BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Rattling

I've been having a couple rattles from around the passenger side door and behind the rear seats ever since I got the car. I've taken it to the dealer and they pretty much say there isn't much they can do about it.

Is this bullshit? Should I try another dealership? Not really sure where to go with this problem or if it's really the dealerships responsibility. Anyone know what they do to get rid of rattles?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I've been having a couple rattles from around the passenger side door and behind the rear seats ever since I got the car. I've taken it to the dealer and they pretty much say there isn't much they can do about it.

Is this bullshit? Should I try another dealership? Not really sure where to go with this problem or if it's really the dealerships responsibility. Anyone know what they do to get rid of rattles?
It sucks. If you can show them something is loose or broken they will fix it, but it might take some smooth talking to get them to help you find it. The shop foreman has probably heard so many rattles that his ears could find it, if you can talk him into it.

Before you go too far, try buckling the rear seat belts, or padding them in some way, at least temporarily. On mine i was hearing the belts flap against the seat and the buckle receptacle bouncing off the center console.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
Before you go too far, try buckling the rear seat belts, or padding them in some way, at least temporarily. On mine i was hearing the belts flap against the seat and the buckle receptacle bouncing off the center console.
Never thought of this. I also have a slight rattle occasionally coming from the back area (not sure exactly where from, until now I though it was the ventilation/aircon duct grilles of the back seats), but never thought of the seat belts / buckles! I will try my luck later today and see where I get with this.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I can tell you for certain that my rattle IS from the back deck air duct, and I hate it. I told the dealer and they are going to fix it as soon as it arrives from Germany...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I can tell you for certain that my rattle IS from the back deck air duct, and I hate it. I told the dealer and they are going to fix it as soon as it arrives from Germany...
Mine might as well be from there, but I can't do anything (I have tried punching the console but nothing). If it isn't the seat belts/buckles then next time I bring it in I will also ask them to look into this.

Let me know if the dealer fixed it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

Quote:

From the day I drove my car home there has been rattling in the backseat. I recently just noticed the same rattle you speak of (passenger's side area), and can't put my finger on it no matter what. I don't know if it's the passenger's seat, glove compartment, cupholder, etc. Oh, and the rattling from the rear seats is still there
      08-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

My glovebox without anything inside of it makes a shit load of noise and it drives me crazy
I open it and inside the fuse box cover rattles and shakes non-stop too

I showed my SA and they are hesitant and going around fixing the problem because I have extended leather so the actual glove box is more expensive.

Only other rattle is the passenger side door pouch box thing w/e its called
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

I have the same problem and have brought the car in several times for it. It will rattle the entire way there, and once I get the shop foreman in for a test drive, it is flawless. I spent 20 minutes lying down in the front passenger seat and rear driver area last night listening for the rattles. It sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the rear seat, like the seat belt units, and then also one from around the rear shelf. There is almost a cracking noise when the car has been sitting in the sun and I drive slowly out of uneven pavement, like down a driveway on to the street. I will try the seatbelt padding, but if someone else has a breakthrough, please let us know!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
My main "annoying sound" is actually friction between the mouse fir on the door seals where it touches the creaky (when hot) shadowline door sourrounds/trim on our Sedan.

The coupes likely do not have the same issue.

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
m3tor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
I've been having a couple rattles from around the passenger side door.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
...I recently just noticed the same rattle you speak of (passenger's side area), and can't put my finger on it no matter what. I don't know if it's the passenger's seat, glove compartment, cupholder, etc. ....
Glad to hear its not just me. I've had a rattle in the passenger door since I picked the car up in March 2008. Have tried a few things

1) dealer was convinced it was my iDrive knob - WTF? - they replaced it and of course had nothing to do with rattle so its still there

2) dealer took door panel off and couldn't find anything. When they put the panel back on they broke some of the clips so then the rattling got worse

3) dealer took door panel off again and told me some clips were broken. No kidding. They replaced clips and added some felt inside door panel. It hasn't helped the rattle

4) I'm convinced the rattle is the following: there are what I call map pockets in the door. One that flips out (the front one) and one that's fixed (further back in the door). The fixed one has a hard plastic liner/bin - if I press on the hard plastic liner it makes the same noise that I get when it rattles over bumps. Its like the seal between the hard plastic of the liner and the soft material of the door panel isn't there / not sure if there's glue between the surfaces and it didn't take properly or what.

