BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Dealer just informed me a wheel is bent!

I took it in this morning for the required 2yr vehicle check and asked them to pay particular attention to the front end because I was getting a vibration at highway speeds (figured it was a tire out of balance). They called me to let me know they were done and that the left front wheel was bent. I really didn't expect it because there is no visible dent. Inside or outside. Do you think I have any recourse with getting it replaced under warranty? I mean, it doesn't appear to be a result of hitting a pothole or anything like that.
      08-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
I took it in this morning for the required 2yr vehicle check and asked them to pay particular attention to the front end because I was getting a vibration at highway speeds (figured it was a tire out of balance). They called me to let me know they were done and that the left front wheel was bent. I really didn't expect it because there is no visible dent. Inside or outside. Do you think I have any recourse with getting it replaced under warranty? I mean, it doesn't appear to be a result of hitting a pothole or anything like that.
Probably not unless your dealer is very sympathetic towards you.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
How else would it have happened? The wheels usually just don't dent on their own.

You brought it in with a problem that was likely caused by you in some way, shape, or form. I'm not saying you meant to damage the wheel, but it isn't really a warranty type of item, so you'll probably be paying for it.
      08-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Good luck but mostly likely no way. Get it replaced and then sell yours on ebay or something to get some of the cost back.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. This won't be covered under warranty unless you purchased the tire/wheel warranty (even then it might be a push as they typically say things like "unless the wheel is damaged enough to keep the tire from holding air").

If you need a new wheel, give the guys at getbmwparts a call. I picked up a front comp pack wheel to use as a spare for $489 (free shipping) during their recent sale. It might be over, but I think that they usually sell them for around $520.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I'd get a second opinion on the bent wheel - w/o a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Wheels and tires are excluded from factory warranty, which is why a Wheel & Tire warranty service contract exists and can be optionally bought. I could see the dealer helping you if you JUST took delivery of your brand new car but your car is 2-years old now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
I'd get a second opinion on the bent wheel - w/o a doubt.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

What you should do is buy a new wheel and a pair of new front tires for your M. Have the old wheel straigntened, and put the old tire back on it. Keep it in inventory along with the extra tire. This way, when you flat, you can get towed to your house, put on your extra wheel, and then take the wheel with the flat and the extra tire to BMW to remount and road force balance.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

If the problem did not exist when you took delivery of your car 2 years ago, then it is your problem to fix. If it did exist 2 years ago and you're now addressing it, then that's a different conversation.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Car is almost 4 years now. I jacked the car up and spun the wheel... no sign of being out of round like the service sept claimed. It probably lost a wheel weight. Will take it back to the place that mounted the tires and did the road force balance to check.
      08-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Car is almost 4 years now. I jacked the car up and spun the wheel... no sign of being out of round like the service sept claimed. It probably lost a wheel weight. Will take it back to the place that mounted the tires and did the road force balance to check.
Wheels typically bend on the inside where it is the most weak. You are going to have a tough time spotting a bend by spinning it on your car. You would need to see it spin at a high speed on a balancer. You may have luck improving the vibration by getting it re-balanced. Have the tire shop show you the wheel spinning on a balancer to see for yourself. Wheels bend all of the time; it's just a "cost of doing business".
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

If it makes you feel any more confident in your dealer's diagnosis of your wheel, I have a small vibration in my steering wheel which was said to be due to a small bend in my front left wheel. This was realized after I put my Michelin PSS tires on with balancing. I'm in the process of getting a new wheel with the same tire mounted to see if that fixes the vibration.

The vibration gets noticeable around 65-80 mph. It's small and the vibration is only visible if I let go of the steering wheel. (My hands are off for a split second so don't think I drive around hands free!lol)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

My car is less than a year old, running OEM ZCP rims. I just recently got Pilot Super Sports mounted and my Tire Shop guy said that BOTH of my driver side rims are bent (minor, but can see it while balancing).

Even though these OEM rims are made in Germany or whatever, they are rims. If you drive through potholes by accident, they are still prone to being bent.
      08-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #15
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
If it makes you feel any more confident in your dealer's diagnosis of your wheel, I have a small vibration in my steering wheel which was said to be due to a small bend in my front left wheel. This was realized after I put my Michelin PSS tires on with balancing. I'm in the process of getting a new wheel with the same tire mounted to see if that fixes the vibration.

The vibration gets noticeable around 65-80 mph. It's small and the vibration is only visible if I let go of the steering wheel. (My hands are off for a split second so don't think I drive around hands free!lol)

Had the same issue with the vibration. Took it back to get rebalanced & was cured. Might want to get the tire shop to spin the tire on the wheel & rebalance prior to buying a new wheel or go to another tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Wheels usually dent on the inside where you can't see it unless you take the wheel off the car. I had a factory 18" wheel that dented on the inside. This happened to be dealer problem so they replaced it for me. But if it happened on your own, then you'd have to repair or replace the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post

Had the same issue with the vibration. Took it back to get rebalanced & was cured. Might want to get the tire shop to spin the tire on the wheel & rebalance prior to buying a new wheel or go to another tire shop.
You're definitely right. Get it checked twice. I took it to dealership after the tire shop to have them balance it and they found the same thing. It's annoying to pay for a new wheel after one year of ownership. With Michigan roads it's price I have to pay. But I'm going to have it fixed and use it as a spare.
      08-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

that's the price we pay for shitty roads in many parts of the USA

SF is horrible, I never drive my M3 there
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Not a chance bro. I had two bent and one that was cracked on the 335i and they wouldn't fix/replace. They even revoked my VA state inspection. Wheel replacement NOT covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
urBan_dK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Either have them show you the bend or give you the printed runout specs that prove the wheel is out of round. The dealers have every reason to avoid a warranty claim so they will be quick to blame something they aren't responsible for.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
getBMWparts
Rep
Drives: BMW Parts

Quote:
PM me if you'd like a price on a new genuine BMW wheel. We keep most M3 versions in stock and ready to ship.

Appreciate 0