BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Question Ongoing problems with helmet visor fogging

My Arai GP-5W has been a wonderful helmet so far, with one huge exception: the visor fogs like there's no tomorrow.

My race supply shop and Arai USA both suggested I just leave the visor cracked slightly. This does resolve the fogging problem but creates two other problems: light gets in and my eyes don't adjust properly, but more importantly, the visor doesn't have a "lock" and I am worried about it flipping up in an accident/if debris strikes it.

I recently installed a universal anti-fog insert, sometimes called a pinlock. This also works pretty well, but the biggest problem is the weird glare and reflections I get. Depending on the angle of the sun, I sometimes see my own eyes and nose reflected back right in the middle of the visor. Arai sells an exact-fit anti-fog/dual-pane visor rather than this generic insert I have, and they did also tell me this would solve fogging problems, but I'm unsure if it will suffer from the same glare problems.

The GP-5W is named as such because it has a larger eyeport (90mm versus the traditional 60mm), and I'm wondering if that's the root cause of the problem: the visor opening is so tall that my breath exits my nose right onto the visor.

Arai does not sell a breath deflector for their auto helmets, but I might try their motorcycle versions to see if they fit.

If breath deflectors don't fit or don't resolve the problem, I fear I may be forced to find a new helmet with a smaller eyeport. I will basically wear it for a few minutes and breathe hard to see if I can fog it. My first stop would be their GP-6 helmet which is the same shell that fits me perfectly but with the 60mm visor opening, but some of the Simpsons, like the Devil Ray, appear to have smaller eyeports as well. Bells aren't shaped right for my head and Stilo is getting out of my price range.

Any other thoughts or ideas?
      09-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
My Arai GP-5W has been a wonderful helmet so far, with one huge exception: the visor fogs like there's no tomorrow.

My race supply shop and Arai USA both suggested I just leave the visor cracked slightly. This does resolve the fogging problem but creates two other problems: light gets in and my eyes don't adjust properly, but more importantly, the visor doesn't have a "lock" and I am worried about it flipping up in an accident/if debris strikes it.

I recently installed a universal anti-fog insert, sometimes called a pinlock. This also works pretty well, but the biggest problem is the weird glare and reflections I get. Depending on the angle of the sun, I sometimes see my own eyes and nose reflected back right in the middle of the visor. Arai sells an exact-fit anti-fog/dual-pane visor rather than this generic insert I have, and they did also tell me this would solve fogging problems, but I'm unsure if it will suffer from the same glare problems.

The GP-5W is named as such because it has a larger eyeport (90mm versus the traditional 60mm), and I'm wondering if that's the root cause of the problem: the visor opening is so tall that my breath exits my nose right onto the visor.

Arai does not sell a breath deflector for their auto helmets, but I might try their motorcycle versions to see if they fit.

If breath deflectors don't fit or don't resolve the problem, I fear I may be forced to find a new helmet with a smaller eyeport. I will basically wear it for a few minutes and breathe hard to see if I can fog it. My first stop would be their GP-6 helmet which is the same shell that fits me perfectly but with the 60mm visor opening, but some of the Simpsons, like the Devil Ray, appear to have smaller eyeports as well. Bells aren't shaped right for my head and Stilo is getting out of my price range.

Any other thoughts or ideas?
For my hockey helmet I would use lemon pledge. Not sure how it would work in the heat and for a auto helmet, only issue is it can get kina greasy. but it worked.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Trying buffing the inside of your visor with dawn dish detergent. Take a little drop of it and apply like you would car wax and just buff it until it turns clear. That?s what we do on the inside of our m3 windshield we run in IP class and it works like a charm

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

My race supply shop and Arai USA both advised against any of the dish soap or anti-fog sprays.

The race supply shop said those home remedies or sprays are kinda BS and aren't reliable, and that in the heat without proper ventilation you might get "outgassing". Arai USA said they don't advise leaving any chemical on the visor for more than a few seconds (i.e. when you're cleaning it).
      09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

I've seen divers spit into their dive masks and rub it all over the inside to prevent fogging. Couldn't hurt to try.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Chuck's M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: with driving gloves...

I have the same helmet and have the same struggles... I tried a few things recommended by the internet and concluded nothing really worked. Leaving a minor crack is about the only thing that works fot me.
Am i concerned it popping open? Not really because of how well Arai designed their components. I realize that i seldomly lock it down.

-btw, i 'broke in' the helmet before first official use. I have spent many hours wearing it indoors and to sleep a few times. Dont judge! Super comfy helmet!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I wear sunglasses and leave a crack, but my visor is clear.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Can you point your nostrils more downward? Lol jk

What kind of weather are you working with that it fogs up?
      09-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck's M3 View Post
I have the same helmet and have the same struggles... I tried a few things recommended by the internet and concluded nothing really worked. Leaving a minor crack is about the only thing that works fot me.
Am i concerned it popping open? Not really because of how well Arai designed their components. I realize that i seldomly lock it down.

