has a manual transmission, if they do phase it out next gen, I'm sure the DCT will still be around. Supercars, etc. are now starting to exclusively use DCT, I don't think the technology is going anywhere, it will only continue to be refined. If they do switch to exclusively automatic, that will be sad. Any potential future advances do not invalidate the fact that the E9x gen DCT in S mode is an absolute joy when paired with 8600RPM of wailing revband on the track.

Quote:
Slicing machine operated by human > human hewing away with a knife. They always end up mashing the bread and making it lopsided.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #160
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
That was a killer phrase!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #161
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
For the sake of BMW's sales, I really hope that is not the case. I would love to own an AMG of some sorts (C63 anyone?) but not in an automatic. Mercedes automatic transmissions are garbage, and the Achilles heel of that car. If BMW did away with DCT and went full automatic I would certainly convert to the manual and never look back.
I dont know...automatics are teh dinausaurs and that's the reason why they invented the DCT. So to salute pre historic stone age auto boxes instead of DCT is just wrong.
I know what I'm talking about as my old 7-G transmission was billion miles in response and feedback away, far behind the DCT equipped M3 I test drove once...long time ago.
You know I gave it a try!
See it this way, off with the DCT fan boy glasses and just plain and simple give the manual equipped M3 a try. Be honest to yourself and also give the car a chance to leave an impression, instead of directly bashing it for the manual and sorting it out.
Just give it a try...you wouldn't even need to ask if you would have given it a try...

Last edited by vsix; 01-09-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #162
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parry View Post
capiche

He only sprechens sie deutsch, and thinks the DCT is best invention since sliced bread
I know that lol
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #163
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Nein wünscht du dir nicht
Why are you trying to type in German? You do know I am American, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #164
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Apt analogy considering how slow slicing bread by hand is...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #165
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont know...automatics are teh dinausaurs and that's the reason why they invented the DCT. So to salute pre historic stone age auto boxes instead of DCT is just wrong.
I know what I'm talking about as my old 7-G transmission was billion miles in response and feedback behind the DCT equipped M3 I test drove once...long time ago.
Try to see it this way, off with the DCT fan boy glasses and just plain and simple give the manual equipped M3 a try. Be honest to yourself and also give the car a chance to leave an impression, instead of directly bashing it for the manual and sorting it out.
Just give it a try...you wouldn't even need to ask if you would have given it a try...
Ive driven the 6mt and DCT M3. I preferred the DCT so thats what I went with. I wouldnt say I am a DCT fan boy either. Its just what i prefer and i have no problems the 6mt. I like manual transmission cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #166
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Why are you trying to type in German? You do know I am American, right?
Me know
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #167
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ive driven the 6mt and DCT M3. I preferred the DCT so thats what I went with
Then everything's fine, you know what I was refering about was the fact that you need to have options before you make an decision, instead of just beeing undecided and only letting the crowd to decide. Well, what you said is good to me. Thanks for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #168
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Me know
Okay. So..why are you typing in German?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #169
Shredicus
Major
Rep

To touch on the salient point of this thread :

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #170
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

Um, I think we can all agree it is personal preference, not about which is cooler. Unless most people decide how to spend $40k to $70k on total strangers peer pressure. They are both good options.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #171
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

Manual owner here. the DCT is the better transmission for this car. The manual, however, is a little more engaging (the DCT is quite engaging too). I have no regrets about my decision but I would like to trade my car in a few years for a DCT sedan as a DD when I'm ready to buy a Porsche (a manual) as a garage queen.

[CURRENT] 2016 Porsche GT4 (for sale)
[PREVIOUS] '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, '16 M2, '13 911 C2 7MT, '08 E92 M3, '07 E92 335i, '97 M3 Coupe, '95 318ti
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #172
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
I would make no sense for a manufacturer such as BMW to pass on a transmission that offered more than seven gears, shifted just as fast as DCT and weighed less. With fuel efficiency and vehicle weight being a great a factor as ever in the design of its models, having such a transmission option would be nearly irresistible. Even more so if it were reliable. Maybe you've seen this ↓.

http://automotivethinker.com/transmi...transmissions/

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Yes, technology will go forward, but considering this generation of M3 has a manual transmission, if they do phase it out next gen, I'm sure the DCT will still be around. Supercars, etc. are now starting to exclusively use DCT, I don't think the technology is going anywhere, it will only continue to be refined. If they do switch to exclusively automatic, that will be sad. Any potential future advances do not invalidate the fact that the E9x gen DCT in S mode is an absolute joy when paired with 8600RPM of wailing revband on the track.
Like you note, tech does go forward. Therefore, I see no reason to be sad if the shifts are delivered at the same or a quicker rate for those that demand as much from an automatic transmission.

The supercars are a breed apart from the mass produced models. Those manufacturers (e.g. Bugatti, Ferrari et al) are going to keep building whatever they wish without the concerns, or at least far less concerns, than those peculiar to a firm such as BMW AG insofar as fuel efficiency and carbon emissions is the subject. However, they are not tied to any particular transmission as witnessed by their willingness to go 100% automatic even though some clients would have preferred a manual option.
      01-10-2015, 04:38 AM   #173
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
I would make no sense for a manufacturer such as BMW to pass on a transmission that offered more than seven gears, shifted just as fast as DCT and weighed less. With fuel efficiency and vehicle weight being a great a factor as ever in the design of its models, having such a transmission option would be nearly irresistible. Even more so if it were reliable.
I don't think the number of gears or how the "semi-auto" box is built is that important. The DCT is popular (~90% of every E9x M3 in the UK is DCT) especially amongst traditional manual owners (in the UK at least) because of the driving experience it gives.
I can see how more efficient (and with more gears etc) auto boxes will fit well for more mainstream cars but high performance European manufacturers won't adopt them if it degrades the driving experience for their high end cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #174
MightyEKA
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2011

My M3 DCT is my first car with automatic transmission. I work as an automotive engineer and since I have worked with developing dual-clutch gearboxes, I'd call myself rather picky.
The DCT is not flawless, but the "issues" are minor and rare. It is probably the best auto-box I have driven. The close-to-uninterrupted power delivery when shifting @ 8000+rpm is simply addictive.

I do often wish that it was a manual transmission. A MT connects you to the car that a DCT does not do. But if I could turn back time, I would buy a DCT all over again. The seamless power delivery is fascinating and the transmission impresses me every time I drive it.

Note well: I do not do tracks. I use my car as a DD and have no "racing experience" what-so-ever. I just love driving cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #175
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyEKA View Post
My M3 DCT is my first car with automatic transmission. I work as an automotive engineer and since I have worked with developing dual-clutch gearboxes, I'd call myself rather picky.
The DCT is not flawless, but the "issues" are minor and rare. It is probably the best auto-box I have driven. The close-to-uninterrupted power delivery when shifting @ 8000+rpm is simply addictive.

I do often wish that it was a manual transmission. A MT connects you to the car that a DCT does not do. But if I could turn back time, I would buy a DCT all over again. The seamless power delivery is fascinating and the transmission impresses me every time I drive it.

Note well: I do not do tracks. I use my car as a DD and have no "racing experience" what-so-ever. I just love driving cars.
Have a tuner load up the OEM GTS software for your DCT and I'll bet your little niggles will be even slighter.
Appreciate 0