BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Zeesh89
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Jingle/light rattle under light acceleration coming from underneath car

Hi All,

Was hoping someone could help me with a problem. On my e92 m3, when accelerating very gently (between 1-2k RPM, I hear this little jingle sound that is coming from underneath the car, almost underneath the drivers seat. The sound can be heard on the video posted below at around 8 seconds in (you have to listen carefully to catch it). It literally sounds like a little tambourine is being shaken and I have to drive with the windows down to hear it.
The other key thing to note here is that this noise ONLY starts when the car is warm and has been driven around for 10/mins from cold). I do not hear the sound when the car is cold (driving the car when its cold is the only time I can enjoy not putting up with this noise which is frankly a little bit embarrassing). Also, the sound only comes when driving, not in Neutral revving.
I did alot of reading around on this and it seems to me like there are several potential culprits: donut gasket that connect some exhaust pipes, a bracket that's loose, a mounting thats loose, heat shield (though my mechanic confirmed no issues with this).
The cars performance is generally ok, a little bit sluggish at times but I'm not a fast driver (lots of speed restrictions where I live).

I'd be very grateful if anyone can advise or offer any similar experience and how you went about it and what the issue could be.

Thank you.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
I can hear it faintly around the 8s mark of the video. IMO you may have the beginnings of a worn center driveshaft U-Joint coupling. See the information at the thread linked below:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233515
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
Zeesh89
Rep

Thanks DrFerry.

The sound does not resemble the noise of a cowbell though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:42 PM   #4
Zeesh89
Rep

Hi All

Would anyone be able to help? Been living with this noise for years and it's embarrassing for this car.

Sound can be heard if you focus around 7/8 seconds of the video posted above.

Another user posted a similar problem a while back here claiming it was the emission valve which was leaking (though that was never confirmed).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ZR
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:02 PM   #5
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don’t think an ‘emission valve’ would care whether a car was in gear or neutral (per claim of not hearing in neutral). It’s dependent on engine operations, right? If the valve is broken and fluttering I would assume you’d hear it in neutral as well, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone been underneath to check it out in the past two years?

My money is on exhaust gaskets or loose hardware/bracket. Could also be a weak component in your driveline assembly.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 07:41 PM   #6
Zeesh89
Rep

Thanks for your reply

I had my mechanic look at almost a year ago. Told me everything looked intact and solid.

This is a unique sound and various members of the community have also encountered the same noise issue. Hopefully someone managed to identify the exact cause....

I took it to a different mechanic today who told me the vibration dampener and os anti roll bar link need to be changed (I.e. what's causing the noise ) but I'm not totally convinced of that
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00