BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

How could an axleback exhaust cause differntial issues?

I keep reading such posts/threads on here. After having witnessed the install firsthand, I'm at a loss as to how this could happen to other owners. Could someone clarify this? I'm a bit curious.. it doesn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Short answer: People remove some bolts from the diff and put them back on wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
Short answer: People remove some bolts from the diff and put them back on wrong.
But why would you even need to touch the diff?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
But why would you even need to touch the diff?
For some reason, removing those bolts makes it easier to swap out the exhaust. Guess something gets in the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
For some reason, removing those bolts makes it easier to swap out the exhaust. Guess something gets in the way.
Have you been under there? That makes absolutely no sense. Unless I'm missing something.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

Quote:
Have you been under there? That makes absolutely no sense. Unless I'm missing something.

Makes absolutely no sense! The exhaust splits before the diff.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

the two bolts that are on the diff hold up the rear section of the exhaust. There are two rubber clamps that are a super PITA to come off with the entire exhaust still on. I've done this about 4 times already.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
Makes absolutely no sense! The exhaust splits before the diff.

There are threads with more detail on why this is done and the damage that can occur due to this. It actually appears to be pretty common.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
the two bolts that are on the diff hold up the rear section of the exhaust. There are two rubber clamps that are a super PITA to come off with the entire exhaust still on. I've done this about 4 times already.
But I mean from what i remember there were a total of 6 bolts removed. Four toward the rear with the strange connecting thread or whatever. And then two more toward the front of the connecting pipes. The differential wasn't touched. Is it possible to install without tampering with the diff and bolts? I wish I had some sort of actual photo diagram.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But I mean from what i remember there were a total of 6 bolts removed. Four toward the rear with the strange connecting thread or whatever. And then two more toward the front of the connecting pipes. The differential wasn't touched. Is it possible to install without tampering with the diff and bolts? I wish I had some sort of actual photo diagram.
There are a total of 8 bolts leaving out the bolts from the diff. Yes you can take off the exhaust without removing the bolts from the diff. Actually you can take off the exhaust without removing any bolts at all, removing them just makes your life so much easier.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There are a total of 8 bolts leaving out the bolts from the diff. Yes you can take off the exhaust without removing the bolts from the diff. Actually you can take off the exhaust without removing any bolts at all, removing them just makes your life so much easier.
Ahh I see. Yeah, the guy who installed mine didnt touch the diff, everything was left alone. It didn't seem to be too hard of a job, took like 45min-1 hr. Removed the bolts that were holding the exhaust in place.. the hangers were a bit of a pain, but thats about it. I was just a bit curious, after reading some other posts on here that have popped up.. because I didnt see anything near the diff being tampered with.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

yea i wonder this myself... removed my oem exhaust without taking any bolts. just the rear one attached to that cable and sprayed WD40... and it slip right off...

here what i say... DONT FAWKING TOUCH THAT DIFF BOLT...
      11-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
yea i wonder this myself... removed my oem exhaust without taking any bolts. just the rear one attached to that cable and sprayed WD40... and it slip right off...

here what i say... DONT FAWKING TOUCH THAT DIFF BOLT...
I mean there are bolts besides that correct? there are like 2 up front that attach the exhaust up front... but its prior to reaching the diff. The diff wasn't touched. Err.. I'm trying to recall. If i had a pic of the undercarriage I could definitively recall. Maybe the bolts I'm thinking of are the ones that attach to the x pipe. And then the rear ones attached to the cable?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Heres a pic of the undercarriage. So why exactly does the diff need to be touched?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Absolutely no reason. But never underestimate how retarded people are... I've seen some crazy a$$ sh!t being done in a shop.
Exactly my thoughts. The only bolts that need be touched are the ones toward the rear that are actually holding it in place. The connecting pipes are just connected to the x pipe... so why would the diff being removed do anything? Besides just creating more space to wiggle out the hook from the hanger?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
can you point them out on the picture?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #17
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
can you point them out on the picture?
Those two red hangers that are near the diff are the two that people remove. It's the only two red hangers in the pic

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Those bolts secure the rear subframe, from what's been said here. If they're not threaded properly and tightened properly, the subframe is not secure and the twisting action of the diff can mess things up.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

You don't need to pull the bolts to get the exhaust brackets off, just the nuts. Not sure why you would pull the bolts out as you'd need to support the frontend of the diff.

The bolts don't secure the subframe, they fasten the front mounting ears of the diff housing to the subframe. Subframe is mounted to the body at 4 points which are totally independent from the diff.
      11-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
Rekrul
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Those two red hangers that are near the diff are the two that people remove. It's the only two red hangers in the pic
Ah I see. So the hangers are held in place via screws/bolts that also secure the diff? So in essence the stock exhaust and those hangers come off at once, and then the hangers are removed and then they are then reattached? I could see how that could make things a bit easier as getting the exhaust out of those hangers was a bit of a challenge. Is that what you mean?

That would make sense, as the connecting pipes seem to be held in place by sitting in those hangers and the grommets that connect it to the x pipe. I guess thats why I didnt really make sense to me.. so the bolts being tampered with hold the hangers in place?

I feel like the only bolts that need be touched are no where near the differential but more toward the rear and muffler canisters.

Last edited by Rekrul; 11-10-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see. So the hangers are held in place via screws/bolts that also secure the diff? So in essence the stock exhaust and those hangers come off at once, and then the hangers are removed and then they are then reattached? I could see how that could make things a bit easier as getting the exhaust out of those hangers was a bit of a challenge. Is that what you mean?

That would make sense, as the connecting pipes seem to be held in place by sitting in those hangers and the grommets that connect it to the x pipe. I guess thats why I didnt really make sense to me.. so the bolts being tampered with hold the hangers in place?

I feel like the only bolts that need be touched are no where near the differential but more toward the rear and muffler canisters.
correct. The first time I took off my exhaust I removed it by prying it off the hangers shit took me almost 2-1/2 hours to do. the weight of the exhaust makes the hangers even harder to come off so removing the two nuts on the diff is 10x easier. What happens is some people do not place them back on when they are done or do not tighten them enough to not move again. Me personally I tightened it all the way that I possibly could so there could be no room for it to wiggle off. If you forget to put em back on or don't tighten them enough thats where you run into problems.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
correct. The first time I took off my exhaust I removed it by prying it off the hangers shit took me almost 2-1/2 hours to do. the weight of the exhaust makes the hangers even harder to come off so removing the two nuts on the diff is 10x easier. What happens is some people do not place them back on when they are done or do not tighten them enough to not move again. Me personally I tightened it all the way that I possibly could so there could be no room for it to wiggle off. If you forget to put em back on or don't tighten them enough thats where you run into problems.
Make sure your nuts are tight!!
Appreciate 0