BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Out of the five vendors that I checked with, two are able to source these for a price of $835-$860 USD for a set. Or about $970 after shipping from EU and/or tax.

They're pricey.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 12-13-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #24
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
While these prices aren't final, I've found them for around $800 for a set. I should know more by tomorrow.
Back in 2008, they were $800 a set in Europe, and I could buy them from my friendly BMW dealer for twice that price. Buying them from the dealer was warranty neutral, but too expensive so I took a pass.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Back in 2008, they were $800 a set in Europe, and I could buy them from my friendly BMW dealer for twice that price. Buying them from the dealer was warranty neutral, but too expensive so I took a pass.
Check with EAS or bmminiparts.com. They can get them for half what BMW was charging you at the price I mention above.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
Schaffer
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

Pricy!! I'd buy a set of PFC 08 pads instead, must be half the price.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
According to my dealership they are tecnically identical to the oem rotors.
BMW want to sell some new rotors everytime one changes to the sport pads
My dealership installed the sport pads without changing the rotors, so there should not be any problems in terms of warranty as well.
The combination of new sport pads on used oem rotors works perfectly in my case, I could not be happier.
Am getting the Performance pads and rotors (specified to be used in conjunction with the Performance pads) installed next week so should be interesting to see what they are like. Also asked what the difference in the rotors given they have different part numbers but parts area didn't have a clear idea.
      03-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #28
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Indeed, these pads are also referred to as "S4007" by bmwfans.info. I've found two vendors who can source them, though they are pricey.

I dug into those PNs a little further, and according to Real OEM, the front sport pads are only to be used in conjunction with rotor numbers 34112283385 and 34112283386, which are the stock rotors that come on our cars. So far so good.

However, the rear sport pads are only to be used in conjunction with rotor numbers 34212283387 and 34212283388, which are different than the PNs for the rear rotors on our cars. The PNs for our rear rotors are 34112283801 and 34112283802.

Do you happen to know what the difference between xxx387/388 and xxx801/802 might be?
Thought the stock front discs were PNs:
34 11 2 283 801
34 11 2 283 802

and the rears are:
34 11 2 283 803
34 11 2 283 804

New ones that are to be used in conjunction with the 'sports' pads
34 11 2 283 385
34 11 2 283 386
34 11 2 283 387
34 11 2 283 388
      03-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #29
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Thought the stock front discs were PNs:
34 11 2 283 801
34 11 2 283 802

and the rears are:
34 11 2 283 803
34 11 2 283 804

New ones that are to be used in conjunction with the 'sports' pads
34 11 2 283 385
34 11 2 283 386
34 11 2 283 387
34 11 2 283 388
Did you ever pull the trigger on these pads? By the way, BMW often changes the PNs of their parts (probably to unify internal database updates, etc), while the actual part itself remains the same. That might be the case with the discrepancy in rotor PNs that you and I have been able to find.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #30
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you ever pull the trigger on these pads? By the way, BMW often changes the PNs of their parts (probably to unify internal database updates, etc), while the actual part itself remains the same. That might be the case with the discrepancy in rotor PNs that you and I have been able to find.
I did indeed! Pads and rotors are on the car, lots of squealing pulling up to traffic lights!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663240
      03-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did indeed! Pads and rotors are on the car, lots of squealing pulling up to traffic lights!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663240
I checked again, and realoem.com lists the stock front discs that are already equipped on our cars as x85 and x86, so I remain a little dubious that there's an actual difference in the rotors beyond a change in PNs. That said, how are the pads? Besides the squealing, can you tell a difference in bite, stopping power, and/or stopping distance? Do they create more dust?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #32
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I checked again, and realoem.com lists the stock front discs that are already equipped on our cars as x85 and x86, so I remain a little dubious that there's an actual difference in the rotors beyond a change in PNs. That said, how are the pads? Besides the squealing, can you tell a difference in bite, stopping power, and/or stopping distance? Do they create more dust?
Very weird just checked RealOEM and BMWfans and I still come up with the x801 x802 etc PN for the front discs. I'm entering Dec 2010 as production and have tried all the permutations of USA and Europe (LHD and RHD).

