BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Is this bearings noise?

I noticed a really weird noise coming from my engine earlier this evening. It was much louder during the first start up, then I closed the engine and I decided to take a video for the second start up. The noise was still there although not as loud as the first time. The car was sitting for about 45 mins-1hour in +8C weather after about a 30 minute drive in -10C weather.

It was the first time I heard a noise like this coming from the engine and I think the only reason I noticed it was because I had my door open, otherwise I wouldn't have heard it inside the cabin.

The first thought that came to my head was, of course, bearings, but I'm no car expert. This is pure speculation based on the most common problem with M3 engines. I have no clue what an engine with bearings issues sounds like. I know the M3 has a normal ticking (VANOS) noise but this sounds like something extra mechanical is happening. I drove for about 30 minutes (25km) afterwards and the noise was gone. Car didn't feel any different than before (although I had just gotten the 240E update so drivability was significantly improved - could this have something to do with it??). Stopped and started up again, no more noise.

My car is a 2008 E92 with just under 98,000 km (61,000 miles), bone stock. The car has been bulletproof. No major warranty repairs or problems of any kind. Car has an aftermarket warranty for about another year which covers pretty much everything except consumables.

My question to you guys is am I being overly paranoid about this noise (bearings issues) or do you think my engine will blow up tomorrow (lol)?

I appreciate all of your input.

The noise can be mainly heard at 0:20-0:25 and 1:20+, although it was present throughout the entire video.

See 0:08 and 0:37 in the video below:

Last edited by Ggeezer; 02-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: clarified
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASM3
I noticed a really weird noise coming from my engine earlier this evening. It was much louder during the first start up, then I closed the engine and I decided to take a video for the second start up. The noise was still there although not as loud as the first time. The car was sitting for about 45 mins-1hour in +8C weather after about a 30 minute drive in -10C weather.

It was the first time I heard a noise like this coming from the engine and I think the only reason I noticed it was because I had my door open, otherwise I wouldn't have heard it inside the cabin.

The first thought that came to my head was, of course, bearings, but I'm no car expert. This is pure speculation based on the most common problem with M3 engines. I have no clue what an engine with bearings issues sounds like. I know the M3 has a normal ticking (VANOS) noise but this sounds like something extra mechanical is happening. I drove for about 30 minutes (25km) afterwards and the noise was gone. Car didn't feel any different than before (although I had just gotten the 240E update so drivability was significantly improved - could this have something to do with it??). Stopped and started up again, no more noise.

My car is a 2008 E92 with just under 98,000 km (61,000 miles), bone stock. The car has been bulletproof. No major warranty repairs or problems of any kind. Car has an aftermarket warranty for about another year which covers pretty much everything except consumables.

My question to you guys is am I being overly paranoid about this noise (bearings issues) or do you think my engine will blow up tomorrow (lol)?

I appreciate all of your input.

The noise can be mainly heard at 0:20-0:25 and 1:20+, although it was present throughout the entire video.

Your engine sounds healthy for an S65. The noise you are hearing is a combination of injector noise and valve train noise.
      02-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds normal to me

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Normal, its the valves (and a very BMW-esque sound) mine sounds exactly the same. When you hear the S85 engine (on E60 M5) its even more apparent.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the responses guys. I know what the valves sound like and that's not the noise I was referring to. The valve noise sounds normal but listen carefully at 22 seconds and at exactly 1:21 and on and you'll hear something sounding a little different.

I'll be taking my car out in a little bit and I'll be on the lookout to see if it makes the noise again.

I was with a friend at the time and we both agreed that something was sounding a little off. I'll post back with updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The thing about failing engine bearings is that if they are making a noise, they would get louder pretty quickly and you would be just a few miles away from total failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Sound normal IMO. Hope there's no issues.
      02-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Sounds just like mine.
      02-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I don't hear nothing... they all sound like that...with different subtle sounds originating from different areas at different times. The more you listen to this engine and the more you read about bearing and connection rod clearance issues the more you will think its about to blow up. I know, because I did that too...lol In fact I ended up getting a blackstone oil analysis just in case...and everything was healthy as a horse...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yeah, thanks for the responses. I just probably never paid attention before but there was a very loud noise at the time. I hope it's normal. I'm fully aware that the M3 makes all kinds of clunks and noises but this really stood out to me.

The noise was there again yesterday. It's definitely more noticeable at cold start but I still need your opinions on it. I have my Blackstone kit ready to go for my next oil change. I only have about 6,000km on the oil so far so I'd rather wait a little longer.

I took another video and the noise is much clearer this time (sounds very metallic). It's present all throughout the video, starts at 8 seconds and then you hear it even louder at 37 seconds but it's there the entire time.

What do you think?

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

From what I have heard of engine bearing problems you need a knocking or clunking noise that increases as your RPM increases. Not what you are hearing...which is a loud M3 performance engine..

Something like this POS...of course this one is already shot.......oil report will verify or give you cause for concern.

Last edited by M3-S65; 02-09-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0