BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
blade87
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 Sapphire Black Metallic

M3 Frozen Black Enquiries on Cleaning/Waxxing

Hey guys I am new to the this forum which is bad as I am proud owner of my third M powered car .

ive been trying to find some remedies on Frozen Paint especially Black.I currently have the BMW Special Matte Products and they are pretty good .

Started using the Chemical guys products and I must say it is not bad as well.

For some reason my car has a strange shine to it and I am unable to sort it out. I will post some pictures soon but I wanted to check from experience here what are the best products used. ive resprayed the left side of the car due to some moron slamming his door open and it dented the door/ Had to respray the full left side "DIsadvantage of having a black car especially matte ..."

1.BMW ( shampoo is OK , Cleaner is weird but works , Nano wax is the best)
2.SwissWax
3.Chemical Guys(SHampoo is quite soapy compared to BMW , Detailer gives a really nice dull matte finish)
4.NanoLex
5.Dr.Beasleys

will wait for some answers from the members here.Really sorry if this is a duplicated post.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

I like Dr. Beasley's matte shampoo but tend to go through them quite quickly. Their quick detailer is also very good and leaves a nice matte finish - good to have on hand for cleaning any bird poop and bugs from the front bumper.

I just waxed the car using the BMW Nano wax a few weeks ago and cleaned the paint using the BMW cleaner. Agreed that the cleaner is weird but works. I had kind of neglected my paint over winter but a little bit of elbow grease, with a damp microfiber + BMW cleaner got rid of most of the paint contaminants.

We've had a little bit of rain here lately so I was able to put the wax to the test and can honestly say it works just like the wax on a regular paint. The hydrophobic properties are phenomenal - water just beads right off the car if you're driving 50km/h+. I will give it some time to see how it "protects against the elements" since it is too early to tell. I probably waited too late to re-apply the wax since I had last waxed it (7 months) so the paint had more contaminants than I would have expected had I waxed more regularly. Going to try to aim for once/month or once/1.5 months to keep the paint looking fresh through summer.

I also bought a gallon of Chemical Guys matte detailer but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
edu09
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2022 GT3, 2022 SF90

Garage List
2022 FERRARI SF90  [10.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2022 PORSCHE 992 GT3  [10.00]
Agree with Ggeezer, i use Dr.Beasley shampoo, cleaner, sealant and matte final finish but i use this final finish to clean stains rather than as a final coat, for a final coat I use the bmw matte nano wax, i apply this wax every 1.5 months and keeps the paint surface smooth as new and wash my car every week
      05-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Chewbaccam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Frozen Grey

Frozen Grey owner here- I used Dr. Beasley's for washing the car, I have the Chemical Brother's matte detailing spray for touch ups and for removing stuff like bird poop, and I use the BMW matte nano wax for protection. The wax I just use to provide a layer between things like bugs/sap/bird poop- makes the cleaning process much easier to deal with.

I'm a bit curious, how much did it cost to respray? I know the bumper will probably have to get a respray someday, but I'm a bit afraid to ask how much that would cost haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
blade87
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaccam View Post
Frozen Grey owner here- I used Dr. Beasley's for washing the car, I have the Chemical Brother's matte detailing spray for touch ups and for removing stuff like bird poop, and I use the BMW matte nano wax for protection. The wax I just use to provide a layer between things like bugs/sap/bird poop- makes the cleaning process much easier to deal with.

I'm a bit curious, how much did it cost to respray? I know the bumper will probably have to get a respray someday, but I'm a bit afraid to ask how much that would cost haha.
I got the left side resprayed at the BMW Dealer due to a cab slamming his door open on my ride (Insurance paid a good 5000USD for the respray along with replacing one door as agency repairs don't repair they just replace).

Ive had the car for a year now. The problem is the previous owner did not take good care of the paint as there are swirl marks on the trunk due to bad cloths when drying the car. Old Coat vs new coat will always be a problem especially on Frozen Black(you will always find a color difference and the flaws).

Last week gave my ride to the valet parking in a prestigious Hotel here in Dubai. Guess what, AC water dropped on the pain and left Nice 5 lines of Water scaling which made me really give up on the paint.

I've decided to repsray the car soon but not sure whether I should follow the Lime rock path or the Atlantis Blue path :P.

However, Im going to try a simple touch up by sanding down the whole car and giving her a new matte clear coat ( it may restore the whole look of the car but I can only find out by sacrificing a minimum of 2k .

Has anyone here done any wetsanding -> matte re-clear coats?

May I add the weather here reaches out to highs of 50C.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #6
blade87
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Some Pics of the car after the nanowax:

the resprayed sidewhich shows a color difference vs the rest of the car)notice the rear bumper and sideskirt
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #7
edu09
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade87 View Post
Some Pics of the car after the nanowax:

the resprayed sidewhich shows a color difference vs the rest of the car)notice the rear bumper and sideskirt
Looks good! Have you applied Dr Beasley matte sealer before the nano wax? It leaves a uniform flat sheen
      07-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
blade87
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu09 View Post
Looks good! Have you applied Dr Beasley matte sealer before the nano wax? It leaves a uniform flat sheen
Ive ordered Dr.Beasleys Matte kit + Rims Cleaners kit. Waiting for them to arrive.

Do you have any specific order to go for to achieve the best result?

I still have the BMW Nano wax (rest is almost finished).

P.S. you wouldn't have a video of the akrapovic GT4 in action. I have the evolution and want to compare sounds vs a catless x pipe
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
edu09
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade87 View Post
Ive ordered Dr.Beasleys Matte kit + Rims Cleaners kit. Waiting for them to arrive.

Do you have any specific order to go for to achieve the best result?

I still have the BMW Nano wax (rest is almost finished).

P.S. you wouldn't have a video of the akrapovic GT4 in action. I have the evolution and want to compare sounds vs a catless x pipe
these are the steps I follow:
1) wash car with DB car shampoo
2) apply DB matte paint cleanser
3) apply DB matte paint coating
4) apply DB matte final finish or BMW matte nano wax, I personally prefer the nano wax and use the matte finish only to remove hard water or gasoline stains, it works really good

here is a short video clip of my akra GT4, it is louder than the evo, I had the evo on my previous M3, also you will get some extra HP due to being

catlesshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvLfn-x0ww