-btw, i 'broke in' the helmet before first official use. I have spent many hours wearing it indoors and to sleep a few times. Dont judge! Super comfy helmet!

I talked to another guy at a recent track day with the GP-5W and he also had problems with it fogging. Glad to hear it's not just me (heavy breather or something, ha). You are right though, it's a very nice helmet. If I can't resolve the fogging problems, and I end up getting a different helmet, I would definitely put the GP-6 at the top of my list. My holy grail helmet is the GP-6RC...but first, I need to win the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Can you point your nostrils more downward? Lol jk

What kind of weather are you working with that it fogs up?

Honestly, it fogs up almost every time I wear it.

Last edited by dparm; 09-22-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Does the GP-6 have the same problem?

Bell's cheaper helmets don't come with anti-fog visors, and dealing with fogging at pretty much every track event is annoying. I like to drive with visor completely down because it means business, and I don't want shit coming through a visor that's cracked open. The Bell RS7 helmet comes with an anti-fog visor, and I was planning on getting either the RS7 or GP-6 when my current helmet expires.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post

Bell's cheaper helmets don't come with anti-fog visors, and dealing with fogging at pretty much every track event is annoying. I like to drive with visor completely down because it means business, and I don't want shit coming through a visor that's cracked open. The Bell RS7 helmet comes with an anti-fog visor, and I was planning on getting either the RS7 or GP-6 when my current helmet expires.

Not sure if the GP-6 has the issue. It has a much smaller eyeport so there's more room between your nose and the visor. Fortunately, my race supply shop keeps a good stock of helmets so I might just stop in and sit there and wear it for 20 minutes to see what happens.

Is the RS7 visor one of those dual-pane deals?
      09-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Chuck's M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: with driving gloves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post

Oh, I guess I actually have the GP-6 with silver mirrorized shield; and yes, it has the same issue as the GP-5W... As mentioned earlier, I usually leave a slight crack depending on the conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck's M3 View Post
Oh, I guess I actually have the GP-6 with silver mirrorized shield; and yes, it has the same issue as the GP-5W... As mentioned earlier, I usually leave a slight crack depending on the conditions.

Damn, sucks to hear that, but thanks for the info. At least I won't have to make a trip up to my shop and sit there like a moron with the helmet on.

I am going to order the Arai motorcycle breath deflector and see if it fits their auto helmets since it looks mostly universal.
      09-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I have a cheap Racequip and the visor doesn?t fog. I do have to pull the helmet down a little and I?m good.

That?s why I bought it. I tried a bunch of Bell and Arai helmets and the Racequip was the best fitting, most comfortable, and only one that didn?t fog with the visor locked.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have a cheap Racequip and the visor doesn?t fog. I do have to pull the helmet down a little and I?m good.

That?s why I bought it. I tried a bunch of Bell and Arai helmets and the Racequip was the best fitting, most comfortable, and only one that didn?t fog with the visor locked.
Were you able to try on the helmet before buying it?
I can't imagine buying a helmet without putting it on my big fat head first.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #16
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i know it might not help now, but i have a bell sport full face helmet. i sort of have a big head and a big nose. i doubled up on the cheek pads so the helmet fits more snug (comfortably), however, there is a ton of room in the nose/mouth area that air circulation is not a problem. maybe try one on next time you're in the market.

is it a thing to drill holes in the visor for some ventilation? like in the movie "rush?"
      09-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #17
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:

Were you able to try on the helmet before buying it?
I can't imagine buying a helmet without putting it on my big fat head first.
Yeah, trying them on before buying is important. I know Bell generally fits me well. The Arai looks really nice and racey but nearly ripped my ears off when taking it off.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, trying them on before buying is important. I know Bell generally fits me well. The Arai looks really nice and racey but nearly ripped my ears off when taking it off.
Arai fits me best. I had my heart set on a Bell, but when I went to Northstar Motorsports (local race supply shop), they told me the Arai was actually fitting my head better since it's more "egg shaped".
      09-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Helmet visors? Rocks and OPR bouncing off your face is good for reflexes.
      09-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That info helps me since Bell fits me fine too. I initially had my mind set on Arai, but like you, it nearly ripped my ears off.
Is the sizing for Racequip similar to Bell?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
That info helps me since Bell fits me fine too. I initially had my mind set on Arai, but like you, it nearly ripped my ears off.
Is the sizing for Racequip similar to Bell?
The Bell Vador was a little looser vs the Racequip Pro15. The medium Bell Vador had the same issue as the Arai (tearing your ears off thing). The Racequip fit my egg head perfectly.

I don?t have the alien bump on the back of my head like the white folk which may explain the different experience. I historically have had a problem finding a good fitting helmet - army, hockey, hoekcy goalie. The only helmet that fit me well was a custom made goalie mask.

The Arai rapes my head in M and L. The HJC was far worse...I would probably put it on in the morning and not take it off until the end of the day. I almost cried in the store taking it off.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      09-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #22
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Hold your breath for faster lap times!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 2