BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G63, GLS63, X7M50 (inbound)

Best roads/road trips to take with your new E9X

With the expected arrival of my E93 at the end of the month or first week of May, I'm looking for suggestions for road trips you guys have done to really enjoy your M3s. Any suggestions on the east coast would be awesome, but I plan to take my E93 to Cali as well at some point and drive down Rte 1 sometime next year. I'd love to hear from everyone...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

By far the best was my Euro delivery, but the badlands in the US and the trip out to Oregon and Yellowstone was also outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Inerrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 BMW M3 E93

I pick mine up early may (PCD) and the drive back to VA/MD will be a nice "Get to know my car" drive. I already have a couple of quick trips planned (within reason due to gas prices).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

There are a lot of great driving roads close to NYC. These are videos of a Planet-9 (CAyman Club) run that I went on through the Catskills a couple of years ago. I was directly behind the car that took the video.

We will be doing a cruise to Harriman State Park/Bear Mountain in a few weeks and in June there will be a joint BMW/Porsche event to New Hampshire including a drive to the top of Mount Washington,

If you are interested in attending any of these events PM me.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
You should take a trip up to Canada then take a trip along the St Lawrence river, then around the Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
dave70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 cayenne turbo; 2013 MB GL

Also check out northern westchester, putnam, dutchess, up Taconic etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
There are a lot of great driving roads close to NYC. These are videos of a Planet-9 (CAyman Club) run that I went on through the Catskills a couple of years ago. I was directly behind the car that took the video.

We will be doing a cruise to Harriman State Park/Bear Mountain in a few weeks and in June there will be a joint BMW/Porsche event to New Hampshire including a drive to the top of Mount Washington,

CA
I'd be interested in Bear Mountain, if you're willing to take others along. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I'd be interested in Bear Mountain, if you're willing to take others along. Cheers
I'd definitely be interested. I'll PM you once the car comes in. pman - I'll PM you as well!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You should take a trip up to Canada then take a trip along the St Lawrence river, then around the Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave70 View Post
Also check out northern westchester, putnam, dutchess, up Taconic etc..
Rolf - I'm thinking of driving up to Montreal as well. So your suggestions fit right in. Thanks for that!

dave - done and done! Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
Cptn Mo 703
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet

Garage List
First of all congrats on the car.

I live right outside of DC and a buddy of mine who had a e92 335i and I decided to take our cars down to Atlanta to visit friends and the gf's dad. We decided to take Route 29 all the way down to 85 instead of 95. It was pretty nice, not a lot of car, had a lot of straights and turns.

Also I visited a friend up in New York maybe less than an hour out of the city, she lives in Garrison i think thats the name and there was this road running along the side of a mountain, i want to say it was Rt. 9 something to do with a bear if that helps at all. I liked it a lot. I had my e93 335i at the time and it was a blast with the top down.

You may want to check out the skyline runs we do. We have about 5-6 of them every year, and basically its about 20-30 BMW's sometimes a merc or lambo here and there, but we ride the back roads and twisties of VA, WVA and MD. Its a blast. Check up on the Mid-Atlantic Section in the next month or so and there should be another run in the planning. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510906

Congrats again, Enjoy the ///M
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
Rolf - I'm thinking of driving up to Montreal as well. So your suggestions fit right in. Thanks for that!

dave - done and done! Thanks mate
If you go don't miss Quebec City, much to see in the old town and fantastic nightlife too

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
You would be welcome to attend. As the plans come together I will let you guys know.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
I'd definitely be interested. I'll PM you once the car comes in. pman - I'll PM you as well!
Look forward to it! Did you find a parking spot yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Mo 703 View Post

I live right outside of DC and a buddy of mine who had a e92 335i and I decided to take our cars down to Atlanta to visit friends and the gf's dad. We decided to take Route 29 all the way down to 85 instead of 95. It was pretty nice, not a lot of car, had a lot of straights and turns.

Also I visited a friend up in New York maybe less than an hour out of the city, she lives in Garrison i think thats the name and there was this road running along the side of a mountain, i want to say it was Rt. 9 something to do with a bear if that helps at all. I liked it a lot. I had my e93 335i at the time and it was a blast with the top down.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510906

That's Bear Mountain. Probably the nicest roads in New York within an hour's drive. But really quite crowded in the spring, summer, and fall. You have to make sure to pay heed to the speed limits, too - plenty of highway patrol there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

If you have the time, drive all the way up the Atlantic coast to Mt Desert island and Acadia National Park. Continue north from there up to St John and take the ferry over to Nova Scotia.
      04-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Mo 703 View Post

Thanks Cptn! I'm making a checklist for each of the drives you guys have suggested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
If you go don't miss Quebec City, much to see in the old town and fantastic nightlife too
Rolf - I've never been to Quebec City, but I've added it to my list as well

Quote:
You would be welcome to attend. As the plans come together I will let you guys know.

CA
captainaudio - Thanks for the invite, both pman and I look forward to seeing you folks for some nice drives this summer...

Quote:
Look forward to it! Did you find a parking spot yet?
pman - I'm still researching; so far pier 40 seems most reasonable and the fact that it's self park makes it a no brainer for me. Believe it or not, I'm actually considering moving to Newport in Jersey city. Attached garage parking with the building... But it's hard to make the jump as you can imagine. Manhattan to Jersey is a big mental leap ;-)

I'll go take a look at pier 40 this week and see how it's like. Thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

If you do Hwy 1 in Cali, don't bother with any of it south of Santa Monica (LA)...from there north is great, though. I haven't taken it north from SF, but I hear it's still impressive in the north. Plus there are tons of great inland roads, too...and they're much less busy, if a bit less scenic. I'd love a trip through Joshua tree, grand canyon, the big national parks, parts of Canada in summer.... tons of great roads out there, and plenty close to home for you, too, but for a once-in-a-lifetime trip I'd definitely go nationwide.