BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
flfordfam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Steering Rack Boot

When I did my last oil change I noticed that I had a small tear in the rack and pinion boot close to the outer tie rod. I searched around and really haven't found much on the subject. I called my local BMW dealership and they said that they would have to take the rack completely off the car to replace the boot and perform a full alignment afterwards. They quoted me around $500 to replace both boots and perform the alignment. From my look under the car it appears that it would be as simple as pulling the outer tie rod end off, replacing the boot, getting the tie rod end back on as close as possible to where it was previously, and then having a shop set the toe back to normal. Maybe I'm missing something or not taking something into consideration but it seems like it would be like any other car that I've worked on. Is the dealership feeding me a bunch of crap or is their more involved than what I proposing? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

On my e46m, it was a matter of removing the tie rods and sliding a new boot on. One of the parts website has a kit including tie rod and boot. That shop is pulling a fast one on you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

I also thought the quote was high so I put together another using Mitchell Pro Demand.
This is the system many independent shops use and what we use in class. The labor rate is set at $100.00 per hour to keep the math easy for the students. If you do the work you will save all of the labor cost and maybe eliminate the alignment cost also. The parts price listed is the list price at the BMW dealer.

If you disassembly as you describe, but use a digital caliper to get an accurate before measurement the front toe-in will be very close and might be fine. None of the other alignment adjustments will have changed. These steps may help:
1. Do not remove the tie rod from the steering arm.
2. I usually back off the adjustment lock nut as far as it will go to the end of the threads.
3. Measure the distance from the lock nut face to the tie rod end face with a digital caliper and record the reading.
4. Then remove the tie rod and replace the boot.
5. Install the tie rod to the measured distance and tighten the lock nut.

Quote using Mitchell Pro Demand For: 2008 BMW M3 4.0L Eng

Labor
RACK & PINION BOOT - Remove & Replace [Includes: Adjust toe in on all models. DOES NOT include alignment.]
One Side - [Includes: R&I Outer Tie Rod End.]
Using labor rate of - - - $100.00 per hour

1.4 hours = $140.00

Parts
RACK & PINION BOOT Each 32 10 6 765 234 $47.42

Labor

FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT - Adjustment [DOES NOT include straightening or replacing of parts.] Both Axles
Using labor rate of - - - $100.00 per hour

1.6 hours = $160.00

Labor: $300.00
Parts: $47.42
Shop Supplies: $0.00
Hazardous Materials: $0.00
Labor Taxes: $0.00
Parts Taxes: $3.79 (California)

Total: $351.21
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
flfordfam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Awesome...Thank you both for the information. I really like the caliper idea, never thought of doing it that way before and I would assume it has to be pretty dead on especially with a digital caliper. I know on my car the tie rod end just has a pinch bolt/nut and no lock nut behind it but I'm sure there is a way to make it apply.
Appreciate 0