BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
djdiplomat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
LOL...dude, those are SOLID aluminum CNC'ed and polished to a mirror finish. They are absolutely stunning in person : )
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
djdiplomat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

S4 is not the best track car but by no means to be compared to a mustang or GN....it handles pretty good actually with a proper suspension and some brakes. The one I mentioned I drove has an Ohlin suspension and Alcon BBK setup... for a 1996 chasis, I think it does pretty well (especially for 10k). I did not want to start a war here just curious how one would do against a SC M3, both cars are great cars IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
LOL...dude, those are SOLID aluminum CNC'ed and polished to a mirror finish. They are absolutely stunning in person : )
Well I stand corrected good sir! Alright, I guess they aren't so bad after all
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

I had an '01 S4 with AWE stage III and was putting down 460 hp and 455 ft lbs of twist. It was a hard decision to sell it, but I wanted to switch to a RWD car and got the M3. I had to test drive the M3 a lot before getting it and somewhat reluctantly pulled the trigger. You hear a lot of people talking about the lack of torque from the S65 and you really have 2 groups of people - the ones who had it and crave it and the people that never had it and therefore will never miss it.

The S4 had crazy lazy power. It didn't matter what gear you were in, just tip the throttle and you'd feel the thrush of power and pass people all day long without calling attention to yourself by wringing out the engine. As a daily driver, it was an effortless killer.

No it wasn't the best handling car, but it was easy to drive fast and confidently. As the OP stated, when properly setup, it can do some damage at a track. The evidence is easy to find as it was a 3 time series champ car of the Speed TV GT Challenge series in the early 2000's.

I'm currently in line for my SC in the hope that I can find some of that missing power, although there's nothing I can do to the S65 to replace the torque of the S4. I really miss that car...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
djdiplomat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFoot View Post
I had an '01 S4 with AWE stage III and was putting down 460 hp and 455 ft lbs of twist. It was a hard decision to sell it, but I wanted to switch to a RWD car and got the M3. I had to test drive the M3 a lot before getting it and somewhat reluctantly pulled the trigger. You hear a lot of people talking about the lack of torque from the S65 and you really have 2 groups of people - the ones who had it and crave it and the people that never had it and therefore will never miss it.

The S4 had crazy lazy power. It didn't matter what gear you were in, just tip the throttle and you'd feel the thrush of power and pass people all day long without calling attention to yourself by wringing out the engine. As a daily driver, it was an effortless killer.

No it wasn't the best handling car, but it was easy to drive fast and confidently. As the OP stated, when properly setup, it can do some damage at a track. The evidence is easy to find as it was a 3 time series champ car of the Speed TV GT Challenge series in the early 2000's.

I'm currently in line for my SC in the hope that I can find some of that missing power, although there's nothing I can do to the S65 to replace the torque of the S4. I really miss that car...

Well said...long time ago I had the same setup...never got over that car...

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
Looks alright but those chrome mirrors gotta goooooooooooooo!
That's an Audi Sx trademark. I personally love them.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0