Asked them to replace hard plastic liner and/or reglue it or add some felt around the liner. They tell me they can't order the part individually but need to order a whole new door panel. Huh?...

Anyway - they won't do anything further until I take the shop foreman on a road test and get the rattle to occur. Need to get around to scheduling that....

Please let me know if anyone else gets their rattle fixed - sound similar to mine
2002 E46 M3 Carbon Black / Imola Red, 6 speed, 19s - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

I have the same rattle that you had at rear seat air condition grills on my e92 m3 and had the same rattle on my e92 3.20 which I sold 4 months ago. I am/was the first owner of both cars and could'n find any solution for the rattles except getting used to them. I also have rattle coming from odometer area.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i get a rattle from the sunroof i think and the cup holder region...the sunroof one only happens when it is open, its really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Rattles are like black magic but I can say Lagunae2, your problem is definetly the exterior side view mirrors. Think i'm nuts, open the door and give a little shear twist. The hot sun description - dead on. The mirror bottom touches the window trim and in the heat, expansion and friction make it much worse. My ESPN is telling me that when you roll around a parking lot at slow speed with either speed bumps or varying terrain - not pothole - your car sounds like the plastic on a Chry Sebring. With windows up, it sounds like the rattles are coming from ALL OVER! Especially the rear or B-Pillar area. Before you tear everything apart looking for voodoo doll, check your side mirrors. You're welcome
      08-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Before you tear everything apart looking for voodoo doll, check your side mirrors.
How about pics and your solution ? Then he might thank you .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Mine rattles just above my head in the area where the interior lights are located. I'm still contemplating doing anything about, as some times the dealer will screw it up even more .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

I'll have to check it out...of course it is not hot today!

Ok Eliminator, I gave the mirrors a twist, and the sound is familiar to what I hear. So yes, if you have a solution, that'd be awesome. It often sounds like a metallic noise, but because it seems to only really happen when the sun has been beating on the car for a bit, I am curious to see about the mirrors...thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

I can tell you what doesn't work for sure! I'm going Brittany Spears with these dam mirror rattles. Here's what does NOT work. WD-4, ArmorAll, Chemical Guys Spray Detailer and 'lift and stick a shim in there'. I tried those simple solutions to no avail. The sprays just don't seem to penetrate at all and I can't budge the mirror off the window trim to even stick a piece of paper under there. Didn't want to ream it too much. What does work is 1. remove the interior trim panel - DIY on the forum somewhere - 2. remove the mirror housing and 3. put a small piece of felt tape on the window trim so you don't see it and put it all back together. I'm still looking for an easier solution as I don't want to create squeaks or rattles by removing and replacing trim. Any idea? I've pinpointed the problem to the 4" area where the mirror housing literally sits on the door trim... bad idea to have contact and I can't believe BMW didn't catch this. Both mirrors do it. It can be envoked by opening the door and twisting the door or pushing on the mirror housing. Much worse in the heat. I have an E90. July 08 build. Maybe they fixed it soon after. Dunno. Maybe it's only sedans.

ELP JC -- LOL! Did i come off a little cocky? LOL Nailed it though, like Ace Ventura on the hotel room scene on the balcony discovering sound proof glass so there was NO WAY she could have heard that scream! You with me!?
      08-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunae92 View Post
I'll have to check it out...of course it is not hot today!

Ok Eliminator, I gave the mirrors a twist, and the sound is familiar to what I hear. So yes, if you have a solution, that'd be awesome. It often sounds like a metallic noise, but because it seems to only really happen when the sun has been beating on the car for a bit, I am curious to see about the mirrors...thanks
On the mirror squeak I had (do you have folding mirrors?) this was how my dealer fixed it:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=36

See the other thread, lots of people complaining about this.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Chop the top off and roll top down like me JJ. Then all you'll hear is woooooooooosh, stereo, and exhaust. Weeeeeeee
      08-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Just as a generic rattle fix, try releasing your rear seats, then locking them again. Usually works for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #21
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

There are plenty of rattles where that came from. It's killing me....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #22
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've driven two E92s and both of them have the same type of rattle from nearly the same source.

The pass. door rattle you are referring to can be solved by inserting a piece of cardboard, felt, etc. between the inner door panel and the door.

The rear pass rattle is probably the shelf or something... still haven't figured it out to date. Need longer arms...
Appreciate 0