BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wheels and Tires Items

EXXEL Distributions

03-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

OT...Wheel Shipping Surcharges

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
OT...but those that sell/buy/ship wheels like handbags, did you guys know there was a ~special handeling charge~ with some carriers. I go through my various sets and sold a set of winters back in October and never got charged a surcharge for the longest I can remember.

I do the usual clean the wheel, cardboard on both faces of the wheel and then use the saran wrap and wrap like no tomorrow. Usually takes me on average 2 hrs to pack a set of 4 wheels......

Go figure but I recently sold a set of wheel/tire combos...and got a 2nd invoice after it was received by the recipient with a special handling surcharge. Turns out UPS is charging a special handling charge if the wheel is not on a fully enclosed corrugated box.

Just some 411..so ya'll should account this into your shipping price so you don't take a loss on shipping FWIW...

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Thanks. What was the carrier? And was it because it was a residential address?
      03-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
chefwong
Captain
Rep

UPS was the carrier. Commercial address. The idiot thing is they decided to re-bill me a additional surcharge on 3 tires and not 4....duh

But, it's outlined in their policy that if tires are not in a full corrugated cardboard, there will be a special handling charge per each tire.

I never knew this or just have been lucky. Had I know this though, I would def. incorporate this into the shipping fee so I would not have to absorb on the costs. Lessons learned.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
UPS was the carrier. Commercial address. The idiot thing is they decided to re-bill me a additional surcharge on 3 tires and not 4....duh

But, it's outlined in their policy that if tires are not in a full corrugated cardboard, there will be a special handling charge per each tire.

I never knew this or just have been lucky. Had I know this though, I would def. incorporate this into the shipping fee so I would not have to absorb on the costs. Lessons learned.
Thats crap, shipped four tires/rims with fedex was cheaper and far easier. Just cardboard and packaging tape.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
chefwong
Captain
Rep

I prefer FedEx -- when we ship air packages.

But anything going ground, I prefer UPS. FedEx Ground is a joke IMO. They are franchises, quality control is amiss and if memory serves me right, FedEx Ground does not deliver packages on Mondays. The upside is that the do deliver on Saturdays as normal operating hours.
Appreciate 0