BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Redline360
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #815
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It wasn't very expensive to run because it was/is a fairly easy bike to wrench on and most parts of the bike are easily accessible because of the way the bike is built. I had a hook-up on tires from a guy I tracked/raced with, so SC2/SC3 tires were easy to come by. Dan Kyle helped with the suspension stuff, so I was fortunate to have him 4 or 5 hours away to assist with any issues. More or less I could just jump on the 848 and go. The radiator blew, but Ducati covered that because of a service bulletin.

That bike saw the track at least twice a month, and of the 10k-ish miles that were on the bike when I sold it, at least a good 6-7k were track miles.
Hey, thanks for the rundown on that. Really not bad at all. I plan to start seriously looking at track bikes next month. Keep us posted on the S1000RR and post pics when you get her!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #816
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1760
Rep
13,630
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It wasn't very expensive to run because it was/is a fairly easy bike to wrench on and most parts of the bike are easily accessible because of the way the bike is built. I had a hook-up on tires from a guy I tracked/raced with, so SC2/SC3 tires were easy to come by. Dan Kyle helped with the suspension stuff, so I was fortunate to have him 4 or 5 hours away to assist with any issues. More or less I could just jump on the 848 and go. The radiator blew, but Ducati covered that because of a service bulletin.

That bike saw the track at least twice a month, and of the 10k-ish miles that were on the bike when I sold it, at least a good 6-7k were track miles.
Hey, thanks for the rundown on that. Really not bad at all. I plan to start seriously looking at track bikes next month. Keep us posted on the S1000RR and post pics when you get her!
Will do man. I'm looking for a 2010 Motorsports model. I'll jump on the first clean bike that I come across for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #817
Digital.James
Colonel
Digital.James's Avatar
78
Rep
2,637
Posts

Drives: GT3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (7)

Last ride before putting her away
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #818
Romo
Major
Romo's Avatar
Netherlands
633
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: HP4C, M2 LBB MT, 718GT4 maybe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands

iTrader: (0)








BMW 1M and HP4 side by side........
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #819
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
668
Rep
979
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo







BMW 1M and HP4 side by side........
awesome combo!
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #820
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1760
Rep
13,630
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post







BMW 1M and HP4 side by side........

I love it. That's my next bike (..non HP4 though).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #821
Litos
Banned
United_States
-41
Rep
2,917
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

romo made my dick hurt !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #822
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (0)

HP4 and 1M FTW!!!

And you got the sick Bursig/replica (MotoMfg?) stand for the HP4, too. Been meaning to get the Bursig for my Diavel for a while now.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #823
Sedan_Clan
Olympic Lifting Junkie
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
1760
Rep
13,630
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
romo made my dick hurt !!!!
I jacked off a few times too.......


....simply because I've ridden an HP4 and have owned ///M's. The HP4 is tits, especially on a track.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #824
Samurai of 2day
Captain
Samurai of 2day's Avatar
668
Rep
979
Posts

Drives: '16 X6 50i/'15 Duc 1299s
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

Past and current toys. You can probably tell that I am a fan of BMW, lol

Sorry for the horrible pictures. Transferring them from my phone to this forum proved difficult for my limited MS skills.... sheesh!
Attached Images
     
__________________
Too smart for my own good...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #825
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
-37
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i work car...
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Foxrus14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Last ride before putting her away
You are in NC... You should never put it away. I rode to work today...
__________________
2014 328i - Mine
2012 135i M Sport - Wifey
2014 z28 Hennessey 650 package - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #826
Litos
Banned
United_States
-41
Rep
2,917
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

what do ya'll know about a 2002 Honda CBR 954RR ??

i "might" be adding this bike to the stable....i made an offer, but we'll see if he takes it.....

i'll have a cruiser and a sport bike in the garage....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #827
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
turbolag's Avatar
-40
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have any opinions on the BMW F700 GS/RnineT as a first bike? Or any good starter bikes?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #828
Litos
Banned
United_States
-41
Rep
2,917
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Anyone have any opinions on the BMW F700 GS as a first bike? Or any good starter bikes?
my opinion on starter bikes is "what do you plan on doing with it ??"

if you just want to go on rides, stay conservative and occasionally go on a track day, get a 600 or 636.

they're light and fast enough to scare the shit out of you.

the small Ninja 250's and 300's will make your dick shrink due to the gross lack of power and true sport bike feel.

but if you want to brag about going 175mph in a straight line or you just really like going super fast (100mph in first gear on some bikes), you'll need to get a heavyweight Liter bike....

i'm opting to put a liter bike in my garage just for the novelty of saying "yeah, i got a pretty fast bike when i need it".

i really don't care for sport bikes anymore, but it's always cool to have one in the garage next to a cruiser....

if i feel like hitting 130mph in about 10 seconds, i have that option.

will i !?!? probably not.

but i like knowing that i can.....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #829
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
turbolag's Avatar
-40
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
my opinion on starter bikes is "what do you plan on doing with it ??"

if you just want to go on rides, stay conservative and occasionally go on a track day, get a 600 or 636.

they're light and fast enough to scare the shit out of you.

the small Ninja 250's and 300's will make your dick shrink due to the gross lack of power and true sport bike feel.

but if you want to brag about going 175mph in a straight line or you just really like going super fast (100mph in first gear on some bikes), you'll need to get a heavyweight Liter bike....

i'm opting to put a liter bike in my garage just for the novelty of saying "yeah, i got a pretty fast bike when i need it".

i really don't care for sport bikes anymore, but it's always cool to have one in the garage next to a cruiser....

if i feel like hitting 130mph in about 10 seconds, i have that option.

will i !?!? probably not.

but i like knowing that i can.....
I'm thinking 600-800cc sport/touring bike, acting as DD/corner carver, and I'm leaving my E90M3 for the tracking. The F800 GT/rninet both seem pretty appealing. I'm not looking for crazy power on my first bike, as I don't want to kill myself.

