BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I know I have said it over and over again but it is my strong belief that BMW is doing EVERYTHING it can to get the M-DCT available in the US M3 absolutely ASAP. The strong preference for "lazy driving" in the US demands an automatic transmission and DCT will effectively deliver an automatic like experience. DCT is also an important strategic/technology component that BMW needs to have in its flagship performance car. Audi/VW have it and very soon Mitsubishi and Nissan will have it as well. Next, it offers the performance and technlogy that many of the more hardcore folks demand. It will also likely elevate the performance of the car just that bit more above (or closer to, in some particular battles with some particular competitors) some pretty close competitors.
I completely agree
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Welcome to the Club!

Best regards, south
How much is the initiation fee? Also, is there a dress code? I'm not asking for myself or anything. It's just that I have this friend who really wants to join the 6MT club if some kind of DCT info is not released soon...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
How much is the initiation fee? Also, is there a dress code? I'm not asking for myself or anything. It's just that I have this friend who really wants to join the 6MT club if some kind of DCT info is not released soon...
Dress code is IB, although I am wavering a bit.
We always welcome new members.
      12-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
6MT Club

Quote:
No initiation fee--you actually get paid to join (by getting to drive the friggin' car sooner). I think stylish Italian clothing (Zegna, Loro Piana, Prada, Tod's, Montellasi) is a nice touch, but not mandatory. Must have two working legs/feet, and a fair amount of coordination. You should be able to feel the lightness of 40-50 lbs less mass, and the comfort of a dead nuts simple mechanism. And, the coolness of the standard transmission cooler. Not advisable to gloat over those not able to drive a stick. Left foot braking is, however, a little more difficult. Also, should not gloat over those still waiting for their cars because they want DCT.

Good luck to your friend on his decision!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-15-2007 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #27
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
No initiation fee--you actually get paid to join (by getting to drive the friggin' car sooner). I think stylish Italian clothing (Zegna, Loro Piana, Prada, Tod's, Montellasi) is a nice touch, but not mandatory. Must have two working legs/feet, and a fair amount of coordination. You should be able to feel the lightness of 40-50 lbs less mass, and the comfort of a dead nuts simple mechanism. And, the coolness of the standard transmission cooler. Not advisable to gloat over those not able to drive a stick. Left foot braking is, however, a little more difficult. Also, should not gloat over those still waiting for their cars because they want DCT.

Good luck to your friend on his decision!
Wow, you've really laid down the 6MT club constitution Greg. I'll pass it onto my friend who is waiting in the shadows to see how BMW will play this thing out.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Wow, you've really laid down the 6MT club constitution Greg. I'll pass it onto my friend who is waiting in the shadows to see how BMW will play this thing out.
Greg is too new and too recent of of a defector to author the consitution it has to be E or S - founding members
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #29
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

At this point I'd take a fucking steptronic.....jesus:sad0147:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #30
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Ahh, I see, your friend.
As Greg said (who divulged our constitution ) there's no initiation fee.
What Greg forgot to mention is the point that you have to commit yourself to help DCT drivers in case they get into technical trouble, but also without gloat.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #31
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
We should have a seperate board. m3post6mt.com
      12-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #32
southlight
Rep

We have "our own" board: M3posT.com

Best regards, south

Last edited by southlight; 12-16-2007 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #33
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I think manual is best.

Not all technologies are a good thing and my reason..............well that is a certain wee friend of ladies which buzzes and has made men all but obsolete.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #34
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

6MT club members,

While you have reason to celebrate your increasing enrollment numbers, you should exercise caution and refrain from excessive expression. There is always a (small) chance that DCT might be announced shortly and turn out to be a real kick-ass system, in which case you might end up feeling a bit behind the times and somewhat conservative. Think about it, Swamp would smoke you each time—regardless of power train losses, or gearing, tire, and driver differences. DCT will be that good. Finally, I just realized that DCT will allow me to transfer all the highly relevant PS3 F1 Championship hours I’ve logged directly to the street (I was on pole @ Silverstone the other day).

Sincerely,

Lucid, writing for "my friend" who is thinking about switching clubs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #35
southlight
Rep

Quote:
6MT club members,

While you have reason to celebrate your increasing enrollment numbers, you should exercise caution and refrain from excessive expression. There is always a (small) chance that DCT might be announced shortly and turn out to be a real kick-ass system, in which case you might end up feeling a bit behind the times and somewhat conservative. Think about it, Swamp would smoke you each time—regardless of power train losses, or gearing, tire, and driver differences. DCT will be that good. Finally, I just realized that DCT will allow me to transfer all the highly relevant PS3 F1 Championship hours I’ve logged directly to the street (I was on pole @ Silverstone the other day).

Sincerely,

Ok, you're right, I'm sorry. Say your friend he's still welcome.

sincerely, south
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #36
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Ok, you're right, I'm sorry. Say your friend he's still welcome.

sincerely, south
this is a south imposter. never has south written in smaller font nor has he ever said "sincerely." maybe ruff had him assasinated.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #37
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
this is a south imposter. never has south written in smaller font nor has he ever said "sincerely." maybe ruff had him assasinated.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #38
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
Indeed, LMAO.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #39
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
6MT club members,

Sincerely,

Our club deploys finger-print analysis for verification. Your status will be known soon enough.
      12-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #40
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Its the AARP of car clubs. You get to sit around and talk about the way things used to be. You get to complain about those young kids and their new gadgets. You put together a lobby to complain about them new fangled M5 and M6 cars to try to make them the way they used to be. Mostly its just a grump lot of people upset that the world is passing them by.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #41
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
6MT club members,

Sincerely,

There is no doubt about it that the M-DCT system will be something amazing if it's remotely as good as the one Audi has been using over the last few years and I'm kind of expecting it to be even better with such things as gear hold etc. so if you want to wait for the auto/flick the switch shift then you won't be disappointed and it will totally blow the current SMG into the weeds. And if you as solely interested in out-right performance then there is no doubt it's the way to go.

But for the sheer pleasure of driving none of these systems match a good manual and frankly I will prefer to be the 2+seconds slower around the Silverstone track in the knowledge that I will have had the bigger smile on my face and the enjoyment of a good old manual on the way home as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #42
southlight
Rep

Just wanted to say that I'm back. 3 hours of caution is enough. As mentioned, this just isn't me.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #43
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

If I had a shiteload of cash it would be great to have 2 x m3's. I have really loved my manuals; but I also want to have a dual clutch tranny and do the track thing. <sigh> And I do want to join the 21st century

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 12-16-2007 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #44
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Its the AARP of car clubs. You get to sit around and talk about the way things used to be. You get to complain about those young kids and their new gadgets. You put together a lobby to complain about them new fangled M5 and M6 cars to try to make them the way they used to be. Mostly its just a grump lot of people upset that the world is passing them by.
Awesome - well said.

But in reality, to each his own.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0