BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

06-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #551
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Just curious, what was the condition of your old bearings? Your previous UOAs showed excellent wear. My pedestrian Honda Accord spewed more metals into the oil, and that thing never revs higher than 3000rpm.
At 86k miles, they don't look too bad compare to others that have posted here and wore pretty evenly. I chose to change it at that time was because I noticed a shift in my engine oil temp, coolant temp, and oil pressure. Not because of the reports. Here was my thread on it:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074496

Last edited by e92zero; 06-29-2015 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #552
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I just found your rod bearing change thread, they looked like they have another 100K left in them. I wonder if a lighter oil in the early days could've prevented those wear.

Kudos to changing the the bearings yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #553
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
I just found your rod bearing change thread, they looked like they have another 100K left in them. I wonder if a lighter oil in the early days could've prevented those wear.

Kudos to changing the the bearings yourself.
Thanks, the pictures don't pick up/show the details. It wears very evenly but it's clear that they are at different layer of material already at the wear locations. With the raise in the temp and drop in oil pressure, I don't think it can last more than 20k but guess no one will ever know. At least this way, it's a lot cheaper and I can control the down time of my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #554
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

Here's my most recent Blackstone Report. I added about 2.5L of oil in a span of ~4K miles. I decided to switch to LiquiMoly.. so far so good. I think my mechanic might've underfilled the first time around which is why I probably needed to add more oil.

Engine was at 125K when this test was done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #555
E46XITOE92M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 E92 Bmw M3 Engine Oil Analysis

I am very excited to say that my first engine oil analysis came back with good results. I will be uploading my second report after another three thousand miles, also I will be uploading the other fluids that should be analyzed. (Transmission Fluid,Differential Fluid,Gasoline,Transfer Case Fluid).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #556
UNCbigM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Okay, let's see if I can break m3post.com with this oil analysis:

Let me give you some background... Car purchased 11/2014 (2/2011 build) with ~49k mi. When I had PPI done I had the BMW dealer go ahead and change oil, so OEM 10w60. Car had no obvious signs of abuse/wear etc at PPI. No signs of being tracked. I put approximately 7k miles on the car, no track, 4 autox days, and just had the oil changed by my local dealer (~56k mi.) so I could stick with OEM one more time to compare analysis before switching to LiquiMoly. The above report is the result.

I find it interesting that they mention not knowing what problems I'm having because the answer is NONE. The car drives, performs and sounds beautifully; I did the analysis for a baseline.

More color: When the oil change was done the dealer forgot to fill the sample and called me. I asked if they could get anything at all, even anything out of the filter. The service advisor physically cut open the filter housing and squeezed about 1/2" of oil into the sample container with his hand on the filter element. Again, results above.

My first reaction after my heart sank was that my engine appears to be a ticking time bomb. I called and spoke to BS yesterday and they said don't freak out just yet after explaining the situation with the filter. Some contamination could have occurred from that process with cutting etc, but some of the metals are still concerning (and the silicone). They suggested getting another sample in about 4k miles to compare. So, for now, I guess I'll cross my fingers and do just that.

Okay, now go ahead and tell me to replace my bearings, pistons, shafts etc now before it blows...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #557
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

I think you answered your own question. Your oil sample was tainted so perhaps drive it and do a test in couple of thousand miles...
      07-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #558
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCbigM View Post
I asked if they could get anything at all, even anything out of the filter. The service advisor physically cut open the filter housing and squeezed about 1/2" of oil into the sample container with his hand on the filter element.
The same happened with my dealer, same result except super high lead copper and iron.
That was a couple of years ago and its still running fine.
Your analysis is pretty much useless unfortunately (as was mine).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #559
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Okay, let's see if I can break m3post.com with this oil analysis:

Let me give you some background... Car purchased 11/2014 (2/2011 build) with ~49k mi. When I had PPI done I had the BMW dealer go ahead and change oil, so OEM 10w60. Car had no obvious signs of abuse/wear etc at PPI. No signs of being tracked. I put approximately 7k miles on the car, no track, 4 autox days, and just had the oil changed by my local dealer (~56k mi.) so I could stick with OEM one more time to compare analysis before switching to LiquiMoly. The above report is the result.

I find it interesting that they mention not knowing what problems I'm having because the answer is NONE. The car drives, performs and sounds beautifully; I did the analysis for a baseline.

More color: When the oil change was done the dealer forgot to fill the sample and called me. I asked if they could get anything at all, even anything out of the filter. The service advisor physically cut open the filter housing and squeezed about 1/2" of oil into the sample container with his hand on the filter element. Again, results above.

My first reaction after my heart sank was that my engine appears to be a ticking time bomb. I called and spoke to BS yesterday and they said don't freak out just yet after explaining the situation with the filter. Some contamination could have occurred from that process with cutting etc, but some of the metals are still concerning (and the silicone). They suggested getting another sample in about 4k miles to compare. So, for now, I guess I'll cross my fingers and do just that.