I'm not really looking forward to the F80 M3 as much as I was before, so I'm looking at a bike since I don't need any practicality. It'll be just a cruiser/corner carver in one.

I wonder if I should get a less powerful sport bike...600-800cc. Or go for a touring bike...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #830
Litos
Banned
United_States
-41
Rep
2,917
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm thinking 600-800cc sport/touring bike
best one i have ever personally ridden was the Yamaha FZ8.

real buzzy, great torque down low and it has a very comfortable upright sitting position.

it's a 750 so it could potentially be the last bike you ever buy - that is, unless your priorities change.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #831
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
312
Rep
912
Posts

Drives: Your mum crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baconopolos Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm thinking 600-800cc sport/touring bike, acting as DD/corner carver, and I'm leaving my E90M3 for the tracking. The F800 GT/rninet both seem pretty appealing. I'm not looking for crazy power on my first bike, as I don't want to kill myself.

I'm not really looking forward to the F80 M3 as much as I was before, so I'm looking at a bike since I don't need any practicality. It'll be just a cruiser/corner carver in one.

I wonder if I should get a less powerful sport bike...600-800cc. Or go for a touring bike...
If you are looking for a less powerful sport bike, Ninja 650 or a Yami FZ6. I love the comfort of the riding position on my 650. My previous bike was a ZX10, and it was more of a hunched ride, and sucked for long rides. The 650 allows me to sit in a normal position having raised bars that aren't tucked under the windscreen. It is also peppy enough to have fun no matter what road I am on, enough power to pop the front wheel up, and its very well mannered and balanced.

I test rode an FZ6 and I would say it was very comparable to my 650, I just preferred the looks of the 650 so that's why I went with it. I am trying to sell it because I don't ride as much, but I would suggest it for someone wanting a first "sport bike", I tend to think of it more as a crossover between a touring, really.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #832
Litos
Banned
United_States
-41
Rep
2,917
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)





Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #833
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (0)

^^

That last one is awesome Litos. It took me a little while before I was able to explore beyond the very center (slightly south of center) of the shot, but I think I've seen the background too now.

What was I talking about? Forgot...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #834
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm thinking 600-800cc sport/touring bike, acting as DD/corner carver, and I'm leaving my E90M3 for the tracking. The F800 GT/rninet both seem pretty appealing. I'm not looking for crazy power on my first bike, as I don't want to kill myself.

I'm not really looking forward to the F80 M3 as much as I was before, so I'm looking at a bike since I don't need any practicality. It'll be just a cruiser/corner carver in one.

I wonder if I should get a less powerful sport bike...600-800cc. Or go for a touring bike...
This is a good mindset to be in when looking for a first bike. I think you will do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
If you are looking for a less powerful sport bike, Ninja 650 or a Yami FZ6. I love the comfort of the riding position on my 650. My previous bike was a ZX10, and it was more of a hunched ride, and sucked for long rides. The 650 allows me to sit in a normal position having raised bars that aren't tucked under the windscreen. It is also peppy enough to have fun no matter what road I am on, enough power to pop the front wheel up, and its very well mannered and balanced.

I test rode an FZ6 and I would say it was very comparable to my 650, I just preferred the looks of the 650 so that's why I went with it. I am trying to sell it because I don't ride as much, but I would suggest it for someone wanting a first "sport bike", I tend to think of it more as a crossover between a touring, really.
Excellent advice.

My first bike was a Suzuki GS500 with 37 crank horsepower. Taught me how to corner.

My other favorite beyond what @Billup has mentioned is the SV650. I raced one and it's that versatile. From first bike to commuter to race bike, it's an awesome machine with enough power to be fun but not kill oneself.

The middleweight BMW's are cool bikes. I don't think you can go wrong with the mindset you have and anyone of these bikes.

Keep us posted, @turbolag!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #835
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
turbolag's Avatar
-40
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
This is a good mindset to be in when looking for a first bike. I think you will do well.



Excellent advice.

My first bike was a Suzuki GS500 with 37 crank horsepower. Taught me how to corner.

My other favorite beyond what @Billup has mentioned is the SV650. I raced one and it's that versatile. From first bike to commuter to race bike, it's an awesome machine with enough power to be fun but not kill oneself.

The middleweight BMW's are cool bikes. I don't think you can go wrong with the mindset you have and anyone of these bikes.

Keep us posted, @turbolag!
I'm just looking for a new DD, and an excuse to look for new experiences.

I was originally set on an F80 M3, but I ended up pretty disappointed with what I've seen so far, so I decided to look at some bikes. They seem like a visceral way of travel at low cost and great fuel efficiency, so I thought they were worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #836
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
ddk632's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
2,252
Posts

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aventura, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm just looking for a new DD, and an excuse to look for new experiences.

I was originally set on an F80 M3, but I ended up pretty disappointed with what I've seen so far, so I decided to look at some bikes. They seem like a visceral way of travel at low cost and great fuel efficiency, so I thought they were worth considering.
True. Bikes are awesome.

You'd still have a car, so on the days you don't feel like taking the bike you'd have another option. Otherwise it can become a chore except for the most die-hard bikers.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST