BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Anyone else get the "Transm. malfunction" screen before the 1200 mile service?!?

Long story but trying to make it as detailed as I can...

Yesterday evening was leaving my neighborhood (residential street to big street). I literally just stepped on the gas gently & the car only went 4-5 feet then all of a sudden the engine turned off (killed the motor) WHEN THERE WAS A CAR APPROACHING AT 45-50 MPH!!! By the time my car stopped, I was semi-sideways perpendicular to the right most lane & seriously thought I was going to get t-boned w/only having the car for 24-hours. I tried as fast as I could to turn on the engine but I literally had 2-3 seconds to turn on the car & get out of his lane...Luckily, the guy slammed on his brakes on time & by the time he stopped sliding forward, his car was about 5-7 feet from my driver's side door. WTF DCT?!?

I canceled my plans & went straight to the dealership. On the way there while turning left (in the middle of the turn) from a standstill shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the rpm's jumped from around 2k-7k'ish & the dreaded "Transm. malfunction" screen popped up on the nav. screen (same one others are getting when dealership replaces DCT oil @ 1200 mile service). You know the one that also says,

"Limited gear selection possible.
Continued driving is possible.
Drive moderately.
Have the system checked
at dealership."

After reading other owner's experience about this, I remembered some of you saying just pull over & turn the car off, wait a few mins then start it up again (it should go away if it's really just a software glitch). I did this & got back on the streets to try to replicate this problem. Sure enough, I was able to do this after the 3rd or 4th turn just driving normally. All I could do was go from an even gear to an even gear (or odd gear to odd gear). Got to the dealership & talked to both my CA as well as their best service advisor/tech shop foreman (something like that). He says if it's a software glitch then I shouldn't have a "Service Engine Soon" icon in the gauge cluster the next time I turn on the car. BUT, if it's a hardware issue then it's the opposite. Since I didn't have the "Service Engine Soon" icon pop up I figured I should just be extra cautious & see how it goes.

To make a long story as short as I can, I drove to a nearby (1.5-2 miles away) area for dinner...IT DIED ON ME AGAIN IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY AT THE RESTAURANT I WAS GOING TO!!! Started her up again & parked it since the dealership was closed by the time I originally got there. Told myself I'll just bring it in tomorrow. THEN on the way home, I kept on having the "Transm. malfuction" screen & the skipping of gears continued. Drove as tenderly as I could home (4-5 miles) EVENTUALLY THE "Service Engine Soon" appear on the gauge cluster...then it went away after I turned it off...then on again...then off again everytime I started the car up...WTF BMW?!?

Has anyone else had this problem before the 1200 mile service or is it just my bad luck as usual? Keep in mind, I only had ~120 miles on the odometer when all this started happening & I'm following the break-in procedure (shift less than 5500 rpm & non-aggressive driving). This is really disappointing...I was on a natural high since this is my 1st true sports car in years (had it for 24-hrs) & also I love the new wheels & tires I had mounted yet this is happening...now, I'm really bummed out. I never had an issue w/SMG2 w/my old e46 M3. Any help/info would be appreciated before I head over to the dealership, thx! Sigh...

Update #1: Scheduled to drop off the M3 at dealership on Friday. Top service advisor said he's expecting a new DCT re-flash available that day or early next week. Hopefully, it's just a software issue but I'm starting to have my doubts. Argh!!!...

Update #2: Just drove around my neighborhood & then onto main streets since there are no cars on the road...NOW THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" ICON IS ON PERMANENTLY NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TURN OFF THEN ON THE ENGINE!!! Also, I don't remember if it was there yesterday or not but tonight on the nav. screen it says, "Increased emissions!" for the first few seconds when turning on the car. Also every single time I turn on the car I get the, "Transm. malfunction" screen eventually within 1-2 mins of driving then the skipping of gears (if it even allows me to shift at all) starts. It drives fine before the, "Transm. malfunction" screen pops up though. Then again, I'm no mechanic/tech. Sigh...

Update #3: Just got a call from the service advisor & he said they noticed there was a little bit of oil leaking so it turns out there's a bad O-ring (they have a new one in-stock) that was manufactured in the DCT. Thus, there wasn't enough pressure to physically shift the gears (or something along those lines he said) & the reason why almost everytime I hit the paddles there was no gear shifting. There is no damage to the DCT other than the bad O-ring however they have to replace the DCT oil fluid which as you all know isn't the same as a regular 6MT oil fluid. He's going to call on Monday to make sure one of the national warehouses has this oil in stock then have it shipped overnight & if everything goes according to plan I should be able to get the car back on Tuesday. I hope this is the situation & nothing more. On a good note, they gave me a 750Li as a loaner.

Final Update: Picked up the M3 yesterday mid-day & everything runs fine now, phew! Dealership was suppose to get the M-DCT oil/fluid this past Tuesday since it was to be overnighted on Monday. However, it didn't arrive until Friday afternoon due to the fact it came directly from Germany & it contained biohazardous material (BMW NA only has 2 storage contrainers nationwide or something like that the service advisor said). The problem was just like I said earlier...O-ring was crushed and/or manufacturered incorrectly thus it cause a loss of pressure so gearshifts weren't possible. While the car was at the dealership waiting for the fluid this whole week, a high ranking engineer from BMW NA came by to make sure nothing else was wrong w/the transmission & rest of the car. The dealership wanted to make sure this issue was handled as careful as possible thus the shop foreman was the only one who worked on the car. They didn't even have to take apart the transmission to replace the O-ring. All they had to do was take off one small undertray & replace the O-ring (on transmission oil line of some sort). I've driven it for roughly 90-miles & have tried to replicate the issues but thankfully I haven't been able to. I'd like to thank Classic BMW & Patrick Arnold (Service Advisor) for such a professional job since I was really getting impatient (when I picked up yesterday, I've owned it for 11-days & outta those 11-days, the car was in the shop for 8-days).