Okay, now go ahead and tell me to replace my bearings, pistons, shafts etc now before it blows...
After looking into your BS report , I thought that's really interesting because...
Your are stating that your car is build in "2/2011" and the BS report shows lots of aluminium .
From of what I know BMW changed the lead bearings into alumumiun bearings only from "5/2011" and your report shows lots of aluminium .
So is it possible that your car had a replaced engine (rebuild engine by BMW) with the aluminium bearings ?
Note : I'm not sure about my statement but this is how it looks like .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #560
UNCbigM
Private First Class
Rep

I guess to break the board I would have needed to leave the explanation off and just post the report...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #561
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

forget bearings, replace your idiotic SA....squeezing oil from probably the dirtiest source?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #562
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
forget bearings, replace your idiotic SA....squeezing oil from probably the dirtiest source?
+1... you shouldve just saved the Oil Analysis for next time... hope you get much better and much more accurate results next time.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #563
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Talking

Looking great at 77k miles! Definitely a relief to see the good words and numbers from the guys at Blackstone, especially with some of the threads you see here on M3post. I hope that, in the end, it's proven to be an assembly error (or some other variable) that ends up in failure in a very small percentage of our cars.

Always have used 10w60, and I drive it hard, high in the rev range, every chance I get. Daily driver, half highway, half city streets, a handful of track days over the past 3 years (I bought it in June 2012), and plenty of flogging on rural backroads. Plan to keep winding it out for many years to come!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #564
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

I really searched this (both google and within the thread) so sorry if this is already posted, but here it goes:

For a 2008 E90 M3:

1. Is there a good way to collect a sample without doing an oil change? I don't have a lift or anything and I'm not mechanically inclined, so if there is a step-by-step process somewhere I would love to see it.

2. If I need to change the oil, would the dealer be likely to get the sample for me? Or is the only safe bet to do it myself?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #565
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Best bet is to drain the front sump because only a little bit of oil will drain, and it's easier to get to. Unless you want to get a sample from the oil filter housing, but then you'll compromise the rubber seal.

Some dealer tech will forget to get you a sample, and try to make it up by getting the oil from questionable sources that will render the sample useless. This is also your only bet of course if you trust your dealer. You may have to emphasize to your SA that you need a sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
I really searched this (both google and within the thread) so sorry if this is already posted, but here it goes:

For a 2008 E90 M3:

1. Is there a good way to collect a sample without doing an oil change? I don't have a lift or anything and I'm not mechanically inclined, so if there is a step-by-step process somewhere I would love to see it.

2. If I need to change the oil, would the dealer be likely to get the sample for me? Or is the only safe bet to do it myself?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #566
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post

For a 2008 E90 M3:

Thank you!
Drain the oil filter and take a sample from that. Just be sure to refill with fresh oil the amount you drained.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #567
UNCbigM
Private First Class
Rep

I have contemplated simply unscrewing the drain plug slowly until it begins to drip out slowly and collect a sample this way and then simply tighten back once done. I would if course clean the plug first since it will be running off it.

Also, whenever I've done an oil change I've always removed the filter last. Under what is said above removing the filter without draining oil won't cause it to all drain?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #568
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
I have contemplated simply unscrewing the drain plug slowly until it begins to drip out slowly and collect a sample this way and then simply tighten back once done. I would if course clean the plug first since it will be running off it.

Also, whenever I've done an oil change I've always removed the filter last. Under what is said above removing the filter without draining oil won't cause it to all drain?
Filter is on top of the motor unlike most others and has it's own drain plug. Not a lot in there compared to the sump.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #569
UNCbigM
Private First Class
Rep

Didn't know that since I sent mine to dealer for my first oil change with it. Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #570
ncviz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
After looking into your BS report , I thought that's really interesting because...
Your are stating that your car is build in "2/2011" and the BS report shows lots of aluminium .
From of what I know BMW changed the lead bearings into alumumiun bearings only from "5/2011" and your report shows lots of aluminium .
So is it possible that your car had a replaced engine (rebuild engine by BMW) with the aluminium bearings ?
Note : I'm not sure about my statement but this is how it looks like .
I'm pretty sure the build for that change is 9/2010. Whether or not it going to show more aluminum vs lead don't know. My last report showed some increase in lead, and I have that first build with aluminum. I'll post my results when I get a chance. Probably going to let another cycle get tested before I'm thinking of having the shop do anything. I'll keep an eye on the temps and pressure though.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #571
ncviz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90

Here's mine. Definitely start keeping an eye on it. Just as a reference I do track quite a bit. About 30 track days since buying her in May last year.

Last edited by ncviz; 07-22-2015 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: add to text
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #572
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

how do you do 30 track days from May to July?

Additive pack is also abnormally high for TWS.
Appreciate 0