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...23&hg=34&fg=07

Nevertheless, I did a few hard braking exercises and given they are still being bedded in it's hard to say conclusively if they are better than stock in various aspects. The initial bite does seem to be very good though, pedal depression seems shorter than stock if that makes sense, sounds strange but I get that sensation (as I was saying in my build thread its almost as if the brake pedal sits a bit lower now OR doesn't depress as much as it did previously). Will need to spend more time with them and I'll definitely come back to you with how they are doing.
      03-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very weird just checked RealOEM and BMWfans and I still come up with the x801 x802 etc PN for the front discs. I'm entering Dec 2010 as production and have tried all the permutations of USA and Europe (LHD and RHD).

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...23&hg=34&fg=07

Nevertheless, I did a few hard braking exercises and given they are still being bedded in it's hard to say conclusively if they are better than stock in various aspects. The initial bite does seem to be very good though, pedal depression seems shorter than stock if that makes sense, sounds strange but I get that sensation (as I was saying in my build thread its almost as if the brake pedal sits a bit lower now OR doesn't depress as much as it did previously). Will need to spend more time with them and I'll definitely come back to you with how they are doing.
I noticed that the x385 and x386 have a production date of up to 01/2010 listed next to them, whereas the x801 and x802 don't have a date at all. The latter are also more expensive by $20 each, so maybe there is something different about them. I'd love to find out definitively what those differences are.

At any rate, do let me know how you end up liking those brakes. I may try to sweet talk my dealership into swapping out my stock pads and rotors for these ones when it comes time to replace them under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
I noticed that the x385 and x386 have a production date of up to 01/2010 listed next to them, whereas the x801 and x802 don't have a date at all. The latter are also more expensive by $20 each, so maybe there is something different about them. I'd love to find out definitively what those differences are.

At any rate, do let me know how you end up liking those brakes. I may try to sweet talk my dealership into swapping out my stock pads and rotors for these ones when it comes time to replace them under warranty.
I can chime in. While I didn't change my discs when I swapped to the Performance Sport Pads, the pads have performed brilliantly. Did a track day with them

and a long road trip in the hills and mountains, and they held up perfectly without noticeable brake fade. What I especially like is the increased pedal firmness, the decrease in pedal travel and the quicker bite response compared to stock.

Downsides are the incredible amount of squeal when there isn't a layer of pad material on the discs, and yes they do dust quite a bit when they are in the abrasive temperature range. Also, they rumble over the cross drilled holes noticeably, but disappear once adhesive temperature range is achieved.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #35
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
My RS29s are great on the street and track, also very quiet and good cold bite. Just bloody $$$$.
Next year I think Im going to install the RS29s in spring and leave them in till fall after track season.
Do you still recommend the RS29s? I would like to upgrade my pads to keep up with you guys on the track, but still need them usable for DD with little or no squealing... I'm happy to pay a bit more to get all that in one product.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
Do you still recommend the RS29s? I would like to upgrade my pads to keep up with you guys on the track, but still need them usable for DD with little or no squealing... I'm happy to pay a bit more to get all that in one product.
When I had stock brakes the squeeling was an issue on the street with all the dedicated track pads I tried including the Pagid RS19's.With the Stoptech
380/355 that I run on the new car this has been a minor annoyance compared to the stock setup which rivals a large truck with worn out brakes for noise with track pads in.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Downsides are the incredible amount of squeal when there isn't a layer of pad material on the discs, and yes they do dust quite a bit when they are in the abrasive temperature range. Also, they rumble over the cross drilled holes noticeably, but disappear once adhesive temperature range is achieved.
Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. Did you go through an Indy to get the pads sorted out?

How long has it been now with the pads on? I guess the question is are the discs that I've had to change out going to stand up to the pads longer than the stock ones (and ultimately as discussed with Aajami, are the stock discs the same as the ones I had changed in for them)
      03-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus
Quote:
Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. Did you go through an Indy to get the pads sorted out?

How long has it been now with the pads on? I guess the question is are the discs that I've had to change out going to stand up to the pads longer than the stock ones (and ultimately as discussed with Aajami, are the stock discs the same as the ones I had changed in for them)
I got them from BMW and fitted them myself. I had them for about 1500miles then swapped them back to the standard pads to save wear on the oem discs. The performance sports pads wear out the oem discs quicker especially when in their abrasive temperature range. You would have to constantly relayer the oem discs with the sport pad material to keep disc wear and squeal to a minimum, but this is impossible on normal driving, thus my decision to swap them back to the standard pads, then swap to the performance pads for track days and my long road trips.

