BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

08-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Brake duct kit - Cantrell Motorsports

Road America! (sorry Brian I am going to miss VIR pit duty)

As an intermediate frequency track junkie I've decided to add ventilation to my brakes rather than go BBK. I've had good luck with track pads for the past 3 years, so for me this is the next logical step. I've run Road America two years ago and that is one place (seriously though, you need good brakes at every track) where you need to have good brakes lap after lap. This gives just a bit more security.

Cantrell motorsports kit has been shown here before so no install photos but I did add block offs since my car is daily driver and I don't want rain running up the ducts during regular use.
Attached Images

Last edited by VictorH; 08-15-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

should work great man, have a fun time up there
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Nice blocking plates.

I see you went in front of instead of between the control arms.
Let us know if you get any wear on the tubing......
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
VictorH
Major
Rep

I've had these on for the past week. The only rubbing is at full lock and it's a bit more full lock left and almost none full lock right. This past week I was running my stock 245/35/19 wheels, this weekend I switched over to my 255/35/19 track tires and it still looks okay.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looks good. Does anyone know if this routing works better or the traditional "straight beside the control arm" routing?

I removed my hoses for the street since mine were rubbing around 1 full turn either side.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile
Looks good. Does anyone know if this routing works better or the traditional "straight beside the control arm" routing?

I removed my hoses for the street since mine were rubbing around 1 full turn either side.
These are the issues that worry me as well since the wife DD's the car. How was RA and did you notice a difference with the new ducting? I love that track!
      08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
These are the issues that worry me as well since the wife DD's the car. How was RA and did you notice a difference with the new ducting? I love that track!
My last event was VIR and I did not have brake fade at any point with the ducts. Although my PS2's kept overheating in 10 minutes, so it's hard to say how much the ducts actually did.

The rubbing wasn't a huge deal, a full turn each direction is quite a bit of movement. I mainly removed it for easy parking maneuvers and bc my hoses are the expensive orange kind and i don't want to buy more $80 hose.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
My last event was VIR and I did not have brake fade at any point with the ducts. Although my PS2's kept overheating in 10 minutes, so it's hard to say how much the ducts actually did.

The rubbing wasn't a huge deal, a full turn each direction is quite a bit of movement. I mainly removed it for easy parking maneuvers and bc my hoses are the expensive orange kind and i don't want to buy more $80 hose.
Fair enough. At this stage I never get any fade (thank you Alcon) but am just trying to prolong pad life as I approach 20 events again this summer. Trying to hold out for the "perfect" solution
      08-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
VictorH
Major
Rep

Just back from day & 1/2 at Road America with my brake duct kit. First, essentially no rubbing! Only at max lock does it just rub a bit and I'm almost never there (only rarely in a parking lot). The adjustment I did to the tubing per Cantrell recommendation was to squeeze the tubing into an oval where it crosses over the lower control arm and this give a bit more clearance.

As to performance. Ran the first session with ducts blocked off to bed in the pads, and the track was moist with a threat of rain. Then took off covers and ran the rest of the event with the ducts open. Brakes were rock solid throughout every session. Heat build up was lower too. Coming in from the track the rear brakes would be pretty hot, with the usual clicking noise and a lot of heat coming off the rotors. Fronts were hot too, but much cooler by feel and no clicking noises. Overall, very effective and worthwhile addition. Can't tell about pad wear yet but would expect it to be reduced too.

Last edited by VictorH; 08-15-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Gosh, you guys must push your car harder than I do with my E92. I have never had track pads show any sign of fade, back off in performance, or any other abnormality. They have been, and remain, rock solid for the event. Now, I run agressive laps at VIR, hard and deep into the corner on the brakes a minium of four times during each lap, and my car remains confortably controlable through out the session. Additionally, I get almost a complete season out of my pads, 15 HPDEs with two to three days each.
FYI, my car is teched closely prior to each event, and any question about anything is handled fully prior to arrival at the track.
In short, I am an instructor, but mainly a chicken when driving my M3.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
VictorH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Gosh, you guys must push your car harder than I do with my E92. I have never had track pads show any sign of fade, back off in performance, or any other abnormality. They have been, and remain, rock solid for the event. Now, I run agressive laps at VIR, hard and deep into the corner on the brakes a minium of four times during each lap, and my car remains confortably controlable through out the session. Additionally, I get almost a complete season out of my pads, 15 HPDEs with two to three days each.
FYI, my car is teched closely prior to each event, and any question about anything is handled fully prior to arrival at the track.
In short, I am an instructor, but mainly a chicken when driving my M3.
vz
Doc, I think it's pretty track dependent. At Road America there are three times per lap when you're slowing from 130-140+ (depending on courage, faith in your car and whether you want to drive it 975 miles home again) for corners that vary from 40-50 (the slowest corner, like at Road Atlanta is at the bottom of a long down-hill) on the low end to 70 or so. In my experience (limited at Road America) it's a bit tougher on brakes than VIR. I've run there previously without ducting and one session that was black flagged I was perhaps 1/4 mile from track out and when I got out of the car to look/feel my brakes there were as hot as they could be without being on fire. I thought it was going to blister my paint!

Last edited by VictorH; 08-15-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0