BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #23
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Id like to have some input as I was in a similar situation. I actually just traded my '14 BRZ for an '11 E92. A bit weird to think about as your going backwards in terms of years and newness of a vehicle but I don't regret in one bit.

One of the main points for me is in terms of longevity and how much I will enjoy the car years down the line.

The BRZ was fantastic in terms of styling and handling but did lack a fair bit in the power department. I also spent a fair share of money in modifications to get it the way I wanted to look/sound (suspension, wheels, exhaust)
With the new/old M3 equipped with the ZCP and already outstanding wheels, mods will be kept to a bare minimum (fingers crossed) as it just looks fantastic OEM.
The M3 is something I can see holding on to for more than couple of years due to the engine, overall aesthetic, and sort of feeling you get when you drive the vehicle.

Long story short is get the M3 even if it doesn't have that new car sensation, I feel you will be more satisfied with that decision. You are in a M3 forum as well to so I cant see much opinion going for the Subaru lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I've owned two Evos and they are great cars. Very fast on track, easy to maintain and modify if you want to increase performance.

But if you are not going to the race track and worried about lap times, the M3 is a better all around car.

And Evo > STI in terms of performance any day. Subaru STI always tend to be softer and more comfort oriented than the hardcore Evo. And the STI 2.5L engine is really delicate compared to the bulletproof Evo if you want to increase power.
      10-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #25
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
When you see what a stock M3 does to a well modded STI, you'll feel stupid.

M3. All Day.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

STi? not even close go M3
      10-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #27
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Never spend much time with the 2014 STi but I got a 2011 E92 M3 DCT with ZCP and 2015 Subaru STi.

I wouldn't say the M3's ride quality is comfortable, but the STi is harsher than the M3. Steering and handling feels more direct in the STi, the whole car feels more brutal(low end torque is pretty good in the STI, and 6MT feels great too) and less civil compared to the M3.

Personally I think the STI is more fun to drive then the M3, more nimble and straight forward, I feel more in control of the car when I'm driving the STI and feel more comfortable pushing it a little further. STI also feels more powerful than the M3 in lower RPMs, but that's the way it's suppose to be. Interior and electronics feels ancient in the STI, and the extensive use of plastic does make it feel cheap.

Fun, depends on what kind of fun you like, I would say the STI is a little more fun than the M3, I also feel more engaged when driving the STI

Luxury, no contest, M3

Overall, I'd take the M3 over STI if that's my only car, I hate spending hours behind the wheel of the STI, it's that uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #28
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Id like to have some input as I was in a similar situation. I actually just traded my '14 BRZ for an '11 E92. A bit weird to think about as your going backwards in terms of years and newness of a vehicle but I don't regret in one bit.

One of the main points for me is in terms of longevity and how much I will enjoy the car years down the line.

The BRZ was fantastic in terms of styling and handling but did lack a fair bit in the power department. I also spent a fair share of money in modifications to get it the way I wanted to look/sound (suspension, wheels, exhaust)
With the new/old M3 equipped with the ZCP and already outstanding wheels, mods will be kept to a bare minimum (fingers crossed) as it just looks fantastic OEM.
The M3 is something I can see holding on to for more than couple of years due to the engine, overall aesthetic, and sort of feeling you get when you drive the vehicle.

Long story short is get the M3 even if it doesn't have that new car sensation, I feel you will be more satisfied with that decision. You are in a M3 forum as well to so I cant see much opinion going for the Subaru lol.
I'm actually thinking about doing the opposite, trading my M3 for a FR-S sometimes in the future.

The only thing that's holding me back is this rumored more powerful version of FR-S, with 250+ HP, better brakes, and lighter weight.

Once they release that I will probably say good bye to my E92
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

I like to work on cars, but the M3 has really robbed me of this. Other than oil changes, and some minor installs like exhaust and intake. I really dont want to mess with something this expensive, this sensitive (engine bearings) and this perfect already.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a used 2013 EVO found one for around 26k. I could work on it, modify it without fear! Plus I would save around 13k since I still owe around 40k on the M3. However I cant pull the trigger because every time I am about to do it I go for a drive in my M3 and I think what am I doing??!! Plus everyone I ask says WHAT?? Your crazy! it sure seems like a big step down for just a savings of 13k.

STI would be allot of fun! If your more of a mechanic go that route...IMOP. If you want a legend that gets allot of attention, and everyone thinks is amazing get the M3.

Last edited by Sinful; 10-05-2014 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0