As to the different discs that are meant to be fitted with the sport pads, I have no idea whether they are a more resilient compound, although realoem does state that the standard discs are not to be fitted with performance parts.

There are no magic pads that will do everything without any downsides. Lots of people have 2 sets.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #39
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got them from BMW and fitted them myself. I had them for about 1500miles then swapped them back to the standard pads to save wear on the oem discs. The performance sports pads wear out the oem discs quicker especially when in their abrasive temperature range. You would have to constantly relayer the oem discs with the sport pad material to keep disc wear and squeal to a minimum, but this is impossible on normal driving, thus my decision to swap them back to the standard pads, then swap to the performance pads for track days and my long road trips.

As to the different discs that are meant to be fitted with the sport pads, I have no idea whether they are a more resilient compound, although realoem does state that the standard discs are not to be fitted with performance parts.

There are no magic pads that will do everything without any downsides. Lots of people have 2 sets.
This is great info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #40
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
My nice BMW dealership just put M Performance Pads on my 2011 M3 E92 ZCP. They told me that they have to change the stock discs with Performance discs. It was a surprise for me because it wasn't mentioned on the BMW Switzerland webpage. It's really pricy in the end but the difference of costing will be take under the 3 years swiss warranty. Comparing the stock discs & pads, M Performance parts are around 2 KUSD expensive.

I don't have a lot of time to try my new M Performance bake compounds but all I can say is that it's very noisy and the pedal responsiveness is just awesome! I have to drive approximately 500kms (*break in period*). I think it's a great plus if you live in a mountains area like me (or if you track your car sometimes). If you live in the city those M Performance brake compounds are totally useless and probably annoying due to pads squeal. Neighborhood will kill you if you go home during night

I will give you more feedback soon.

Here are few pic I did yesterday:

Front:

Rear:

Last edited by Hedoniste; 04-22-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #41
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
My nice BMW dealership just put M Performance Pads on my 2011 M3 E92 ZCP. They told me that they have to change the stock discs with Performance discs. It was a surprise for me because it wasn't mentioned on the BMW Switzerland webpage. It's really pricy in the end but the difference of costing will be take under the 3 years swiss warranty. Comparing the stock discs & pads, M Performance parts are around 2 KUSD expensive.

I don't have a lot of time to try my new M Performance bake compounds but all I can say is that it's very noisy and the pedal responsiveness is just awesome! I have to drive approximately 500kms (*break in period*). I think it's a great plus if you live in a mountains area like me (or if you track your car sometimes). If you live in the city those M Performance brake compounds are totally useless and probably annoying due to pads squeal. Neighborhood will kill you if you go home during night

I will give you more feedback soon.
They are fantastic for spirited use and track days. I have still yet to find out what the actual difference is between the "standard" brake discs and the ones that are meant to be fitted with the M Performance Sport Pads. I've been using my M Performance Sport Pads with the standard discs without any issues apart from the tremendous amount of squeal. Here's another track day I did with them:

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #42
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
They are fantastic for spirited use and track days. I have still yet to find out what the actual difference is between the "standard" brake discs and the ones that are meant to be fitted with the M Performance Sport Pads. I've been using my M Performance Sport Pads with the standard discs without any issues apart from the tremendous amount of squeal. Here's another track day I did with them:

Thanks for your vid' and your comment.

I am happy with them. The difference is noticeable. Brakes are more powerful. I agree with you regarding the tremendous amount of squeal

I heard that discs came from pre-LCI M3 (2007-2010 M3)...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #43
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Sorry for brining up the old thread. Folks in the UK, care to share link/places where we can get it directly (am in the US).

US folks, any idea how we can obtain this? Dealer states special order 4 month wait etc.

Lastly, how did the pad wear? I am VERY interested in these sport pads.

Regards,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #44
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Sorry for brining up the old thread. Folks in the UK, care to share link/places where we can get it directly (am in the US).

US folks, any idea how we can obtain this? Dealer states special order 4 month wait etc.

Lastly, how did the pad wear? I am VERY interested in these sport pads.

Regards,

Lutfy
I'm sure others have purchased them from other cheaper sources but I got mine through a BMW dealer