'17 95B GTS

Last edited by Nucking Futs!; 06-29-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
What a shitty experience. But by the sound of it this doesn't look good.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

Sorry to hear. Watch the dealer blame on the new rims/tires...that would suck.

I had my car for almost a week and for about 450 miles. No problem as of yet. Hopefully, it's nothing serious for you.
      06-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
Sorry to hear. Watch the dealer blame on the new rims/tires...that would suck.

I had my car for almost a week and for about 450 miles. No problem as of yet. Hopefully, it's nothing serious for you.
Your not the first to post problems after a wheel change... I am not sure if there are wheel sensors like the GTR (I think there are just PSI sensors) but this is one reason why GTR owners are having problems with aftermarket wheels.
      06-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Take that in to the dealer for sure. OR switch back to your stock wheels and try again. Keep us updated.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
e92OMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: soon to be 08 M3

My engine killed twice driving around testing the cars power. First time i drove it hard around a corner and it shut off. Second time i was in shock cuz i was driving home normally. I read that this happened to some other guys on the forum so i just dident drive it for a couple of hours.

That night i drove it just like i did as a test. Everything worked fine .

Oh btw i got the service engine soon sign when it shut off aswell but it went away as soon as i started the car back up again. Oh and i also had around 150 miles on my car when this happend.

Hope everything works out for you.

Im loven her every second

Last edited by e92OMG; 06-19-2008 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Added somthing
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quick update:

Was gonna drop it off today but they didn't have a loaner available since it was too late in the day (I didn't make an appointment so understandable). Thus, gonna drop off tomorrow. Service advisor said there's suppose to be a new DCT DME (ecu) re-flash available either tomorrow or early next week & hopefully that'll cure the software glitches. I just hope it's not a hardware/mechanical issue.

Thx for the pep talk guys/gals. It's quite depressing having a brand new car for 24-hrs then it becomes un-driveable. I haven't driven it today yet since I have a daily driver but will do so later tonight when there are less vehicles on the road just in case the tranny goes out on me again. Sigh...

'17 95B GTS

Last edited by Nucking Futs!; 06-26-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep us updated. I'm anxious to see how wide-spread of a problem this is for DCT owners. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's an easy fix!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red

I was so tempted to get a DCT M3, but am so glad I got a 6mt after seeing all the problems.

I sure hope you guys get your cars sorted soon. it sucks not being able to drive them.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Hopefully the ECU flash will take car of it
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Thx again guys/gals for the support. Just got home & kinda tired but I'm about to upload pics of my new wheels & tires. Gimme a few mins here. Then I'm gonna take out the beast for a quick spin to see if the prob is still there which I'm sure it'll be.

PS: IMO, it's a hit or miss w/1st year models and/or new technology. FWIW, I never had a prob w/my old e46 M3 w/smg2.

'17 95B GTS

Last edited by Nucking Futs!; 06-26-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Subscribing to this thread. Sucks to hear your story. Here's hoping they get all the bugs out of the DCT.
      06-20-2008, 01:42 AM   #13
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Update #2:

Just drove around my neighborhood & then onto main streets since there are no cars on the road...NOW THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" ICON IS ON PERMANENTLY NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TURN OFF THEN ON THE ENGINE!!! Also, I don't remember if it was there yesterday or not but tonight on the nav. screen it says, "Increased emissions!" for the first few seconds when turning on the car. Also every single time I turn on the car I get the, "Transm. malfunction" screen eventually within 1-2 mins of driving then the skipping of gears (if it even allows me to shift at all) starts. It drives fine before the, "Transm. malfunction" screen pops up though. Then again, I'm no mechanic/tech. Sigh...

This sucks! The dealership will probably keep my car over the weekend since I don't think they'll be able to resolve this problem within a day.

'17 95B GTS

Last edited by Nucking Futs!; 06-26-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wait ... why are you driving it around? I think you've proven that there's a problem. Take it easy on her.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Wait ... why are you driving it around? I think you've proven that there's a problem. Take it easy on her.
Don't worry I took it easy on her & I only drove around for 2-3 miles max last night. I read others were having the, "Transm. malfunction" screen & "Service Engine Soon" appear & then disappear randomly so I wanted to see if mine was in the same situation or not...It's not since I got both to permanently appear within 1-2 minutes of driving every single time last night.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Wow this is not good news for DCT owners. Keep us updated.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
Don't worry I took it easy on her & I only drove around for 2-3 miles max last night. I read others were having the, "Transm. malfunction" screen & "Service Engine Soon" appear & then disappear randomly so I wanted to see if mine was in the same situation or not...It's not since I got both to permanently appear within 1-2 minutes of driving every single time last night.
Ah ok. Cool cool ... was just wondering. I hope I don't see that stupid warning.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I hope that it is just a minor glitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

This sucks, wishing you all the best in finding a prompt resolution.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #20
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

That is definitely a DCT horror story. Hope it goes okay...let us know.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #21
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

It sounds like the techs/mechanics don't know what they're doing.

It seems like a lot of dealerships don't have mechanics that are knowledgable in fixing these new DCT transmissions on the M3.

What's the deal?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #22
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
It sounds like the techs/mechanics don't know what they're doing.

It seems like a lot of dealerships don't have mechanics that are knowledgable in fixing these new DCT transmissions on the M3.

What's the deal?
DCT is brand new and now is the stage when BMW and dealerships have to endure the growing pains. It is an unfortunate reality.
Appreciate 0